Noise Factory being cocks

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
dj_yt
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Re: Noise Factory being cocks

Post by dj_yt » Tue May 15, 2012 8:07 pm

The problem really lies in using free hosting providers sadly. When you pay no money for a service, there is generally no customer service. Pretty much anyone can contact these sites and claim to be a copyright holder to have content removed. No real checks are performed.

A real shame to lose such a great archive...

ezman
Regular
Regular

Post by ezman » Tue May 15, 2012 8:22 pm

sad sad sad, the effort that went into that site - can't believe anyone would do this :( least of all noise factory.

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Wed May 16, 2012 10:16 am

Elusive9T2 wrote:
spackhandychoptubes wrote:i always thought their tunes were a bit shit anyway. and its all ripped samples.
Always the one to be controversial for the sake of it, I can't agree with that comment at all
Grated some of them are shit, but over half of them are wicked too

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Noise+Factory

Take a look at that list & tell me you can't pick out at least 20 essential tunes
Proper hardcore IMO

Just thinking of bass box gives me rushes & that is just 1 tune
I fucking love that orange we have it too, I could go on..............
I only really like a couple of their releases too....I really can't pick out anywhere near 20, sorry.

Horses for courses.

Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by 1992 » Fri May 18, 2012 12:47 am

I think I might have an idea of whats happened. This is my theory but I think its a really good theory.

I was thinking a lot about Noise Factory because of this thread and I remembered that I had this repress series that came out in 2001. Its called "90 - 95 Classic Jungle & Old Skool EP: Ibiza Records, 3rd Party, Kemet, Limited E Edition" and it ranges from volumes 1 - 9. I only have 1 - 8. By the time 9 came out my local record shop Concept had gone out of buisness.

These record sleaves at the bottom say "Distributed by Nu-Urban Distribution" Now I remember Nu-Urban having a link to Basement Records. Now the fellow behind Basement Records scolded my IRL friend at the time Chris Purity Control for having really low quality Basement Records MP3s on his website. I don't know for sure but I think he threatened to sue him! Chris did what any reasonable person would do and he took them down and forever after that had a foul taste in his mouth for Basement.

So if Basement Records / Nu-Urban owns the rights to Noise Factory, then theres the answer.

Its actually in clear english right on their own website that Nu-Urban is Basement Records and I quote:

"Nu Urban Music was launched in 2000 and set up by previous head of Vinyl Distribution, Phil Wells aka Basement Phil."

BAM!

References

Nu-Urban = Phil Wells:
http://www.nu-urbanmusic.co.uk/?q=node/49

Nu-Urban @ Discogs:
http://www.discogs.com/label/Nu+Urban+Music

Nu-Urban distributed Noise Factory 12" compilations:
http://www.discogs.com/label/Jungle+Nation

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Fri May 18, 2012 8:35 am

As somebody has previously mentioned, I do find it hard to understand how anyone can hold a copyright of material that itself is made of uncleared samples!

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Fri May 18, 2012 8:59 am

Yes I think you might be right 1992, I know the represses you're talking about and that would make sense.

extreme
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by extreme » Fri May 18, 2012 9:23 am

Yeah that's a good shout 1992, but there were just as many basement records tracks in the mixes as well.

One thing that's puzzling is all NF tracks are still on youtube, you would think that's the first place they would have gone to remove full versions?

dj_yt
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dj_yt » Fri May 18, 2012 12:15 pm

Beagle wrote:As somebody has previously mentioned, I do find it hard to understand how anyone can hold a copyright of material that itself is made of uncleared samples!
The artist would hold copyright to the arrangement I believe, but technically would be unable to release due to the uncleared samples.

Problem is, as mentioned, mediafire simply don't care and will take down anything they're asked to, by anyone. With free hosting services, it's not worth the manhours investigating this sort of thing.

Unfortunately, paid hosting is the more reliable way forward. And in future maybe obfuscate the "Noise Factory" artist name so that it can't be easily picked up by Google Search. One option is to include the tracklist as an image, rather than plantext.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Fri May 18, 2012 1:07 pm

Agreed, hosting is so cheap these days. I use Dreamhost, it costs me $100 USD a year for unlimited space, bandwidth, websites etc. My mixes site alone is about 10gb.

Backchat
Regular
Regular

Post by Backchat » Fri May 18, 2012 1:26 pm

dj jedi wrote:Agreed, hosting is so cheap these days. I use Dreamhost, it costs me $100 USD a year for unlimited space, bandwidth, websites etc. My mixes site alone is about 10gb.
:shock: 8-[ Shares some links mate :) \:D/

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Fri May 18, 2012 2:10 pm

For the hosting? Here you go:

http://dreamhost.com/web-hosting/

Backchat
Regular
Regular

Post by Backchat » Fri May 18, 2012 2:58 pm

lol ment for some sets but I'll have a look at that to thx

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Sat May 19, 2012 7:34 am

dj_yt wrote:
Beagle wrote: And in future maybe obfuscate the "Noise Factory" artist name so that it can't be easily picked up by Google Search. One option is to include the tracklist as an image, rather than plantext.
clever!

I haven't had a single problem using Soundcloud, but I know it does analyse the audio and will block it if detects copyrighted music. Only seems to be relevant for more commercial stuff. Bloody clever though!

dj_yt
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dj_yt » Sat May 19, 2012 11:03 am

Beagle wrote: I haven't had a single problem using Soundcloud, but I know it does analyse the audio and will block it if detects copyrighted music. Only seems to be relevant for more commercial stuff. Bloody clever though!
I heard that if you run into problems on SoundCloud you can work around it by chopping a few beats off the start of your mix (I think the first track in the mix is always most likely to be matched due to it having the full intro). Otherwise you can always dump some jingles over it. I don't think the algorithms they use are as sophisticated as Shazam. But like you say, haven't run into that problem myself.

As far as I can see on discogs, Noise Factory haven't released any material since 2001. I doubt they're making a lot of money off their old work, especially if they're still splitting the profits three ways. Suspect someone else may own the copyright now though.

pete.devnull
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by pete.devnull » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:22 am

Oops forgot all about this thread, been hosting a few mixes on mediafire since my hosting space is getting low.. Put up 2 mixes with 1 noise factory track each, low and behold 2 fresh DMCA notices :(

I was hopin this was just a company automatically taking links down, but reading the issuers site it seems like its actually a software tool that presents each link and asks the artist to confirm before removal. So at the very least, someone is specifically opting to remove all these mixes.