Retro Trax Festival

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
jonny
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Re: Retro Trax Festival

Post by jonny » Tue May 08, 2012 9:40 pm

see ya there mate im meeting with Abo and Rizzla as well as others, cant fucking wait for this, it's gonna be a memorable experience \:D/ \:D/

strongforce
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by strongforce » Wed May 09, 2012 9:03 pm

wicked stuff........proper looking forward to this......some class acts that cant be missed!

Will be driving straight to the site around mid-day saturday, so wont be making a pub meet-up altho I know a couple of faces, so hopefully recognise a few while floating about.

Will be the tall guy wearing a Basement hoodie, so give me a shout if you spot me :wink:

oldskoolvibe.com
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Retro Trax Festival

Post by oldskoolvibe.com » Thu May 10, 2012 9:10 pm

Looks like the rain is gonna stop for this one! Proper looking forward to getting mashed for two days, can't beat a bit of bigtop raving!
If you see a 6ft 6 bloke in a grey addidas tracky top with a grinning mrs then say hello! :-)

dj_yt
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dj_yt » Sat May 12, 2012 12:45 am

See you down there. Will be in a red BLOC hoody depending on weather. Please direct me to the nearest bar if you see me.

phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by phil » Mon May 14, 2012 10:58 am

So how was it?

lucky the weather turned out to be good :)

will2003
He never locked his car door

Post by will2003 » Mon May 14, 2012 11:27 am

Went down to this on the Saturday - bit of a let down really. Was a great venue, DJ lineup was spot on, but it was really not that busy. Most of the tents were pretty empty through the day, although the house tent was quite full at times. Biggest shame of all was the sound levels - they were great up until about 11.30pm and then for the last couple of hours, it got turned down so much that you could hear people booing louder than the music itself :( Tango and Ratty suffered worse from this, it was a joke - must have thinned down to about 25 people in there it went so quiet :(

No-show from Easygroove who had apparently been ill and in a coma, so Robbie Dee came on the mic to explain, and then just played a CD of a recent Easygroove set and MC'd over it live. Again, the tent practically emptied out completely for that.

I'm sure the sound turning down was due to environmental health and complaints etc but there's no reason I can see for basically ruining the hardcore / dnb and techno systems while the house tent was still going at a relatively normal level?

Still had a good time, and I'm sure the sound levels and the poor attendance are hardly the fault of the promoters but assuming all the booked DJs and acts got paid then I can't imagine they could have broken even, let alone made much on it? Could be wrong there though as I don't know how busy Sunday was. Bit of a pisstake charging £10 for the car park though, especially as we only had Saturday tickets!

Highlight of the day was definitely the 2 Bad Mice DJ set after their live PA. Hearing Satin Storm - Let's Get Together when the sound system was still nice and loud was excellent 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXVpG6pmoNI

DJ ABO

Post by DJ ABO » Mon May 14, 2012 1:08 pm

in amongst a few little gripes I thought it was brilliant! Yeah it could have done with some more people but I thought on the saturday it was busy enough, especially in the evening. I prefer to have room to rave rather than bashing into people. The music was really good, good vibes/crowd, didn't hear any anthem bashing apart from terrorise, such a feeling a couple of times. It did seem to die on the sunday though with people going home or monged/hangover, could have done with more people then to get the party going again.

bar prices were expensive too, £3.30 for a small bottle of beer, two of these filled a pint glass = £6.60 pint!

8.5/10 for me, quality weekend.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Mon May 14, 2012 1:28 pm

Sounds like a good even that could have been better, hopefully they do another. Must admit I didn't go because of my scepticism, I didn't see how an event with such big yet obscure names could possibly attract enough people to be feasible. Sounds like they managed it somehow even with a relatively low attendance though. If they do another, I'll be there :)

Backchat
Regular
Regular

Post by Backchat » Mon May 14, 2012 1:49 pm

dj jedi wrote:Sounds like a good even that could have been better, hopefully they do another. Must admit I didn't go because of my scepticism, I didn't see how an event with such big yet obscure names could possibly attract enough people to be feasible. Sounds like they managed it somehow even with a relatively low attendance though. If they do another, I'll be there :)
Yeah I reckon if they do another next year it will attract a bigger crowd too :)

livvy

Post by livvy » Mon May 14, 2012 1:56 pm

One of my good mates went to this at the weekend spent a fortune he said and was utter rubbish infact he went home sunday afternoon, and said he wouldn't ever go again it was a rip off, everything was over charged the place was near empty the worst event he has been too so far, :-(

oldskoolvibe.com
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Retro Trax Festival

Post by oldskoolvibe.com » Mon May 14, 2012 2:05 pm

Had a brilliant weekend with the mrs, met some top people and the vibe was nice, could of done with more people and a bit more volume but it was still worth going.
Heard quite a few tents got robbed on the Saturday night, when we turned up midday on Sunday from our b&b the police were mob handed at the entrance taking someone away for pulling a knife apparently. Didn't see any trouble myself though!
I felt a bit for some of the djs playing to small crowds, but the quietest place by far was definitely the VIP area.
Overall had a quality weekend and had a good laugh feeding off the shiny shoe plain clothes CID haha they didn't look happy sitting on their bench!

enfield_paul
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master
Location: Down the front, on the left by the speakers at the Ark

Post by enfield_paul » Mon May 14, 2012 2:25 pm

any guess of the numbers attending?

DJ ABO

Post by DJ ABO » Mon May 14, 2012 4:32 pm

some video clips I took

scruffy
Regular
Regular

Post by scruffy » Mon May 14, 2012 5:23 pm

Was a top weekend. There were 9 of us there and we got spango'd! A large number of brain cells are at bath race course and I had 2 days of madness.

Sound levels meant we left early for the campsite both nights as there was no bass in the place! Spoke to a few guys and Easygroove is seriously ill - Robbie Dee was pretty shook up but respect for turning up and doing a tribute.

Respect to Kenyon and the retrotrax Crew - frank De Wulf, Top Buzz, CJ Bolland, Slipmatt and seeing Faydz scratching live were awesome. Could have done with more people but hey ho!

I'm lobstered up and fading badly today but had a mental time.

fannypad

Post by fannypad » Mon May 14, 2012 6:11 pm

Oh god... this looks horrific. Tumbleweed dancefloors, music you can hear people talking over and idiot MCs.

I was offered a free ticket but didn't go for the same cynical reason as Jedi. Looks like I'd definitely have resented paying for the diesel to get my van down there only to head back an hour later.

What were De Wulf, Bolland and Marshall Jefferson's sets like?