Labels that were consistently poor

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
DJ ABO
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Re: Labels that were consistently poor

Post by DJ ABO » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:48 pm

Bit shocked to find Labello in here, made in 2 minutes, macka brown part 2 ep, smokey Joe gimme my gun, criminal minds drumz of doom, audley boys-musics so wonderful, peoples station, the force, there is a tune on clear vinyl from '92 that is quality too...there was a large output with some very mediocre releases but still a great label IMO :)

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:20 pm

Agreed, Labello, Formation, Deep Seven, the scene wouldn't have been the same without them! I love the rough round the edges production on Formation, though they definitely did have their fair share of dodgy releases too.

Production House though, classic after classic on there! Probably in my top 5 labels. How can you not love Acen and Dyce? :D

Magical.

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:40 am

Production House = absolute quality \:D/ [-X

Ric
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Post by Ric » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:45 am

Labello never hit the mark for me much either. Dare I say it, Strictly Underground were often hit and miss.
Production House were always excellent.

Sent using Tapatalk

ske
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by ske » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:55 am

Boogie beat, kniteforce, labello, formation all big labels that were inconsistent of churning out classics on the regs compared to the likes of moving shadow, reinforced production house, sub base...

Ill prob get slaughtered for this I only own 5 basement records and never really liked they're 4x4 style bitd
Saying that looking back now there are a quite a few more tunes I like now than then, funny how the ear changes!

AtomSmasher
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by AtomSmasher » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:17 pm

Ric wrote:Dare I say it, Strictly Underground were often hit and miss.

Sent using Tapatalk
Agreed - I wouldn't say they were consistently poor though.....just a bit unimaginative?

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:53 pm

One label that I've always thought were well under par given there reputation was "Ibiza Records'.

stuz74
Regular
Regular

Post by stuz74 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:07 am

Production House for hardcore was constantly brilliant right up until their jungle releases, but they also put out a load of dull house and R&B, so would have to put them into the imperfect category. Guess you could also commend them for having an eclectic roster of artists if you like those styles?

Mr_Geese
Regular
Regular

Post by Mr_Geese » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:58 am

mendoza

lentrix
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by lentrix » Thu May 02, 2013 1:18 pm

Got to be 'Strictly Underground' - had 2 or 3 early successes - but the rest are just wank.

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Thu May 02, 2013 3:04 pm

lentrix wrote:Got to be 'Strictly Underground' - had 2 or 3 early successes - but the rest are just wank.
Hi,

Always thought it really odd, how Strictly were SOOOO protective about people playing their tracks without paying MCPS, royalties, people pirating their tracks...

I could understand if they were Reinforced, Suburban Base, or Moving Shadow, but they had 90% rubbish tracks, that nobody even cared about.

Always saw their vinyls in the bargain bins, nobody wanted them

Heartburn Music
Regular
Regular

Post by Heartburn Music » Thu May 02, 2013 4:43 pm

Really interesting discussion...

I agree with the people who are saying Formation. Though I would say they were a bit more innovative than a lot of other labels, I've tried and tried to get into their tunes, but besides a few like Tango "Future Followers" and that 007 EP I can't. I thought some of them were kind of... too strange at times, the melodies and beats put together just weren't dancefloor friendly or aesthetically friendly. HOWEVER, I think F Project was consistent and excellent. I love almost every release on there. Disagree on Kniteforce and Reel 2 Reel (+ it's family of labels) as well, Kniteforce is a bit "out there" but there were a lot of good releases, especially if you're into the Hyper On Experience kind of style, and Reel 2 Reel has a really nice low budget feel about it that I like.

One label I think was overrated that hasn't been mentioned yet is Impact. All the breakbeat hardcore era stuff on there sounded really ropey to me, and used really generic stabs and samples without varying the formula much. Mendoza, Labello Blanco were average for the same reason. There are only so many times I can hear those Spectrum "Brazil" stabs and the like before the bore the hell out of me.

Strictly Underground was pretty good in my opinion. Those last few labels were way less creative in my opinion, there were some great tunes like these...

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Thu May 02, 2013 5:17 pm

Hi,

But think, Strictly put out 100s of releases BITD, and had many sub-labels. There were only really 5 good releases, so really, it was consistently poor.

The word consistent imply's releases, after release, after release.

BITD when I received vinyls, it did get annoying when every few weeks you got a vinyl from the same label, and each time it was rubbish.

May be with Strictly it felt more annoying, as I got the vinyls from Power, but also from virgin, so ended up with 2 copies of rubbish.

I really don't think Impact was consitantly poor, sure there were a few odd releases 1-30, but most were really good. Perhaps if you didn't like the in-house arrangement, then you'd not like the releases.

nebkins
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by nebkins » Thu May 02, 2013 8:21 pm

Strictly Underground was not a poor label. They had loads of quality releases. Just because they werent played by Ratpack, Slipmatt and Randall or whoever doesnt mean they werent any good!

Paul Zykotik
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Paul Zykotik » Thu May 02, 2013 9:01 pm

Yeah I like a lot of Strictly output. Off the top of my head, Dancehall Dangerous (all mixes), Tigers In Space, Protein, Caught With A Spliff, Get Down, Fantasy UFO, Move Your Feet, Heidi's Dream, FB1, Mash Up The Speakers are all quality tunes. There'll be plenty more as well.

The sub-labels argument doesn't hold up either IMO, given one of those was Vicious Pumpin Plastic and there's some serious tunes on that.