What's the oldest mix of your own that you still have?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
dj jedi

What's the oldest mix of your own that you still have?

Post by dj jedi » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:18 pm

While sorting out some MP3s I noticed a set I recorded in 1998, which freaked me out slightly as back then the 'old' records I was playing would have only been 4 years old, which is like doing a 2008 "old skool mix" now! :?

But anyway it got me thinking, thanks to the digital age we probably all have lots of recent recordings of our mixes, but what's the oldest mix that you still have? I'll start with the above which is 14 years old. I'll upload it if anyone's interested, it's a 94 happy hardcore mix.

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: What's the oldest mix of your own that you still have?

Post by rage » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:24 pm

I've got one from 93 on my soundcloud..

www.djrage.co.uk

I have a couple more on cassette that I will get round to ripping at some point!

LOON-E
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by LOON-E » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:26 pm

Got a couple of tapes from 95 and 96...hard techno/gabba :)i didnt get a set of decks till 94

LOON-E

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:28 pm

rage wrote:I've got one from 93 on my soundcloud..
Nice, an authentic old skool mix 8)

I think the first tape I ever made was in 1996, still got the case I made but the tape is long gone :(

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:44 pm

Yeah tapes had a habit of disappearing didn't they. I would have had a lot more if they hadn't of gone walkabout! I used to have a lot of my radioactive sets from that time but I've only got one left now from late 94, I'd love to hear them again.

I quite like that mix. Pretty sure it was 93 but it may have been early 94 as there wasn't a date on it. It did the rounds on our estate back then and brings back some good memories. It's a much happier selection than I would play in a 93 set now, dont know if that's a good thing or not!

phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by phil » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:54 pm

ive got quite a few from 92-96 but they are all badly mixed

AtomSmasher
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by AtomSmasher » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:06 am

I don't think i've got any of mine pre-2000: There was definitely 2 doing the rounds at some point. A mix from early 94 and a tape of me playing at a birthday party from mid-94. Of the 2 the first is long gone with my ex, but the latter may be in my 'tape' shoe box in the loft. Mixing on both was probably just about acceptable!
Around 99-2000 when i was living with my mates i used to do tapes every week - i threw them out years ago when i moved house.....

So the oldest ones i've got now are from 2005ish i reckon - good old digital!

Paul Zykotik
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Paul Zykotik » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:03 am

While clearing out a whole load of tapes the other week (don't get excited - loads of sets that can easily be grabbed on the net), I found a C90 labelled "Techno Goatee Beats". Straight away I knew this was one of my sets as it was from a period where I had an ill-advised goatee beard #-o That's from around late 99/early 2000. Just standard hard techno, lots of loops as was the big thing at the time. The mixing is...interesting. I seem more intent on bad chopping rather than actually doing any proper mixing, meaning that I leave myself about 20 seconds of each tune in which to bring in the next one.

I might whack it up here if anyone's really bothered. The tunes are excellent, at least. Sign of old age though - I can't remember what half of them are!

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:18 pm

Hi,

Still have a lot of old cassette tapes, I'm sure the quality is piss poor now, as you know what its like if they get damp.

I never listened back to my cassettes really, it was more for other people, so I only really kept them if they weren't all-that.

I guess I've still got ones from 1991

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:36 pm

oldest mix i have is from 2004 i think - very soon after i got turntables. lots of pitched up old dutch / scottish hardcore. i could mix, but wasn't that consistent, and there are some amazing clangs :D my decks then were pretty awful too, soundlabs - direct drive, but you still needed to constantly adjust to keep a mix going.
Paul Zykotik wrote:from a period where I had an ill-advised goatee beard #-o
:lol: :lol: wow, i'm having trouble picturing it, but nevertheless... :lol:

nebkins
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by nebkins » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:56 pm

I think i still have some tapes that i used to make on my shitty (but amazingly functional) Alba Stereo from around 1994-95. By no means where they mixed though. I was able to play a CD at the same time as a record so i would time how long intros lasted and try and meld together the limited jungle CD's and records i actually owned at the time (which was probably Drum & Bass Selection Vol 2 and about ten 12"'s). There is also some shitty scratching where i discovered my old childrens records downstairs and tried to inject some Hansel & Gretel bizniss into the "mix"!!

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:15 pm

Some familiar stories! As said unfortunately I don't have it any more, but I think on my first 'mix tape' rather than mix I played a long wind sample from one of my dad's old records in between each track to try and blend them :oops: Oh and I also used to play 'Oops Up' by Snap on 45 as it sounded vaguely like a hardcore tune :lol:

oldskoolforever
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Post by oldskoolforever » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:01 pm

still have some of my original useless 91 mixes which i'd never upload ! Then some better attempts in '92 and '93 (!). Will have to rip them sometime, good for a giggle and actually always gets my head scratching about IDs too, even though I know I still have the tunes as never sold anything i bought BITD.

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:41 pm

This thread needs more audio!

Nebkins for some reason I thought you had been mixing since the acid days, dunno where I got that from!

Found my first flyer on google too :D

drift
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by drift » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:30 pm

The earliest recording will be '97 I think. Not oldskool though, that one's house. Then I think I still have the first demo tape that I made around '98 which is hard house, around the same time as I got my first booking. Then I've got a D&B mix from around 2000ish. Earliest oldskool mix is probably around the same time.