Did you ever embrace new DJ technology?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Did you ever embrace new DJ technology?

Post by Restless » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:58 pm

The Serato's, CDJ's, Ableton's, Laptops etc? Or have you always been a 2 decks and 1 mixer kind of guy?

livvy
He never locked his car door

Re: Did you ever embrace new DJ technology?

Post by livvy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:10 pm

deebom
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by deebom » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:30 am

I recently acquired Serato. I paid £180 for a 2nd hand copy of Scratch live 1. It's still 2 decks and a mixer, but your tunes are whatever you have on your PC, and vinyl with the flick of the cut out switch. It's every DJs dream as far as I'm concerned.

eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by eazyflow » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:41 am

The thing is, even Serato with decks and a mixer is considered outdated now as technology such as midi controllers have removed any need for turntables whatsoever.

These days I only actually mix with old skool, and for me to enjoy it old skool has to be played the old skool way, i.e. decks, mixer, and 100% vinyl. But If I were ever to get back into Dj-ing new music, then it would be Serato and turntables all day long.

Mixing solely on a laptop though :lol:... is there anything more depressing?

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:10 am

If you ever play out, you have to move with the times. I turned up to play at an event in about 2006 with records, and they didn't have any decks so I couldn't play. Since then I've always carried CDs with me as well as vinyl if I'm not familiar with the club, and also at one point bought some CD decks just so I could learn to use them :lol:

electric tribe

Post by electric tribe » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:13 am

have tried over the years with scratch and cdj's. Never really liked either so sold them again and stuck with decks and vinyl.

LOON-E
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by LOON-E » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:46 pm

Decks and vinyl all the way...have ableton 8 but for having a go at making tunes with rather than arranging sets....the idea of pressing a button on a laptop then watching your mix progress instead of actually pushing/holding back your tune to get it in looks a bit soul,less too me.....in fact 100% no soul gaurenteed ;)

LOON-E

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:23 pm

No. I have considered getting serato so I can explore other genres without having to buy the records but always come to the conclusion that it will pale in comparison to Hardcore and Jungle so might as well blow the cash on records : D

I have started ripping my collection though, just as a backup and for friends who have got digital setups so they can have some of my tunes to play with.

warpedcore
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by warpedcore » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:39 pm

used to have serato great bit of kit but sold it last year, thought i would really miss it but to be honest i don't at all , cdjs tried them and can't fucking stand them

Matt Clarke
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Matt Clarke » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:48 pm

I've gone Tracktor.

Now I just press Sync and then Play.

Ric

Post by Ric » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:46 pm

Not so far but would like to get serato.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:50 pm

I can't believe the price of Serato hasn't come down in the last 5 years. £400 odd quid is a fucking disgrace, the box has about 2 wires in it, the records are worth a fiver each, and the software definitely isn't worth £350. If somebody released a decent third party box for say £100, they would make a killing. I would like Serato but refuse to be raped so badly.

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:16 pm

I'm no expert on this but Rane is a premium brand, I'm on my second Rane mixer which were both very expensive but worth every penny, they are built superbly. I would guess the same goes for serato. There are much cheaper options out there, you get what you pay for I guess!

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:06 pm

I used to have Serato a few years ago (SL2 I think) and it was like something you'd make in your garage, definitely not on par with their mixers quality wise. The whole thing apart from the PCB is made from existing parts you could buy in Maplins. I appreciate that the retail price of electronics/software have to take the R&D costs into consideration, but £400? Come on, an iPhone or laptop only cost slightly more.

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:55 pm

They do have an article on their website saying about how everything they make comes out of their factory in America and how much of a premium they have to add to the price of their products because of this, it's quite an interesting read. They could build their products for a fraction of the price in China but they believe they can provide a better product and service doing everything themselves. Fair play to that really if they can sustain their business doing it!

My rane mixers are the only ones I've ever used that feel the same quality build as Technics decks, although the Penny & Giles faders on the Empath do have a design flaw that can cause them to snap if they get too much abuse as I found out at great expense! : (