C4 To Host All Night Rave!!

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
strongforce
The Messiah of the 21st Century

C4 To Host All Night Rave!!

Post by strongforce » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:58 pm

Wont exactly be a return to Hitman & Her at the Eclipse in 92 but an interesting move by C4 & (other than a load of shite DJ's) there could be some parts worth watching if Grandmaster Flash has a mention.

Put your hands in the air: in an unprecedented move, Channel 4 is to host an ad-free, live six-hour house party to mark the birth of rave.

The show will feature sets from international DJs, including Grandmaster Flash and Annie Mac, in an attempt to "turn the TV into the ultimate DJ booth".

As well as no adverts, House Party, will have no commentary and no interruptions. Just like a real club, reveller will be able to make requests for tunes – although this will be done through social media rather than shouting across a DJ booth.

The event, which is part of the London 2012 Festival, will feature so-called "visual sets" from computer animators, graphic artists and video footage from cutting edge VJs reacting to the music being played.

To preserve an air of spontaneity, it will not be repeated nor made available on Channel 4's "on-demand" service.

The event, which will air from midnight on the evening of 24 August and run through to 6am, marks the 20th anniversary of 1992's infamous free rave at Castlemorton near Malvern in Worcestershire, which was attended by 40,000 people.

When police tried to end the Avon Free Festival, revellers instead set up their own impromptu site on Castlemorton Common.

Media interest grew, attracting thousands of extra people and making the event difficult to close down safely. In the aftermath of the week-long gathering, the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act of 1994 was drawn up to bring an end to any more large scale illegal festivals.

To explore how clubbing grew from an underground movement to a multinational billion pound business, the House Party night will begin with a two-hour documentary fronted by Luther actor Idris Elba, interviewing Armand van Helden, Paul Oakenfold, Will.i.am, Pete Tong and the former Home Secretary Michael Howard.

Channel 4's arts commissioner Tabitha Jackson said that 2012 was "the perfect summer for this television event".

She added: "Perhaps the most radically innovative element of the night is that, in direct contrast to the new on-de mand TV landscape, House Party is a genuine one-off. It will not be repeated and it will not be available on 4oD.

Like all the best club nights and parties if you want to be there you have to turn up."
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media ... rnalSearch

dreamweave
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Re: C4 To Host All Night Rave!!

Post by dreamweave » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:16 pm

So are they going to broadcasting from a live event or just pre recorded sets from various Dj's? Hope they put in some Castlemorton footage in there.

thumbzo
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by thumbzo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:28 pm

^^^ No chance if they've got folk like Annie Wack involved mate!

CMcDougall
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Post by CMcDougall » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:46 pm

DJs don't mix now :sad:
they just play Clubland 21 :gay:

You should show them how its done Baz :wink:

si 2 bad
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by si 2 bad » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:49 am

Would love to know the full line up...Annie Mac??!?!?!? It is being made by Acme TV and we threw our hat into the ring to do a set...have not heard anything.
My personal line up would have included - Frankie Valentine, Sasha, Top Buzz, Nipper, Doc Scott, Ellis Dee, Richie Fingers and Fabio....

jonny
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by jonny » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:24 pm

Look forward to this,what they should also have done was ask people like us who lived the rave dream to appear on this show and speak about the scene and what it meant to us.

Ornette
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Ornette » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:21 am

Just saw an ident for this - looks intriguing.

Preceeded by a documentary by Idris Elba 'How Clubbing Changed The World'... didn't he do one before about Hip Hop? Was pretty decent, as I remember

si 2 bad
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by si 2 bad » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:52 am

Fabio has just tweeted that he features on the show and I hear Goldie too (though an obvious choice). Wonder if it will be true to the roots of it or the usual "Rent a talking head" - like Will I am an idot and David the twat Guetta spouting crap about something that they know really nothing about.

Personally I think films like "They call it Acid" and "High on Hope"...need to be shown. I was one of the priveleged few to have the chance to see High on Hope and though grainey and lacking massive quality, it showed the real rave scene in Blackburn and surrounding areas. A joy to watch.
Both films are trying to raise the funds to license the music and may never see the light of day - shame.

Let's hope C4 get some things right on Friday.....though i think the choice of contributors may be questionable. Will we see the likes of Wayne Anthony and the early pioneers involved in the scene??

I somehow doubt it, but I hope to be proved wrong....

Thrash
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Thrash » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:31 pm

I've set the Sky Box to record... it'll be past my bedtime! :)

MOS anthem fest I reckon' unless we all spam the requests via 'social media' lol....

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:41 pm

Hi,

Just received the final PR blurb on this, its really NOT cool, you'll all be so disappointed.

It really has nothing to do with the Castle Morton Anniversary, just using it as an 'excuse'.

Sure, Jazzy B will be there, but none of the other DJ's relate to the scene at all!

I mean, A-Trak is a scratch turntabalist - not a DJ...

It looks like C4 are just trying to get max ratings across the Bank Holiday weekend, from all the teenagers.

If you knew who was involved, you'd see this is purely a marketing event, not a true celebration of our scene.

The whole point is that kids have a house party, and simply have this prog showing on their mum & dads big LCD screen lol

champion puffa

Post by champion puffa » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:53 pm

Thrash wrote:I've set the Sky Box to record... it'll be past my bedtime! :)

i had a feeling you would and a few others would be banging on about and be recording it....... seeing as Will.I.AM is deep involved in this.

PROPA ARDCORE ... enjoy :badgrin:

Thrash
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Thrash » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:46 pm

champion puffa wrote:
Thrash wrote:I've set the Sky Box to record... it'll be past my bedtime! :)

i had a feeling you would and a few others would be banging on about and be recording it....... seeing as Will.I.AM is deep involved in this.

PROPA ARDCORE ... enjoy :badgrin:
Here he is... where you been hiding?

Ornette
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Ornette » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:30 am

dj_gyr8 wrote: It looks like C4 are just trying to get max ratings across the Bank Holiday weekend, from all the teenagers.

If you knew who was involved, you'd see this is purely a marketing event, not a true celebration of our scene.

The whole point is that kids have a house party, and simply have this prog showing on their mum & dads big LCD screen lol
What's wrong with that? Lots of people enjoy dance music, not just us old skool heads! ;)

Ornette
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Ornette » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:42 am

si 2 bad wrote:
Let's hope C4 get some things right on Friday.....though i think the choice of contributors may be questionable. Will we see the likes of Wayne Anthony and the early pioneers involved in the scene??

I somehow doubt it, but I hope to be proved wrong....
The documentary (what I saw of it) seemed clued up enough... as mentioned the last Idris Elba fronted doc on hip hop was pretty decent.

Those two films you mention sound interesting though, not heard of them before?

phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by phil » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:52 am

getting bored of it tbh - wheres the real deal