The death of vinyl

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
aztek
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

The death of vinyl

Post by aztek » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:55 pm

Elo all. I hope you are all well. Sorry for not coming on for ages and posting like this, but I have a bunch of records that have been in the loft for about 6 years and need to be sold. Some are records that used to be in major demand. I've looked on Discogs and the prices are on the floor. I've obviosuly not been in the scene for quite a few years now, so what's happened? Seems no one wants vinyl anymore. Have the bootleggers just killed it or are there now loads of represses.

I have an original finest illusion illegal version on section 5 that used to be my pride and joy, but it seems it's worthless now.

Wheres the best place to sell everything? I was thinking about sticking everything on ebay but it takes forever to list the records.

dj jedi

Re: The death of vinyl

Post by dj jedi » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:28 pm

Nothing to do with bootlegs or represses mate, it's the digital age. You can't even buy 1210s any more, everybody wants to play off laptops these days. Even the top jocks do. There still is and always will be a small market for vinyl, but the days of 2000-2002 where Sub Base records sold for £25 each are long gone and will never be back.

pete.devnull
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by pete.devnull » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:55 pm

Unfortunately the price of big tunes had to go down, most of those tunes had thousands upon thousands upon thousands of copies pressed. Even if the oldskool scene is alive and well, there's no way there's going to be 20-30,000 people actively trying to pay loads of cash for an oldskool track on vinyl when they can just nab an mp3 (legally even). I think there was kind of an artificial market before discogs got huge, discogs changed that by putting many/most of the copies for sale on the net in one place and making sellers compete w/ prices.

Plenty of obscure tunes will still cost you a fair penny though... also lots of ragga stuff etc still goes for a lot even if it's not mega rare.

retrospect
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by retrospect » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:23 am

so many people have already sold their records as you are about to do. Many that were prepared to pay for vinyl have got / had a lot of what they are after.. more supply less demand. On top of that as previous post said, people want digital copies so people have recorded their tunes to mp3 and cashed in on their collection. you can also buy clean mp3s of a lot of the major labels work. Shame as I'm about to sell a lot of mine too! Gonna hurt seeing some of em go for 1 or 2 quid

The_Ruffneck
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by The_Ruffneck » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:17 pm

economy went to shit
folks selling vinyl to pay for food/mortgage/credit cards etc
its rare i buy vinyl myself now but if i do i wont buy anything over 5 pounds and even then only stuff VG+ and up.Its a buyers market people can afford to be picky.

Backchat
Regular
Regular

Post by Backchat » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:22 pm

You can't buy 1210's any more :shock:

That's kinda sad :(

ske
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by ske » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:24 pm

i was lucky enough to cash in on some vinyl a few years back after ripping it all to digital format, i bought cdj's and mp3 mixers etc but although convient both lacked that oldskool feel of hands on etc.

i've since then sold my digital equipment and bought traktor scratch pro 2 for the best of both worlds and loving it.

i'm recollecting vinyl that i now know will stay in my collection for life. and i'm loving every minute of it. there seems to be more people like me now who have be vinyl gone digital and now ging vinyl again on certain stuff, it's a good time to buy as prices are low, but if it's something i really want i will pay over the odds.

like all markets everything flucuates and i'm sure prices will rise again one day esp now it seems to be of late a lot of do's seems to be promoting vinyl nights only.

have you a list of what's for sale?

phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by phil » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:52 pm

i only play vinyl - brought 7 records over the last 2 days - buyers market - happy days

oldskoolforever
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Post by oldskoolforever » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:23 pm

still only vinyl here too. However, it is a problem for me now with UK Hardcore as it seems they stopped vinyl releases as of Nov 2011. So, for some new tunes i'd like to play, I'd have to get them on mp3/WAV but with no current way of mixing them in a set ! Maybe i'll get traktor at some point, i'm not sure.

deebom
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by deebom » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:38 pm

I have pondered on selling records. I have a kind of half formed plan to sell off some of the rarer stuff and use the money to buy myself Serato. It's only got as far as joining discogs. I start reminiscing, I used to go looking for these tunes, I had to travel all over the place to get a lot of them. I think of the laughs we used to have out record buying. (Tripping in Black Market is a good one.) I cant bring myself to do and just end up buying stuff instead of selling it. Every tune has a different memory, some have more than one. Keep em, you will always regret getting rid of.

phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by phil » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:16 pm

deebom wrote:I have pondered on selling records. I have a kind of half formed plan to sell off some of the rarer stuff and use the money to buy myself Serato. It's only got as far as joining discogs. I start reminiscing, I used to go looking for these tunes, I had to travel all over the place to get a lot of them. I think of the laughs we used to have out record buying. (Tripping in Black Market is a good one.) I cant bring myself to do and just end up buying stuff instead of selling it. Every tune has a different memory, some have more than one. Keep em, you will always regret getting rid of.
Completly agree

aztek
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by aztek » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:42 pm

Looks like I was really lucky as I sold all my records back in 2005 when they were at their peak values. I think i made close to £10k for all my tunes. All i have now are the ones that didn't sell or I never listed. I suppose given the digital age it was always going to kill vinyl, esecially with the vast nimbers of mp3s that used to be on Bapster. Here's a list of the records I have left, most are house records and a few random tunes from the past:

http://www.discogs.com/seller/djaztek

So is elusive still around? I've not been on here in years, but was always good for a laugh. Did Warrant ever get released from prison?

The_Ruffneck
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by The_Ruffneck » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:31 am

aztek wrote:Did Warrant ever get released from prison?
Probably still inside , was a very serious offence.
If he did ever come back here i hope the moderators would ban him , the man is scum.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:42 am

Warrant did show up in Off Topic a year or two ago, didn't get a very good reception!

Whenever I look at the 'value' of my collection on Discogs, what makes me laugh is that about 20 records make up a good portion of the total value, so if I ever did need to sell tunes for cash they would be the first to go. So many are worth so little now that it's barely worth selling them.

dan
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by dan » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:51 pm

Just been reading this thread and its a suject ive thought about a lot recently. Ive often wondered if people are still paying the big prices on discogs (eg maybe an economix ep for 90 quid) or are people slowing down with the buying of tunes? I know ill never sell my records just because ive grown up with them and theres too many memories. That said i dont buy so many these days. Im still comfortable with the odd 15 quid purchase but never go much above that. Is that how most people work now?

thanks!