C4 To Host All Night Rave!!

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
Matt Clarke
Administrator
Administrator

Re: C4 To Host All Night Rave!!

Post by Matt Clarke » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:58 am

When's the thing with Keith Allan on E being shown? Or have I missed it, I don't really watch much TV, prefer Blu-ray and DVD Boxsets :)

si 2 bad
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by si 2 bad » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:52 am

Not bad - slightly disjointed and some decent talking heads. Only saw Flash on the "Rave" part.....seemed weird and I was thinking how are they gonna fill 6 hours? How was Annie Cack?
and who were the guys with dust masks on behind the desks - were they decorators?

Thrash
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Thrash » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:37 am

si 2 bad wrote:Not bad - slightly disjointed and some decent talking heads. Only saw Flash on the "Rave" part.....seemed weird and I was thinking how are they gonna fill 6 hours? How was Annie Cack?
and who were the guys with dust masks on behind the desks - were they decorators?
Turned into the usual clubbing fodder when Annie Mac came on... Not surprising though, all the older generation were in bed by then. ;)

dubplate records
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dubplate records » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:57 pm

Flash rinsed it!
Annie Mack was fuckin awful an should never have been included on that line up
mimed her way thru set
Morillo was decent,not my thing tho,he looked like he was asleep
A Track seemed weird so I called ita night coz of work in the morn
wasnt the right line up for such an event
Flash n Morillo yea,a track no an Annie fuck no!

eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by eazyflow » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:17 pm

Program should have been shown in chronological order so we could all enjoy just far down the shitter things have become.

When you think about it, the premise for the show was total cack - Programs like this may romanticise that clubbing changed the world, but unfortunately it didn't. Maybe in the early days as Thatcher brung the country to it's knees by dismantling our manufacturing industry the music was an act of rebellion, and at the same time a great unifier, just like the original punk & Ska scene was a decade earlier. But the Criminal Justice Bill changed all that by forcing the music which had grown organically underground back into licsenced premises where that good old taxable drug alcohol could be promoted, and 'clubbing' could be repackaged into a branded insipid commercial product like any other capitalist enterprise (See Ministry of Sound or Cream for examples...).

Clubbing didn't change the world. It just became another part of it.

eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by eazyflow » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:25 pm

dubplate records wrote:Flash rinsed it!
Are you serious? He was horrendous. :lol:

It reminds me of going to see him in Manchester a few years ago. I had high hopes based upon his legend status that I was going to see something special. Unfortunately it felt more like watching a WWF exhibition. All lights and glitz to cover up the fact that in 30 years he hasn't bothered learning how to mix or scratch properly. And what the fuck is that microphone all about? someone please take that off him!

Luckily Q Bert was on later so the night wasn't a complete waste of my time 8)

Ornette
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Ornette » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:05 pm

eazyflow wrote:Program should have been shown in chronological order so we could all enjoy just far down the shitter things have become.
:lol:

dubplate records
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dubplate records » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:38 am

eazyflow wrote:
dubplate records wrote:Flash rinsed it!
Are you serious? He was horrendous. :lol:

It reminds me of going to see him in Manchester a few years ago. I had high hopes based upon his legend status that I was going to see something special. Unfortunately it felt more like watching a WWF exhibition. All lights and glitz to cover up the fact that in 30 years he hasn't bothered learning how to mix or scratch properly. And what the fcuk is that microphone all about? someone please take that off him!

Luckily Q Bert was on later so the night wasn't a complete waste of my time 8)
Did he?shit I missed that :(
I had to go to bed,been shattered all week/end
I thought the Flash was cool
to me,the mic seemed like he was hosting it,as tho doing a radio show
I didnt mind his mixing scratching,at least it was real
unlike Annie whose tunes amazingly mixed themselves as she gurned,played with her nails and wasnt even by the decks as she was fashionably hugging Jessie
also she didnt touch the pitch once!

Ornette
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Ornette » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:56 pm

Just watching it back on 4seven

Interesting their correlation they make between the drinks industry's reaction to rave (alco-pops) and the binge drink britain of modern day

As Simon mentions it is somewhat disjointed - still watching though, will get back to it now!

AtomSmasher
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by AtomSmasher » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:24 pm

Didn't see the 'All Night Rave', but i thought the documentary was ok. Fairly entertaining. The fact that Hardcore was glossed over completely was shocking. As was the fact that DnB according to them was invented when Goldie wrote Terminator.... :roll:

Weatherall's beard was good though :lol:

eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by eazyflow » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:16 am

AtomSmasher wrote:Didn't see the 'All Night Rave', but i thought the documentary was ok. Fairly entertaining. The fact that Hardcore was glossed over completely was shocking. As was the fact that DnB according to them was invented when Goldie wrote Terminator.... :roll:

Weatherall's beard was good though :lol:
Highlight of the program :D That, and Kraftwerk building their studio 8)

I knew from the beginning that hardcore would barely get a mention, the idea that hardcore was absolutely massive in the early 90's seems to be an embarressing fact media types like to gloss over in to project the image that house went straight from the warehouses in the 80's into the 'thuper-clubs' :roll:

spackhandychoptubes
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by spackhandychoptubes » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:59 am

i thought the documentary was good, but there was nothing in there i didn't already know.

They skipped over Goa completely, which was interesting as it was very big in the late 90's and is completely global... and all the top boys were in to it mid 90's (oakenfold etc.)

AtomSmasher
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by AtomSmasher » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:18 am

Its odd that Hardcore never got mentioned though - especially as The Prodigy were a part of the emerging scene in 91. Mind you Miranda Whats-Her-Name used to write for Mixmag, who lets face it despised Hardcore in any of its guises.......

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:23 am

Hi,

Finally watched Idris's show...

What a complete load of tosh, absolute rubbish!

Some of the people involved in this totally ruined it.

Asking people who weren't there to vote in a poll, takes the biscuit!

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:28 am

AtomSmasher wrote:Its odd that Hardcore never got mentioned though - especially as The Prodigy were a part of the emerging scene in 91. Mind you Miranda Whats-Her-Name used to write for Mixmag, who lets face it despised Hardcore in any of its guises.......
I hate when toffee-nosed brats get given stuff on a plate, especially when they them do the job so badly. If you've ever read the upper/middle-class garbage in the Observer etc, you'll know exactly what I mean.

Too many journo's BITD went on hearsay, not fact, they were so lazy, never even bothered to find out for themselves.