Fantazia : Legend of the lost city

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
The_Ruffneck
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Fantazia : Legend of the lost city

Post by The_Ruffneck » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:25 am

Got this through the inbox today , i hope they don't downsize it like they did to the Donington 20th anniversary event as it currently looks pretty decent.

dj jedi

Re: Fantazia : Legend of the lost city

Post by dj jedi » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:59 pm

Looks like it might be OK, the venue looks interesting, although slightly worried about the amount of yawn-fest live PAs. The Fantazia in Bournemouth was ruined by them, they are so dull. They only ever play anthems, usually from a CD, and if we have to hear anthems of that calibre I'd rather a DJ mixed them in a set than hear the whole track from start to finish with a 5 minute gap in between each one. They really kill the vibe.

If there has to be 5 live PAs, why not get some interesting ones that won't just play their 1991 chart CD and sing over it.

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:15 pm

Hi,

Sad to see so many PA's and rubbish ones at that :-(

Why have they booked JJ Frost, as he can't mix. Although they do have 2 MC's to cover-up the mixing 'skills'

I wonder why they went for that venue?

Fantazia are sucking all the life out of the scene, and giving the scene a really bad name. Pity, as BITD they were the BEST IMO

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:31 pm

dj_gyr8 wrote:Fantazia are sucking all the life out of the scene, and giving the scene a really bad name. Pity, as BITD they were the BEST IMO
As far as I can tell Fantazia don't even have anything to do with the recent events, they all seem to be organised by Alex MC Energy.

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:45 pm

Hi,

Weird how they seem happy to sell their name, and let ppl hold poor quality events.

Everyone I know has lost all faith in Fantazia.

I remember when it was just a pile of DAT tapes, that they had to put onto CD for me, then obviously he realised he could make money, now its gone crazy.

If you think, its not really Fantazia selling out, its his brother using the name when he shouldn't then selling out.

I wonder... If I hadn't kept pestering him to dig out those DATs, would there even be this 'new' Fantazia?

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:30 pm

Sucking the life out of the scene? How, exactly? I think they're doing alright. Given the fact they're putting on big events, for a modern audience they've done pretty well to put a bit of variety into them. The ones I've been to have had a good balance between anthems and non-anthems given those circumstances.

They're not poor quality events. Certainly for general set up, sound etc they've been better than most modern big raves i've been to in the UK (although admittedly the bar there isn't set very high!)

If you look at it from the angle of someone for whom anything that isn't exactly like their old events, then maybe it is rubbish - but that seems a unrealistically negative way to look at it. It's not 1992 any more, and the events aren't really aimed at you if you're that purist. Why let that stop them putting on something that's still alright, viewed outside of the prizm of Fantazia's history?

The event in question looks alright to me to be honest. Totally agreed about the PAs being boring! but at the same time, Producer, Brisk, CJ Bolland, Pilgrim, Ramos, Ratty & Tango would make up for it from me to be honest!

Backchat
Regular
Regular

Post by Backchat » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:43 pm

dj jedi wrote:Looks like it might be OK, the venue looks interesting, although slightly worried about the amount of yawn-fest live PAs. The Fantazia in Bournemouth was ruined by them, they are so dull. They only ever play anthems, usually from a CD, and if we have to hear anthems of that calibre I'd rather a DJ mixed them in a set than hear the whole track from start to finish with a 5 minute gap in between each one. They really kill the vibe.

If there has to be 5 live PAs, why not get some interesting ones that won't just play their 1991 chart CD and sing over it.
Totally agree with that, most P.A's are boring, kills the atmosphere and bring ya down unfortunately.

Saw this on another site but give you an idea what that venue can look like....
(as u can see on the flyer, it must have been taking with a wide angle lens or summin because it looks a lot bigger than it is)

There's a few dj's here so maybe you can answer this lol....

I hate mc's with a passion, always have had and would much prefer a dj take you on a journey and work the crowd than some fucking mc ranting gibberish over the top of it and that was BITD.... now day's there seems to be more mc's at an event than dj's sometimes and where (like the flyer above) has this thing of pairing mc's with dj's come from because you used to get one or two at an event not one or two per dj???

cheers

dan
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by dan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:13 am

I personally wouldnt go to another fantazia. The bowlers event on the weekend wasnt great. They moved the stages away from the back walls for the smaller crowd (assuming to fill a big space). The music was ok in parts but it just felt stale if honest. I remember standing in the main room at 3.00am and thinking i dont care what tune is dropped right now, ill still be surrounded by day glo covered scallies. I know i sound like a snob but it was a bit rough really. Just felt really stale! It was also clear that the budget was dropped from the one at the last bowlers fantazia.

I just think the big rave scene is a bit chavvy in that respect. im sure it was better in 1990 but im im honest since ive been going out (since 97) its always been very weak compared to other scenes. Its just that when i was 17 it was all new and big to me. didnt care back then :-)

Totally agree about the PA thing allthough i must say Nebula 2 were very good on the weekend.

I think the place for old skool (for me) is in my headphones and on cool forums like this!!

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:37 am

dan wrote:It was also clear that the budget was dropped from the one at the last bowlers fantazia.
That seems to be the theme for the last few, including the Bournemouth one I went to. Way, way over-promising so the actual experience is a let down. Shame because the one I went to in Glasgow in about 2006 was amazing production wise, the best I've ever seen.

dan
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by dan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:47 am

dj jedi wrote:
dan wrote:It was also clear that the budget was dropped from the one at the last bowlers fantazia.
That seems to be the theme for the last few, including the Bournemouth one I went to. Way, way over-promising so the actual experience is a let down. Shame because the one I went to in Glasgow in about 2006 was amazing production wise, the best I've ever seen.
totally agree mate. Did they use all those neon graphics on the roof in Bournemouth? They used those at the last 2 in manchester. God id kill to have gotten to go to a good one!

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:59 am

There was nothing! Literally no production at all. People were actually saying to each other where are the lights, where are the banners? I'd been going to that venue for years and even the student nights on Thursday's back in the 90s put more effort in. I think that event did them quite a lot of damage, I doubt anyone who went to it would go to another. I was going to go to the 'Two Steps Beyond' but as soon as I heard it was being moved to Bowlers, it was obvious that it was the beginning of the same slippery slope (try comparing the original line up/venue/flyer of Two Steps Beyond with the actual event!)

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:53 am

Hi,

To answer Dave, Yes, I'd rather there was nothing than all these rubbish events just cashing-in.

Would I rather starve than step foot inside a McDonalds... YES!

A few years ago there were none of these rubbish events, but there were excellent free-parties, which attracted ppl who really loved the music of the scene. This more recent events just attract chavs!

We moan about the DJs anthem-bashing, but its not their fault, the punters now only want the naff anthems they've heard on all these MOS and Best-of CDs etc.

Still some excellent events in London, but not well advertised - but they don't need to be, hence attract real music lovers, not idiots.

dan
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by dan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:52 pm

dj_gyr8 wrote:Hi,

To answer Dave, Yes, I'd rather there was nothing than all these rubbish events just cashing-in.

Would I rather starve than step foot inside a McDonalds... YES!

A few years ago there were none of these rubbish events, but there were excellent free-parties, which attracted ppl who really loved the music of the scene. This more recent events just attract chavs!

We moan about the DJs anthem-bashing, but its not their fault, the punters now only want the naff anthems they've heard on all these MOS and Best-of CDs etc.

Still some excellent events in London, but not well advertised - but they don't need to be, hence attract real music lovers, not idiots.

I agree with everything! You hit the nail on the head. Ratty played some great tunes last saturday and the crowd didnt care. If he played awesome 3 it would have gone down better. With that knowledge you cant blame top buzz for sticking to the safe set. jesus the guy has been playing that set for 15 years to the best of my knowledge.

I bet there are some cracking nights in london. I dont think theres much in manchester really...

dan
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by dan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:02 pm

dj jedi wrote:There was nothing! Literally no production at all. People were actually saying to each other where are the lights, where are the banners? I'd been going to that venue for years and even the student nights on Thursday's back in the 90s put more effort in. I think that event did them quite a lot of damage, I doubt anyone who went to it would go to another. I was going to go to the 'Two Steps Beyond' but as soon as I heard it was being moved to Bowlers, it was obvious that it was the beginning of the same slippery slope (try comparing the original line up/venue/flyer of Two Steps Beyond with the actual event!)

I cant believe that with the production. To be fair the 'greatest show on earth' fantazia wasnt too bad. they had the big screens and stuff. Bowlers looked quite cool and it is a good venue i think. Not the case this time. I agree, the actual event was very different to the flyer. btw shades of rhythm never showed on sat.

dan
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by dan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:04 pm

sorry i meant im in disbelief that they couldnt muster up enough cash for a nice laser and some graphics. The sods!