Re: Caining it back in the day and the effects now...

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:19 pm

Do you know of anyone that has been ruined because of "Having It" during most weekends in the Acid House/Hardcore era?

It happened to a few people around my way back in the 90's. It was as if the 90's "claimed them" with the amount of sessioning/caining it that they used to do every weekend! A lot of anything is no good for you, let alone a lot of pills, powder and god knows what else over the course of most weekends for years on end.

phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: Re: Caining it back in the day and the effects now...

Post by phil » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:26 pm

probably most of us in some way i reckon

AtomSmasher
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by AtomSmasher » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:54 pm

Luckily no after effects that i'm aware of - maybe i didn't cain it quite as much as some although i had some dark Mondays + Tuesdays in the mid-90's that's for sure. When the Wednesdays started getting dark i laid off a bit!!!

Ric
He never locked his car door

Post by Ric » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:11 pm

I had a mate blow a circuit on acid. Never came back...although I've not seen him in years so maybe he's better. Last time I saw him he was in a pub with his arms by his sides, forehead on the table laughing uncontrollably.
I feel fine in myself.

jonny
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by jonny » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:36 pm

Unfortunately yes, lost many good mates BITD to Heroin mostly and some to Crack, disgusting destructive drugs that will ruin you and everyone around you, i went through a bad patch myself in the late 90's/early 2000's, i started out in 1990 and pretty much caned it for the whole decade,up to around 98/98 i was still enjoying myself obviously the early days were the highlight and the honeymoon period had long gone, but as the years rolled on my consumption went up and up ans up, some nights i find myself necking anything up to 8+ pills along with speed and coke and sometimes acid, beer and smoke too, it was the charlie that nearly ruined me, found myself taking it every day and i had to stop and it was horrible but i managed to do it and didn't take anything for nearly a year but never again.

I rarely if ever take anything thesedays,Retro Trax was the exception but im 41 now and physically and mentally i wouldn't be able for it.

I occasionally get flashbacks although it's been a while since i have but it can happen at anytime, i like many im sure on these forums caned it big style BITD i pretty much spent the whole decade under the influence and im just glad im relatively healthy and didn't completely lose the plot like some did.

jonny
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by jonny » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:42 pm

I was just thinking these if i would've had a camcorder to document my time raving and the sheer lunacy and caning that went on it would be a video nasty for sure, ive seen some people in some states, fuck me ive been in some states, one time my old dear (bless her) said "you have turned into some demon like the devil has possessed you" after i rolled in one Tuesday afternoon still out of my mind after being out raving since the previous Friday :shock: :badgrin: :badgrin:

silky
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by silky » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:42 am

jonny wrote:I was just thinking these if i would've had a camcorder to document my time raving and the sheer lunacy and caning that went on it would be a video nasty for sure, ive seen some people in some states, fcuk me ive been in some states, one time my old dear (bless her) said "you have turned into some demon like the devil has possessed you" after i rolled in one Tuesday afternoon still out of my mind after being out raving since the previous Friday :shock: :badgrin: :badgrin:
I for one would love to spend an evening with you! :-). Reckon you have some awesome stories to tell.....

electric tribe

Post by electric tribe » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:47 am

pushed my brain and body to limit in my caining it days....been in some scary states....which at the time i considered ok and acceptable. No idea why i did as much as i did back then. Defo had an impact on my brain over the years that followed.. Feel more straightened out these days but there are still few creases here and there. lol.

remember one new year after we had been out and back in the flat (think this was day two or three of binge) was so far gone i was in my head in a Victorian street chatting to these people in top hats and longcoats with big twirly moustaches and laughing away with them. Was just sat in the corner on my own....must have looked a complete nutter. Had been an exceptionally hard going weekend. In he region of 15-20 callies over a couple of days, some half a dozen tabs and an ounce (or more) of gear.

The lamp also grew arms and legs that days and was dancing round the room. Crazy times.

lost a couple of mates to overdoses and others that just went off the rails and now in prison etc. Most of us though straightened out and got jobs to become everything we despised back in the day lol.

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:36 am

I'm absolutely fine - though i do tend to lick my shoulder a lot.... :lol: ;)

Vinyl Conflict
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Vinyl Conflict » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:32 am

@ electric tribe

Most of us though straightened out and got jobs to become everything we despised back in the day lol.

Oh so true!

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:40 am

Lots of familiar stories, personally I think it is all down to the individual. I got in many horrible states, but I don't think I would ever consider myself addicted to anything. On the other hand a few of my mates started out as innocently as everyone else but it soon snowballed on to harder stuff and eventually they ended up in a right mess without going in to detail. Some people just have no control. I can quite happily get super mashed one weekend and then do nothing for a year.

@ Jonny LOL at your mum story, had a similar experience on Xmas day once when all the family were round and I hadn't been to bed :lol:

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:55 am

Hi,

I know 2 people who literally cannot function as a human being due to excess in late 80s and early 90s...

Also knew someone who got run over in a field!

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:32 am

I can't think offhand of anyone I know who's been seriously affected by caning uppers...maybe just cos I'm not as old, sorry, experienced as long as others here? ;)

However, ketamine's a different story, quite a few friends and friends of friends who've had / have problems with that - addiction, physical problems, etc. Pretty depressing hearing of people who are a fair bit younger than me having problems too :/

I know i'm susceptible to it, definitely have a bit of an addictive personality... but even if one does, a bit of critical self awareness goes a long way in stopping things getting out of hand! Mind you who knows what other things in people's lives affect what they do...

LOON-E
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by LOON-E » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:10 pm

Had a good 8 or so years of upto 3 parties every weekend hitting it plenty hard...definatly think its down too the individual and there personality...all of my raving mates from bitd have familys/jobs and all turned out ok...i was just about the oldest of our bunch and about the only 1 left who still has his decks..plays out now and again..and gets smashed now and again..Just always in the back of my mind now is..."i have to be up for work mon morn" :)
I should be old enough to know better now :)
LOON-E

samson
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by samson » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:16 pm

Was talkin to my sister the other night about this, had years and years of really caining it but i can pinpoint i moment that i dont think i was ever quite the same after.
Long story but ended up walking with a friend and my sister the day after about a 48 hour session and i suddenly realised i was looking down on myself like and out of body experience or something!?? really weird ended up ill for weeks after this and dont think i was ever quite the same after that, still have the odd madnight these days but nothing compared to what i used to do!

One of my best mates is now schizophenic and on permanent medication, this happened after we went global gathering, he just went litterally mad on the train on the way home and thought the whole train were out to get him when we got to the station he did a runner and ended up somehow barricading himself in some random strangers house that he forced his way into and basically took them hostage!!
Got bought home by the police the following day and has never been the same since and that was about 10 years back