Moondance this Sat - anyone going ?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
lentrix
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Moondance this Sat - anyone going ?

Post by lentrix » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:36 pm

I now it's pretty commercial - but i've got a couple of tickets at the last minute - anyone going ?

All i know is that it's going to be hot in there !!!!

dj jedi

Re: Moondance this Sat - anyone going ?

Post by dj jedi » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:10 pm

Nah, even though it's 5 minutes from where I live I can't face going. I have been to quite a few over the years and they have been pretty good in the past, but last year's was the icing on the cake for me. It's such a shame - amazing venue, amazing crowd, the busiest old skool event going, but the music and choice of DJs in the main room has been utter crap the last few years. 30 minute back-to-back sets all night, I feel sorry for the few decent DJs that are on the line up that get about 15 minutes each. Most of the night plays the cheesiest old skool you can possibly imagine - in fact many of the sets aren't even old skool! I enjoy the odd anthems set, but not a whole evening of Blue Pearl and Rave Breaks remixes. And come on, DANNY BYRD headlining!? It's supposed to be an old skool event, not T in the Park for 14 year olds. I'm sure it will be busy and everyone will rave about it, but I'd rather go to a half-empty event with decent music than listen to dross all night.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:14 pm

dj jedi wrote:Nah, even though it's 5 minutes from where I live I can't face going. I have been to quite a few over the years and they have been pretty good in the past, but last year's was the icing on the cake for me. It's such a shame - amazing venue, amazing crowd, the busiest old skool event going, but the music and choice of DJs in the main room has been utter crap the last few years. 30 minute back-to-back sets all night, I feel sorry for the few decent DJs that are on the line up that get about 15 minutes each. Most of the night plays the cheesiest old skool you can possibly imagine - in fact many of the sets aren't even old skool! I enjoy the odd anthems set, but not a whole evening of Blue Pearl and Rave Breaks remixes. And come on, DANNY BYRD headlining!? It's supposed to be an old skool event, not T in the Park for 14 year olds. I'm sure it will be busy and everyone will rave about it, but I'd rather go to a half-empty event with decent music than listen to dross all night.
I sense a purist! Hehe. ;-)

I'm the same, Jedi. 60 minute sets (minimum) from DJ's who were BIG names or very relevant back then. Booking Danny Byrd is hilarious!

GMAN1992
Regular
Regular

Post by GMAN1992 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:44 am

Love Camden Palace but have to agree with Jedi, I loved Moondances in early 2000's with Mc Mc hosting all night but have to question why they are now booking Danny Byrd as the headliner- definitely strange! Will still be a good crack tho I would imagine and storm and Randall won't disappoint that's guaranteed but as you say will be a sweatbox in this humidity!, go in shorts ;)

lentrix
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by lentrix » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:43 pm

Agree the early 1's were a lot better.

As for Danny Bryd, i admit its weird having him there at an 'old skool' event, but he actually is a good DJ/Producer. i've heard him quite a few times and always produces a good set and i like his style and his label style too (Hospital.

I reckon he'll be better than having to listen to Ratpack !!!!!!!

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:37 pm

Elusive9T2 wrote:Please don't play tracks off the mrs doubtfire soundtrack ](*,)
:lol: that's exactly it - I don't consider myself a purist, I'll happily go to an event that plays fairly mainstream old skool hardcore, but as Dave says "Moondance Classics" or whatever they try to brand it as isn't even old skool, regardless of whether they are anthems or not. Sadly that's why it's busy, and the 2,000 people that go don't go to any other (real) old skool events.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:33 pm

I agree lads.

Great shout on the jive bunny line. Anyone else find it sad and creepy that we're going out and the entertainment is provided by men who are nearly 50 years old? I am! It's like the Acid House version of a bloated Elvis!

I remember before when Lipmaster Mark dropped a Faithless "Rave-Breaks" remix as the NYE tune! Man I was disappointed. These guys are the equivalent of prostitutes, but in a musical capacity.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:26 pm

Elusive9T2 wrote:They don't care mate, they are raking in the cash right now, with no shame at all
Going though the motions for the money

I heard a big DJ out last month, he couldn't mix 2 records together & he has been in the game for 25 years plus
You only have one job Mr DJ & you can't even get that right....enjoy that £500 an hour won't you :roll:
There needs to be some sort of backlash against this lazy lot,
Instead of kissing their asses & booking them without question on their name alone
I think I can count on one hand the amount of old skool DJ's I have respect for now

The more I go out the less I care about the scene, as they only care about the money & not the music they play to people
Oh I agree. There are PLENTY of DJ's from '91 that are no better now than they was 23 years ago!

How hard is it to keep TWO records in sync? I understand that EVERY DJ falls off at some point, but you should still be at a really respectable level when you do fall off.

Who did you hear out? The only DJ's from this scene that I have respect for are Mark Archer, Pilgrim and Faydz.

deebom
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by deebom » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:23 am

*Has never even heard of Danny Byrd.

thumbzo
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by thumbzo » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:31 am

deebom wrote:*Has never even heard of Danny Byrd.
Count yourself lucky mate!

phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by phil » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:41 am

well im djing at Labrynth 9th august in main room and I wont be playing sweet harmony

phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by phil » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:42 am

deebom wrote:*Has never even heard of Danny Byrd.
make that 2 of us

lentrix
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by lentrix » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:03 pm

Well i went - it was as expected !!

Place was packed and hot - there were plenty of people in a mess !!!!!

Got there at 12, last of 'Twistas'(??) set - vinyl mainly at least.

The decks didn't come back on till DJ Storm & Randall played at the end (1 of the better sets)

The rest was 'commercial' rave tbh. Very poor from Bunter / Slipmat - i think they just plugged in their computers and pressed the MoonDance button !!!

Crappack - slightly better than normal - but still a few breaks and non-hardcore tunes (wtf!)

Phantasy played 95 -98 DnB which was ok but on CDJ's (i expected better of him tbh)

On Danny Byrd, i thought he played quite a good set - although it was all on CD/PC - it was obvious that he had taken some time to put the set together and mixed new DnB with oldskool'mega mixes' in with it - which worked ok.

Don't think you can slag him off too much - he is not an 'old skool' DJ - if you follow new DnB, he is pretty good (imo)and plays the 'liquid (intelligent) side of DnB.