Labels that were consistently poor

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
dj jedi

Labels that were consistently poor

Post by dj jedi » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:25 pm

I was just flicking through my collection and noticed a couple of labels that were huge BITD, but I don't own many of their releases because I don't like the vast majority of them.

The first that springs to mind is Labello Blanco - They put out shit loads of records, probably over 100, and had lots of big artists such as Nookie, Bug Kann, Gachet, Ray Keith, Steve Gurley etc etc, but there are a staggeringly low amount of good tunes. I only have about 10 of their releases, and of those only 2 I consider 'must haves', the rest I could live without. Amazing that such a big and well backed label can put out so many poor quality releases (IMO of course.)

Any others you can think of?

Mr_Geese
Regular
Regular

Re: Labels that were consistently poor

Post by Mr_Geese » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:06 pm

I gotta agree about blanco.

Got a few decent 94 95 things that i rate, legalize few of those massive v hard stepper promos other than those i dont think i got a single 92 or 93 tune

This one will probably make me a bit unpopular but i dont like deep seven, i got deep4 which i love and the repress of 10 but i never bothered with the others, i would go as far as saying they are poor, but they've never jumped out at me to get them

liquid wax, again i wouldn't say poor just okish

after dark, not a fan, got a couple of tracks off of it

Production house

Boogie beat, with the exception of the 2 baraka tunes that are from 95 i do not own or am after a single tune on that label, maybe i should go back and have a listen, opinions can change

cozza
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by cozza » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:02 pm

I am probably gonna get slaughtered for saying this but I have never rated Formation Records
I think I only own one tune on the label (and even the name of that escapes me now??)
I know the label is highly rated on this forum (Tango etc) but I just don't 'get it'

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:07 pm

I can see why Formation wouldn't appeal to some people, the production on most of the tracks is shocking. The Bell by Ratty is a good example, huge potential but ruined by the typical Formation farty bass.

I do think there are a few blinders though. Music in Search of Light Remix is one, great darkside 93 track and a rare well produced Formation track.

oldskoolforever
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Post by oldskoolforever » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:08 pm

obviously HNR springs to mind immediately !

Labello Blanco, think i only have 3 or 4... the rest i passed on, not a great label considering the amount of releases they had.

Boogie Beat has quite a few dodgy ones, but couldn't say they were 'consistently poor'

I think Formation were consistently poor after 25 or so releases.

Don't agree with Liquid Wax, Production House or Deep Seven though - great labels IMO.

deebom
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by deebom » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:29 pm

I agree about Formation. E label were mostly crap too. Labello Blanco were quite crap but had some real Gems.

phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by phil » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:17 pm

apart from hnr im shocked lol

nebkins
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by nebkins » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:46 pm

I think if a label would have been consistently poor back in the day it would not have been able to survive for long so there really isnt that many of them that fit this criteria.

Saying that Boogie Beat and Labello Blanco had there share of shit tunes although there are some gems on both.

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:24 pm

I'm sorry, I can't agree with the Labello Blanco bad-repping. One of my favourite labels, and they definitely seemed to have a sound that was unique to the label 1992/93 ish.

pete.devnull
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by pete.devnull » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:32 pm

I don't agree about Liquid Wax, I know it's down to personal taste but I think that one's worth justifying.
The thing about them is they really specialized in more vibey, less melodic, borderline jungle technoey tunes. Maybe not the tune you'd remember most from a mix since there's not loads of catchy vocals or melodies at the forefrnot, but really fun to mix and incorporating lots of good elements (strong bboy electro feel in some tracks though I think they thought it was "techno"). That's definitely a label I go back to more and more and find random releases which totally kill me now and are super fun to mix, though I didn't give them nearly as much mind 10 years ago or so.

HNR gotta be the one for me. No disrespect to that guy and obv a couple good ones but crazy low hit rate.

Formation I've been thinking the exact opposite... maybe because a lot of those tunes have been getting posted for sale on ebay on dub as of late but some crazy "unknowns" that I'm super into have turned out to be totally random "no-big-deal" formation releases which go for almost nothing. There's def some dodgey tunes / music decisions on occasion (could really go without any of SS's singing.. if that's who was singing on some of the tunes... "hardcoooar...." etc) and a lot of repetition / reused sounds, but, if you love those sounds like I do, quite hard to complain :)

The_Ruffneck
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by The_Ruffneck » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:03 am

Man from uncle was pretty bad, more of a mid 90s one though...

Spangle8
Regular
Regular

Post by Spangle8 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:46 am

Formation definitely for me id have to agree, some great releases; but few and far between with the majority having the formation farty bass. which in my opinion sounded awful.

pete.devnull
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by pete.devnull » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:05 pm

Picking records for today's radio show (btw 92 special in 5 hrs on http://jungletrain.net ;) </spam>), I ended up going through all my Reel 2 Reel records, like 10 of em or so. As much as I like De Underground + think that stable of labels is kinda underrated, the majority of stuff on this particular one is pretty damn mediocre given how many releases they put out.

phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by phil » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:43 pm

formation are one of my faves - so many great tunes imo - maybe just me then

jonny
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by jonny » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:45 pm

Whatever about Labello Blanco but certainly not Formation records. :-\