London record shops

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
LOON-E
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

London record shops

Post by LOON-E » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:41 am

Me n the missis are having a citybreak with the young n from weds too saturday..all the touristy type things..London dungeon..eye..ripleys..madame tussards etc...where is there too go dig for tunes??..will be camden mkt thurs meeting friends for a beer..recommendations plz citydwellers :)

LOON-E

melakaraya
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Re: London record shops

Post by melakaraya » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:58 pm

Have you tried Discogs ;)

Seriously though, what sort of stuff are you looking for? You'll find that pickings are slim in the majority of instances for Old Skool, unless you've got a spare couple of weeks to trawl the bargain basements.

LOON-E
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by LOON-E » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:14 pm

Discogs dont involve flicking through a box of tunes ;)..is there anywhere with a gabba/hardcore section left??..hunting old early 90s onwards techno..gabba..speedcore..n the like :)

LOON-E

stuz74
Regular
Regular

Post by stuz74 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:35 pm

I've had a few great finds in the Notting Hill and Camden Town Music & Video Exchange stores, but it can be hit and miss at times in their oldskool sections. Still worth a look though. Here are the adresses;

38 Notting Hill Gate, Notting Hill, London W11 3HX

208 Camden High St, London NW1 8QR

95 Berwick Street London W1F 0QG (though they seem to have more jungle/d&b than oldskool).

Beware the moody sales folks. Some of them look down their noses at you.

LOON-E
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by LOON-E » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:42 pm

Cheers Stuz..will check em out..and welcome :)

LOON-E

melakaraya
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by melakaraya » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:47 pm

LOON-E wrote:Discogs dont involve flicking through a box of tunes ;)..is there anywhere with a gabba/hardcore section left??..hunting old early 90s onwards techno..gabba..speedcore..n the like :)

LOON-E
Too true, nothing beats a good old crate dig :)

You could also try Flashback - although they're up in Islington, and the prices aren't always too friendly, but worth a look if you happen to be in the area:

http://flashback.co.uk/

Also Reckless Records (also on Berwick street, in SoHo).

LOON-E
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by LOON-E » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:54 pm

Will def get too check Reckless out cheers :)

LOON-E

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:20 pm

Reckless and Sister Ray on Berwick St have a good lot of oldskool in, far as these shops go, latter is a bit dear though, but Reckless is generally alright. and there's the MVEs, though Notting Hill's best generally.

good luck finding old gabba though, believe you me, if there was there i'd have had it by now :lol:

though there's a copy of Ruff Beats #5 in the Soho MVE under the techno sales bit :lol: i've got that so it's still there...

anyone been to that Haggle Vinyl up from Flashback on Essex Road? worth a look?

melakaraya
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by melakaraya » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:12 pm

Traffic Cone wrote:anyone been to that Haggle Vinyl up from Flashback on Essex Road? worth a look?
Yeah, I've been there a few times in the last year or so, nothing going as far as my tastes go whenever I've been there. And seem to remember the staff being seriously snooty (yes, even for record shop staff :lol:)

Crazy Beat in Upminster is well worth a look too, they'll even let you look through their nice collection of Discogs too if you ask nicely, although it's a trek from the centre of London, you can still get there on the tube.

LOON-E
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by LOON-E » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:00 am

Setting off this morning...will let you know if i find any hidden gems :)

LOON-E

will2003
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Post by will2003 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:56 am

There's a second hand record shop in Hendon called Retro Bloke, had some amazing scores in there - twice I've found boxes of old skool and the guy in there just sold it all to me at £1 a record, as far as he was concerned it was all just a load of dance 12"s :)

But it's not really central at all, it's deepest North London and you might find nothing at all but yeah - they often have boxes and boxes of vinyl to dig through. So if you're in the area then worth popping in but it's just a secondhand shop really, just sells vinyl, DVDs, video games etc. It's not really categorised properly like the MVEs or Reckless etc, so a bit of a shot in the dark.

If you google "retro bloke hendon" it'll give you the address.

The_Ruffneck
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by The_Ruffneck » Tue May 06, 2014 1:20 am

What's the story with Vinyl Pimp? Good bricks and mortar selection or mostly just an online seller?

deebom
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by deebom » Tue May 06, 2014 6:45 am

I found a tiny record shop buried in the back of a flower shop. It's opposite New Cross Gate station. I picked up a Satin storm tune and a copy Spliffhead for a fiver. Mostly rock, pop and indie but a good little selection house and stuff.

c_funk
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by c_funk » Wed May 07, 2014 6:15 pm

deebom wrote:I found a tiny record shop buried in the back of a flower shop. It's opposite New Cross Gate station. I picked up a Satin storm tune and a copy Spliffhead for a fiver. Mostly rock, pop and indie but a good little selection house and stuff.
is that next to the hobgoblin pub? i wait there when meeting a mate sometimes so will pub in next time

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Wed May 07, 2014 10:58 pm

anyone been to Lucky Seven in Stoke Newington? it has a great basement where all the dance vinyl is. only for seriously committed crate diggers / obsessives with nothing better to do, cos there's loads of racks, boxes on the floor, random piles of tunes; even a few out of sleeves; and even though the racks have some categories the tunes are basically all out of order.

but i did find (over a few visits) absolutely loads of old euro hardcore, including a few reasonably expensive (£20/30) tunes. quite a mix - from random mid 00s dutch gabba to old PCP techno, to some German breakbeat (white breaks/riot beats etc). All £1 or £2 each. and a few other bits (US jungle, a random Whitehouse promo, etc) there's a massive mix - lots of typical random bargain stuff but a few gems amongst it for those with the patience! and there is a turntable down there to chuck stuff on too.

worth a visit if you can spare the time to have a proper look! partly just enjoyable to bring back old memories of getting sore knees rifling through endless random records in a dark room and finding those bargains to make it worthwhile :D