The death of vinyl

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: The death of vinyl

Post by dj_gyr8 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:10 pm

Hi,

Years ago, if you wanted a track, you had to obtain the vinyl...

For the last 5 plus years you do not need the vinyl, as somewhere on the net, the track is readily available.

Most people, like myself, required the vinyl, because when you turn up to play a gig, they have TURNTABLES.

If you remove the turntables, you remove the vinyl.

smeagol
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by smeagol » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:16 pm

vinyl all day long!
i sold about 500 of my best hardcore records between 2006-2009 for a couple of grand because the missus was useless with money so we needed the cash-
she left me afew years back so now im buying again- ill pay whatever i think each particular record is worth and how much i want it-
i after a dream city ep, theres two on discogs one for 1000 quid and one for over 100-
id pay 60 quid for a copy
had my decks since 2001, thinking i need to buy a new set if they gonna stop selling them soon!!

dreamweave
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dreamweave » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:28 pm

I had a bit of a vinyl revolution about a year ago. I had stopped, pretty much buying oldskool vinyl as they were starting to get expensive and I had also started buying more Breakcore and Hardcore Techno. Once I realised that loads of tunes were available on youtube I thought, why pay £20 for a vinyl when I can get a half decent rip for free? I then went on to buy Mixvibes, a cheap sera to type digital vinyl equivalent, and realised that the quality of these rips was shite and I really missed the original thing.
I will never go digital as CD decks are boring and I miss the cracks and pops in mixes, everything these days is clipped, compressed and equalised, music just sounds too nice. Also flicking through an ITunes library of thousands of songs and double clicking is so lifeless compared to getting a vinyl out of a sleeve, checking out the artwork, bringing the tone arm across and clicking the stop start button.

Haven't quite a few bands of today started releasing limited edition vinyl sets as part of their release, people like Arcade fire and U2??

champion puffa
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by champion puffa » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:15 pm

aztek wrote:Did Warrant ever get released from prison?

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=113569

:lol:

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:48 pm

Vinyl all day long.

It just ticks all the boxes for that i'd look for in a music related medium AND it just feels natural.

It's perfect for me.

spackhandychoptubes
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by spackhandychoptubes » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:07 pm

i buy my tunes WAV format online. I've been using cdj's and laptops for years and i'm glad i don't have to carry a bag of heavy vinyl around all night and get paranoid about them getting nicked.