An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Post by eazyflow » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:23 pm

RonWellsJS wrote:
No I didn't work with him after he disappeared up his own arse.

;-)
:lol:

what evil lurks
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by what evil lurks » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:08 am

why did he?

I've always wondered what happened to Alex Reece after 1996? I own his album and he seemed to have had a great deal of success with Feel The Sunshine and Pulp Fiction in 1995, does anybody know?

Elusive9T2
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Elusive9T2 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:48 am

All the big record companies threw money at the D&B artists around that time & they all jumped ship from the independents
When the sales weren't as good as expected on these first albums (and the hype had died down) they pulled the rug from underneath them
Having burned their bridges with the independents had no where else to go once they lost their major deals & they just vanished

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:18 am

I remember reading an interview with you in Mixmag or DJ around 96 where you called him out for being a posh kid pretending to be from the ghetto, totally burned him!

In the same interview I think you were saying how ashamed you were for making Trumpton, though i guess you've mellowed to that over the years. Nothing to be ashamed about as the B side is a classic.

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:18 am

Elusive9T2 wrote:All the big record companies threw money at the D&B artists around that time & they all jumped ship from the independents
When the sales weren't as good as expected on these first albums (and the hype had died down) they pulled the rug from underneath them
Having burned their bridges with the independents had no where else to go once they lost their major deals & they just vanished
Dear Sir, Perfection!

... and at the time the major labels didn't realise that many of these so called 'artists' we not nearly clever enough to make a whole album of listenable music which would be of sufficient quality to be appreciated by the mainstream record buying public.

What you are supposed to do when you are a signed 'artist' in this position is work with skilled people that can take you to the required level, instead of keeping all of the money for yourself, making a crap LP and failing in 5 minutes.

;-)

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:31 am

rage wrote: I remember reading an interview with you in Mixmag or DJ around 96 where you called him out for being a posh kid pretending to be from the ghetto, totally burned him!

In the same interview I think you were saying how ashamed you were for making Trumpton, though i guess you've mellowed to that over the years. Nothing to be ashamed about as the B side is a classic.
I was horrified at how fast he conveniently forgot those who had seriously helped him. TBH those tunes do not at all stand the test of time, they are infantile in their composition, many of them sound positively daft these days. Music is much like wine, it's only a true classic if it ages for 20 years or more. I've made my fair share of 'flash in the pan fodder' and I know how to identify it.

I've learned to live with the 'success' of Trumpton, I'm beginning to even become marginally proud of it. Not everyone has had a top 10 Hit... it's a good ice breaker in business meetings.

;-)

lien
B2VOS VIP 2011
B2VOS VIP 2011

Post by lien » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:07 pm

RonWellsJS wrote:I've learned to live with the 'success' of Trumpton, I'm beginning to even become marginally proud of it. Not everyone has had a top 10 Hit... it's a good ice breaker in business meetings.

;-)
As Rage said the B-Side is better, but Trumpton is an OK track. How many "plastic" ravers from back in the day remember that tune? Shite loads! They won't remember some obscure 4th track on the B-Side of an obscure 12'.

Just out of interest did you ever hear the Unity 88.4 FM adverts that had a pop at Trip To Trumpton?
https://youtu.be/ZpdKNONwoic?t=1296

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:15 pm

lien wrote: Just out of interest did you ever hear the Unity 88.4 FM adverts that had a pop at Trip To Trumpton?
Ha ha LOL... fair play to'em.

I would have said the same at the time.

;-)

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:50 pm

RonWellsJS wrote:I was horrified at how fast he conveniently forgot those who had seriously helped him. TBH those tunes do not at all stand the test of time, they are infantile in their composition, many of them sound positively daft these days. Music is much like wine, it's only a true classic if it ages for 20 years or more. I've made my fair share of 'flash in the pan fodder' and I know how to identify it.
I've always thought his debut album was crap, every track has exactly the same percussion in it! By about the 3rd track the identical crash every 4 bars becomes REALLY tedious. You're right, they sound like music by numbers, as if he used the same arrangement for every track and just changed the synth presets.

I love Pulp Fiction so some credit is due, maybe he got lucky or like you say just rode on the waves of others.

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:43 am

dj jedi wrote:
I've always thought his debut album was crap, every track has exactly the same percussion in it! By about the 3rd track the identical crash every 4 bars becomes REALLY tedious. You're right, they sound like music by numbers, as if he used the same arrangement for every track and just changed the synth presets.

I love Pulp Fiction so some credit is due, maybe he got lucky or like you say just rode on the waves of others.
= Lazy, vapid arrogance... but he had a BRILLIANT manager! (which he dumped immediately after he had got him the money).

ian saunders remix
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by ian saunders remix » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:28 am

Was his manager Jon Sexton? I added that it was to Alex's Discogs page and he got in contact with me saying that he had never managed him and that I was an arsehole.

So, he was 50% right :lol:

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:05 pm

ian saunders remix wrote:Was his manager Jon Sexton? I added that it was to Alex's Discogs page and he got in contact with me saying that he had never managed him and that I was an arsehole.

So, he was 50% right :lol:
I don't really know his name but it sounds familiar, regardless... what I do know is his behaviour to those that helped him was utterly appalling. He used to boast about the offers he was getting whilst at the same time slagging his manager off for taking a cut for doing nothing. The words 'cake and eat it' spring to mind.

His career was as much ended by karma as it was musical ineptitude. Basically he lucked out for 5 minutes and shat on everyone who put him in the position to catch and ride (for those few minutes) said luck. He was fairly quickly found out.

I was contacted by him not so long ago, I flatly ignored the correspondence - even after all these years, I can't forgive contemptuous and selfish behaviour of such magnitude.

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:08 pm

looked through my vinyl the other day... turns out that I don't have copies of the vast majority of my work. Looks like I probably threw out a few too many tunes for the dustman all those years ago.

How ironic, given how this thread was started, LOL.

TBH though, I have no desire to 'play out', so I don't need them for that purpose, but perhaps if I had taken myself seriously, I might have kept at least one 'file copy' of everything for keepsake.

Fizza
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Fizza » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:12 am

lien wrote:
RonWellsJS wrote:I've learned to live with the 'success' of Trumpton, I'm beginning to even become marginally proud of it. Not everyone has had a top 10 Hit... it's a good ice breaker in business meetings.

;-)
As Rage said the B-Side is better, but Trumpton is an OK track. How many "plastic" ravers from back in the day remember that tune? Shite loads! They won't remember some obscure 4th track on the B-Side of an obscure 12'.

Just out of interest did you ever hear the Unity 88.4 FM adverts that had a pop at Trip To Trumpton?
It's funny, I never really liked Sesame's Treet - in fact I had to check discogs just now to see whether I'd even bought it, but I thought Trip To Trumpton was great, it was nonsensical but well put together and the piano in it hit the spot (much better minus the 'heat' vocal IMHO). I think oddball things like that were good hallmarks of the time, some worked like Power Pill & Roobarb & Custard, Rave in a Bedroom, etc.. whereas others didn't, Trip to Trumpton worked for me and I never hesitated playing it, and still wouldn't really. I always looked at those types of tracks like the crazy parts of The Lesson's mixes that harked back to Afrika Bambaataa's/Zulu Beats show.

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:59 am

Fizza wrote:Afrika Bambaataa's/Zulu Beats show.
Wow that's a blast from the past.

;-)