Which DJ's just fell off the map completely?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Which DJ's just fell off the map completely?

Post by Restless » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:37 am

Local Midlands DJ's like Luke, Mongoose, MRB, Ratty (to an extent), Fallout and Tango just kind of disappeared altogether after '94.

Then there was DJ's like Rap, Jack Frost, Etc that although were massive in the Jungle scene, they kind of fizzled out, IMO when it came to bookings, in the D&B scene.

Who, iyo, just kind of disappeared/fell off the map after the mid 90's who were big nationally and locally from the early 90's?

dj jedi

Re: Which DJ's just fell off the map completely?

Post by dj jedi » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:13 am

I think it would be fair to put Ellis Dee in that category. Without doubt the biggest (and my favourite) hardcore DJ of 92 and 93, but then just couldn't really keep up technically or musically after that. I know he had his Collusion label with Swan-e but I don't think anybody would say it was a classic label, or that he was a seminal Drum & Bass DJ or producer compared to people like Bukem, Hype, Nicky Blackmarket, Goldie etc. A bit of an outcast considering how massive he was a few years earlier.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:27 am

Great shout.

I've always thought that he was an awful DJ, but he was certainly a top-tier name.

dj_yt
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dj_yt » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:24 pm

Maybe a little harsh to say he fell off the map, but Easygroove certainly remained a more underground name and taste. Definitely one of my favourite DJs from back in the day! I really like the chaotic and surprising nature of his sets. They have a wonderful unpredictable feel to them, without sounding a mess. Also respect the way he didn't go balls deep into slightly boring/serious jungle like most of the jocks.

Is he doing ok now? I know he was in hospital a little while ago.

eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by eazyflow » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:33 pm

dj jedi wrote:I think it would be fair to put Ellis Dee in that category. Without doubt the biggest (and my favourite) hardcore DJ of 92 and 93, but then just couldn't really keep up technically or musically after that. I know he had his Collusion label with Swan-e but I don't think anybody would say it was a classic label, or that he was a seminal Drum & Bass DJ or producer compared to people like Bukem, Hype, Nicky Blackmarket, Goldie etc. A bit of an outcast considering how massive he was a few years earlier.
Ellis did keep up musically, and appeared at tons of events until around '97:

Big Up Yer Chest
One For The Ladies
Loving You
Lock Down
The Real Killer
97 Style

Were all huge, and still highly regarded...

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:40 pm

Sure he was around those years, but not regarded as one of the elite DJs any more. I doubt anybody would put him in their top 5 94-97 jungle/D&B DJs, where as pretty much everybody would have him in their 91-93 top 5. So I agree he didn't vanish completely, but when you look at lists like this of the most highly regarded DJs, labels, tracks etc from the jungle era, I've never seen his name on one of them.

http://www.timeout.com/london/music/the ... -ever-made

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:55 pm

dj jedi wrote:Sure he was around those years, but not regarded as one of the elite DJs any more. I doubt anybody would put him in their top 5 94-97 jungle/D&B DJs, where as pretty much everybody would have him in their 91-93 top 5. So I agree he didn't vanish completely, but when you look at lists like this of the most highly regarded DJs, labels, tracks etc from the jungle era, I've never seen his name on one of them.

Agreed.

I can think of 10-15 names straight off the bat that I'd choose over Ellis from that era.

Also - and these are two of them - Gachet & Ron: They also fell off when Jungle morphed into D&B.

eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by eazyflow » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:37 pm

dj jedi wrote:Sure he was around those years, but not regarded as one of the elite DJs any more. I doubt anybody would put him in their top 5 94-97 jungle/D&B DJs, where as pretty much everybody would have him in their 91-93 top 5. So I agree he didn't vanish completely, but when you look at lists like this of the most highly regarded DJs, labels, tracks etc from the jungle era, I've never seen his name on one of them.

That isn't the same as "falling off completely" though is it?

I'm probably being a pedant here (Whodafunkit on on oldskool forum!?) but Ellis was still putting out big tunes and playing on the regs at the big raves (Skelter/Dreamscape etc...). Whether people would regard him as being in the top tier is another matter, but I wouldn't say he actaully fell off into total irrelevance until around '99...

Thrash
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Thrash » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:16 pm

dj_gyr8

eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by eazyflow » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:15 pm

Thrash wrote:dj_gyr8
:lol:

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:04 am

Hi,

Surely this is an easy question to answer...

Simply look at the 1992 flyers, then those from 1993 - which ever DJ's fail to appear, obviously 'fell off the map'

Note: "DJ GYR8" never existed before 1994, that name was only ever used for Jungle...

lentrix
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by lentrix » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:02 pm

lol (thankfully) - most of the 'happy hardcore' dj's ....

To survive Billy D Bunter had to totally reinvent himself - most others are gone....

Most of the DJ's that disappr do so because they fail to adapt to the music or don't like the new direction and get into another genre

dj_yt
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dj_yt » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:54 pm

Most of the happy hardcore DJs are still going strong from what I can see? It surprises me after 20 years how many of them I can still go and see playing on a regular basis.

Vibes, Dougal, Brisk, Sy, Ramos, Jimmy J, Luna-C and Slipmatt are all still playing out. True they might not be playing 100% happy hardcore, but all of those guys were DJs long before the happy scene...

Seduction is about the only big name exception that I can think of.

djdeeenbee
Regular
Regular

Post by djdeeenbee » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:53 pm

In case anyone didn't know, DJ Ham switched sides a few years ago from Hardcore to D&B and now produces for Ram under the name Hamilton.

DJ Chance
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by DJ Chance » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:59 pm

I didnt know that about Ham however I am well out of tocuh with DnB these days.

Here is an interview from a while back with him
http://www.kmag.co.uk/editorial/feature ... rview.html