How to ruin a track

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
what evil lurks
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

How to ruin a track

Post by what evil lurks » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:49 pm

What was he thinking about from 2:15 to 3:00 aprox?

Thumpson
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: How to ruin a track

Post by Thumpson » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:13 pm

What are you talking about, that bit rules ;)
I can think of much worse ways in which many tunes have been ruined: dodgy samples, not properly synced loops, out of tune melodies coming in all of a sudden...

pete.devnull
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by pete.devnull » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:04 pm

that speed up is awesome and fun to play with live (I use to mix oldskool into breakcore sometimes hehe). Love tunes where people try different things like this instead of the same old tried-and-tested samples/structure.

what evil lurks
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by what evil lurks » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:12 pm

pete.devnull wrote:that speed up is awesome and fun to play with live (I use to mix oldskool into breakcore sometimes hehe). Love tunes where people try different things like this instead of the same old tried-and-tested samples/structure.
Yes, I like creative producers as well...but in this case it didn't work for me :)

Sometimes you forum guys are too underground, you even like the most horrendous white label shite released in 92 as far as it was rare!!

squatski
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by squatski » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:13 pm

ruined bits: 00:15-00:39
and again at: 2:21-3:13 & end

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons
Location: Bat Beat Vol 2 - It's Still Here!!!! (as are a few copies of Vol 1)

Post by renegadegenius » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:02 pm

what evil lurks wrote:What was he thinking about from 2:15 to 3:00 aprox?

1.45 - 3mins is the best bit :lol:

digital delight
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by digital delight » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:50 pm

This is one of my all time favourite tracks. Wicked beats, wicked piano, simple but effective vox. What more could you want? This is what hardcore is all about - it's just so uplifting! Awesome

what evil lurks
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by what evil lurks » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:56 pm

Yes, I must be mad then.

Acen, Hyper On Experience, 4 Hero, Neil Rumney, L. Howlett...all of them wanted to produce a tune like this but they never could :D

DJ Chance
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by DJ Chance » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:57 pm

Thats the first time hearing that track for me that I recall.

That bit would be mental in the dance!! Think it is good!

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:27 am

I don't understand all the fuss; there were a few tunes that did similar things back then.

For example, 'James Brown is Still Alive' slowed right down in the middle and sped up again.

People were more creative and willing to risk things back then.

pete.devnull
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by pete.devnull » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:45 pm

big +1 on this. Xenophobia "Project 250" does similar thing, is maybe MORE dodgy sounding and it's still a great tune that's super fun to bounce around to.

Just because you only appreciate more polished poppier or "accomplished" hardcore. doesn't mean that people who also like gritty low fi stuff are being "more obscure than thou". First off, Bogwoppa stuff is far from super hard to find obscurest-of-the-obscure - if we wanted to go that route we'd probably jump right to any number of super noname white labels. Second, while it's pretty low-fi and gritty, it's all entirely functional, well sequenced and actually adheres to a clear and appreciable aesthetic (grimey amiga tracks with heavy b-boy/electro influence, good break choices and chopping and cheeky but well picked samples), versus tracks that just sound like an ill-thought-out mess.

Plus this track actually has a lot of character to it, which is more than I can say for a lot of the "tenerife rare" stuff people pay insane amounts for. I'd rather pay 4 pounds for this tune than 100 euros for friction and spice "groove me"
Beagle wrote:I don't understand all the fuss; there were a few tunes that did similar things back then.

For example, 'James Brown is Still Alive' slowed right down in the middle and sped up again.

fannypad
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by fannypad » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:38 am

what evil lurks wrote:you even like the most horrendous white label shite released in 92 as far as it was rare!!
So true. The amount of utter toss that gets fawned over on here solely because it encapsulates the holy trifecta of Not On Label, more wants than gots on Discogs and a smudged stamp on a hearing-aid-beige label.

what evil lurks
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by what evil lurks » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:47 pm

pete.devnull wrote:big +1 on this. Xenophobia "Project 250" does similar thing, is maybe MORE dodgy sounding and it's still a great tune that's super fun to bounce around to.

Just because you only appreciate more polished poppier or "accomplished" hardcore. doesn't mean that people who also like gritty low fi stuff are being "more obscure than thou". First off, Bogwoppa stuff is far from super hard to find obscurest-of-the-obscure - if we wanted to go that route we'd probably jump right to any number of super noname white labels. Second, while it's pretty low-fi and gritty, it's all entirely functional, well sequenced and actually adheres to a clear and appreciable aesthetic (grimey amiga tracks with heavy b-boy/electro influence, good break choices and chopping and cheeky but well picked samples), versus tracks that just sound like an ill-thought-out mess.

Plus this track actually has a lot of character to it, which is more than I can say for a lot of the "tenerife rare" stuff people pay insane amounts for. I'd rather pay 4 pounds for this tune than 100 euros for friction and spice "groove me"
Beagle wrote:I don't understand all the fuss; there were a few tunes that did similar things back then.

Alright mate, I respect your opinion and I do like your blog and most of the tracks that you talk about, I was only referring to this track in particular as I just bought the vinyl in a bargain deal the other day and I was amazed when I listened to that part.

There was no need to make a comparison with the Tenerife tracks because I agree with you in the fact that many (not all) of the Tenerife hyped tracks are way overrated and a few of them are shit. If you read my posts during the all these years, you will see that I'm not one of those dickheads.

dubplate records
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dubplate records » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:52 pm

squatski wrote:ruined bits: 00:15-00:39
and again at: 2:21-3:13 & end
aw man I love that piano/strings! :D
I take it you think they're cheesy?
anyone remind me where the piano/strings sample comes from?

phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by phil » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:49 pm

Personally i dont like that sped up bit at all