Fantazia : Legend of the lost city

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: Fantazia : Legend of the lost city

Post by eazyflow » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:02 pm

dan wrote:I know i sound like a snob but it was a bit rough really.
There were some very rough looking motherfuckers in there :lol:

Saying that though, I didn't see any trouble, and the beauty of a big rave is that if you don't like tha look of somebody you can just find another space to flail around in :D

I loved Ratty's set. Before I went I would have never expected I was going to hear tracks like Chaos & Julia Set 'Fear The Future' and DOPE 'When I was Young' being dropped - the guy went seriously dark, and his mixing was a joy to behold. Although I know what you mean about it falling mostly on deaf ears, but then what's the alternative? Do what Ratpack do? Fuck that.

As well as Ratty, I thought Swan-e played a surprisingly good set. Shock C was pretty good too. Ellis Dee started off completely shit but pulled it around later on when he started playing 'Dance The Dream' and stuff like that... tunes I actually remember him playing!

Mickey Finn and Joe Peng played a great 97 D&B set, and was nice to see Finn actually using vinyl, whodafunkit?

Downside to the event was the sound levels where up and down all night which was irritating. Stupidly quite at some points, and pounding out at others. Also I was sick of getting hit with those grimey fucking beach balls that had been festering on the filthy floor all night. Oh, and it was stupidly hot in there! Wearing an old long sleeved Dance Planet T-shirt was a big mistake...

All in all, I enjoyed it. Considering going to the next one on the strength of CJ Bolland, Ratty, Pilgrim, Producer, and Ramos :)

djflow1977
Regular
Regular

Post by djflow1977 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:07 am

I went on Saturday too. Yes there were some very rough looking peeps! And occasionally out of the corner of my eye I'd see a girl in a skimpy outfit, then see her face and realise she looked more like a granny! The beachballs pissed me off too, got one in the face and felt sick wiping the skeg off.

What I did find was that the people there were all in good spirits, no bad vibes in there, very much an old skool feel. The venue itself was great, but i think the fact that it switched from Donnington meant that nowhere near as many people attended as they would have hoped. Donnington would have been rammed, but the switch meant a lot of peeps asked for refunds. Therefore, the crowd that was there were spread over the arenas meaning there wasn't a huge amount of atmosphere in any arena. I think the production was definitely cut back due to the lack of ticket sales.

I played in VIP arena 2, was pretty quiet up there. Though The Barn did a great job with lights and sound system. The systems were all pretty decent, a bit of echo in the main arena but it was a huge space.

I hope they can get it back to how it was at Motion in March because that was top notch.

dan
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by dan » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:41 am

eazyflow wrote:
dan wrote:I know i sound like a snob but it was a bit rough really.
There were some very rough looking motherfuckers in there :lol:

Saying that though, I didn't see any trouble, and the beauty of a big rave is that if you don't like tha look of somebody you can just find another space to flail around in :D

I loved Ratty's set. Before I went I would have never expected I was going to hear tracks like Chaos & Julia Set 'Fear The Future' and DOPE 'When I was Young' being dropped - the guy went seriously dark, and his mixing was a joy to behold. Although I know what you mean about it falling mostly on deaf ears, but then what's the alternative? Do what Ratpack do? fcuk that.

As well as Ratty, I thought Swan-e played a surprisingly good set. Shock C was pretty good too. Ellis Dee started off completely shit but pulled it around later on when he started playing 'Dance The Dream' and stuff like that... tunes I actually remember him playing!

Mickey Finn and Joe Peng played a great 97 D&B set, and was nice to see Finn actually using vinyl, whodafunkit?

Downside to the event was the sound levels where up and down all night which was irritating. Stupidly quite at some points, and pounding out at others. Also I was sick of getting hit with those grimey fcuking beach balls that had been festering on the filthy floor all night. Oh, and it was stupidly hot in there! Wearing an old long sleeved Dance Planet T-shirt was a big mistake...

All in all, I enjoyed it. Considering going to the next one on the strength of CJ Bolland, Ratty, Pilgrim, Producer, and Ramos :)

Ha i totally forgot about the Ellis Dee desired state tune drop! yep i was happy with that! And i remember the shock c set being v good too. He played a tune i really like and i just cant think what it is off the top of my head. 'feels so right, extacy heaven' lol something like that. Good tune anyway. A few days have now passed and the rose tinted lenses are on. Im now ready for my next rave ha!

djflow1977
Regular
Regular

Post by djflow1977 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:30 pm

Any idea where Seduction was by the way?

eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by eazyflow » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:36 pm

djflow1977 wrote:Any idea where Seduction was by the way?

No idea, but that was a disappointment, he was one of the main reasons for me making the journey. Did Ellis Dee end up playing 2 hours? My timescales had all got a little muddled up at that point lol :lol:
dan wrote:
Ha i totally forgot about the Ellis Dee desired state tune drop! yep i was happy with that! And i remember the shock c set being v good too. He played a tune i really like and i just cant think what it is off the top of my head. 'feels so right, extacy heaven' lol something like that. Good tune anyway. A few days have now passed and the rose tinted lenses are on. Im now ready for my next rave ha!
I loved it that he played the remix too. Never heard anyone play that version bitd, but hearing that breakdown was a special moment for me...

Meet up in September lol? :D

Markymark
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Post by Markymark » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:27 pm

i went the first event in stoke last year only because i was asked by every man and his dog to go. i could quite easily of missed it, and nearly did in the end. i did quite enjoy the first one though (i went to the second one too), but i think i enjoyed it because of meeting up with old mates tbh, and the general atmosphere.

i never thought i would say this, but i did find it annoying hearing the same predictable records all the time. i can see why this bugs people so much now, its never bothered me in the past. i did spend about 80% of the night in the house room which wasnt bad for this.

if i wanted to be really picky, the sound in the main room wasnt great either. but apart from what i mentioned it was a great night.

would i go anymore??? no!

nothing to do with fantazia being crap or not. i met up with some old faces, re lived my youth for a few hours and paid for it for a week afterwoards. i cant cope with that sort of shit these days. :lol:

by the way mc energy has been moaning about this thread on facebook :lol:

eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by eazyflow » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:50 pm

Elusive9T2 wrote:Some of the slating is uncalled for I think, if you have been to the event & didn't enjoy it that is a personal thing
Slating something you haven't even been or only heard about by rumour is totally unfair
No matter what you do people will never be happy anyway
many people have enjoyed Fantazia's comeback, so well done I say,
I'm just glad there are raves still going personally,
even if they aren't for me, its for the next generations to enjoy now
Exactly this!

If people are going to put on events the size of Fantazia then they have to pander to popular appeal to some degree, otherwise their events are going to be empty. I'm glad there are those still out there carrying the torch, and I can handle having to tolerate the likes of Ratpack doing their tired old routines if people like Ratty and Tango keep digging in the crates for the more 'accomplished' palette :D

You can probably pick holes in any event in history - 100% of of people wont be happy 100% of the time. But the fact that there are still events out there for us to pick holes in the first place is a positive thing I reckon :)

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:58 am

Yes, +1 to that...let's face it, they could very easily put on an exclusively cheesy lineup and get as many people in. all things considered the lineups are decent!

Also, as for complaining about going to a rave with "chavs"...seems rather contrary to the spirit of things really! if you're going to be snooty about the class of people you are partying with i'm not sure any raves are for you :lol:

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:34 am

Abysmal event.

eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by eazyflow » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:08 am

Restless wrote:Abysmal event.
Really? My housemate went down to this but not had chance to speak to him yet. Why was it so shit?

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:29 am

House Arena was called off, then it started at midnight, apparently. So whilst that was happening there was two rooms of Jungle. Stuff like "The 900 Number" and "Insomnia" was getting dropped in the Pandemonium arena!! The entrance fee was ridiculous, the price of the drinks was equally as ridiculous and the vibe was lacking big time!

3/10. Seriously, that's what i'd give it.

They'll never get my money again.

The_Ruffneck
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by The_Ruffneck » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:09 pm

Was it busy

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:53 pm

Yeah it was busy enough.

Main room was really filling up when i was leaving, and the Pandemonium room was busy as well.

Just appaling music though.

alphawave ep
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by alphawave ep » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:22 pm

RAT PACK didnt make it there.....They had a blow out on the M1...

eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by eazyflow » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:02 am

alphawave ep wrote:RAT PACK didnt make it there.....They had a blow out on the M1...
What a shame lol :D

I had the misfortune of hearing them whether I wanted to or not at Bestival a couple of weeks ago when I was trying to get to sleep in my tent. They sounded incredibly shit. Everson Allen shouting ogi ogi ogi every 2 minutes and singing "Ratpack never felt this way" over the top of Jem 77. Embarressing :(