An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
warpedcore
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Post by warpedcore » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:03 pm

all the tunes on 20 hurts would be awesome , i could put my original away and not touch it again :)

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:08 pm

warpedcore wrote:all the tunes on 20 hurts would be awesome , i could put my original away and not touch it again :)
It ought to be easy to load those up, I still have the disks and key equipment. I promise that I will embark on a revival project covering key tunes when the time is right.

warpedcore
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by warpedcore » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:43 pm

RonWellsJS wrote:
warpedcore wrote:all the tunes on 20 hurts would be awesome , i could put my original away and not touch it again :)
It ought to be easy to load those up, I still have the disks and key equipment. I promise that I will embark on a revival project covering key tunes when the time is right.
:D

phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by phil » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:06 pm

RonWellsJS wrote:
look forward to that

silky
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by silky » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:34 pm

Ron.

Happy New Year. What did you do with yours?

I have some more questions for you if you don't mind.

What made you want to learn Synthesis as opposed to using a sampler with sample CD's etc?

And how did you develop "Your Sound" within the techniques of Synthesis? (I am not asking for your secrets) just wanted to know if it happened through trial and error, experimenting and the sheer amount of time you spent in the studio?

Do you have any books, tutorials on Synthesis you think are worth reading to understand it more?

Thanks

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:31 am

silky wrote:Ron.

Happy New Year. What did you do with yours?

I have some more questions for you if you don't mind.

What made you want to learn Synthesis as opposed to using a sampler with sample CD's etc?

And how did you develop "Your Sound" within the techniques of Synthesis? (I am not asking for your secrets) just wanted to know if it happened through trial and error, experimenting and the sheer amount of time you spent in the studio?

Do you have any books, tutorials on Synthesis you think are worth reading to understand it more?
I wanted to make my own music as opposed to just making montages of the work of others, so sampling (music passages) was not an option. But to be honest, when I started making tunes (1988-9) most tunes didn't contain samples anyway, just a few synths and a drum machine. I knew I needed to get a sampler for vocals and chopping breaks so I got an Ensoniq EPS, then upgraded to ASR-10 (best sounding sampler ever).

Self taught... I learnt synthesis on the Roland Juno 106 it's probably still the easiest way to learn the basics and still produce amazing sounds. Synthesis is all about trial and error and time investment. There are no secrets, anyone can do it.

'My sound' is mainly identifiable by the combo of the Roland 808/909 drum machines, break-beats with Roland JX8-P and Korg O1R/W and Wavestation synths.

Elusive9T2
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Elusive9T2 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:18 pm

http://www.discogs.com/Crossfade-NRG-He ... ster/84275

I was playing that a few weeks back on the radio and I was saying it sounds like Jack smooth produced it
The beats sound very Basement style

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:11 am

Elusive9T2 wrote:http://www.discogs.com/Crossfade-NRG-He ... ster/84275

I was playing that a few weeks back on the radio and I was saying it sounds like Jack smooth produced it
I've not heard it, don't recognise the name... this one most likely has nothing to do with me.

The YouTube link on Discogs has been taken down (copyright infringement) so it wouldn't play.

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons
Location: Bat Beat Vol 2 - It's Still Here!!!! (as are a few copies of Vol 1)

Post by renegadegenius » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:18 am

RonWellsJS wrote:
Elusive9T2 wrote:http://www.discogs.com/Crossfade-NRG-He ... ster/84275

I've not heard it, don't recognise the name... this one most likely has nothing to do with me.

The YouTube link on Discogs has been taken down (copyright infringement) so it wouldn't play.
Videos re-up'd.

silky
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by silky » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:53 am

Ron...... Look what turned up this afternoon at my house. :D

Excited is an understatement right now.

Now its time to fire this Korg 0/1 "R"on "W"ells up! (See what I did there :D)

There could be a question or 2 coming your way after some experimentation with this awesome unit. I hope you don't mind. :)

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:55 am

without using waveshaping you won't get the real distinctive techno sounds, it's ALL in the waveshaping bit.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:13 pm

Just thought of a question for you Ron, did you always attend the cuts of your tracks and can you think of any that were a disappointment when the vinyl arrived? I can't think of anything you were involved in on Basement that sounds bad, but I'm sure there must be occasions where you weren't 100% happy with the end result. I've released about 10 records over the years and a few of them sounded terrible due to shoddy mastering (JTS.)

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:55 pm

dj jedi wrote:Just thought of a question for you Ron, did you always attend the cuts of your tracks and can you think of any that were a disappointment when the vinyl arrived? I can't think of anything you were involved in on Basement that sounds bad, but I'm sure there must be occasions where you weren't 100% happy with the end result. I've released about 10 records over the years and a few of them sounded terrible due to shoddy mastering (JTS.)
I've attended many cuts, but probably only 10%.

To be honest I've never been particularly overjoyed by the results of any of them.

IMHO mastering often does more damage than good (but I'm a fussy, grumpy git when it comes to sound quality). This of course assumes the material is mixed well in the first instance = "get the best monitors you can afford".

;-)

silky
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by silky » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:56 am

RonWellsJS wrote:without using waveshaping you won't get the real distinctive techno sounds, it's ALL in the waveshaping bit.

Well after a few hours of playing around with this Synth I can definitely hear that Jack Smooth Sound is hidden away in that rack.
There are some awesome patches in there. I can't imagine what that must of been like hearing sounds like that for the first time in 1991-1992.
After layering some sounds and using the Waveshaping function you can really hear that great techno sound.

Ron I have loads of general questions to ask you so ill start by asking these 2.

1. What is your favourite track you have produced and why?

2. Roughly how many times would you listen to a track you're working on before you were happy with it?

I won't bombard you with tonnes of questions ill spread them out over posts.

Thanks again.

:D

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:37 am

silky wrote:
After layering some sounds and using the Waveshaping function you can really hear that great techno sound.

1. What is your favourite track you have produced and why?

2. Roughly how many times would you listen to a track you're working on before you were happy with it?
I would imagine most Korg 01 owners never delved into waveshaping as I never heard anything like the sounds I made on it anywhere else, a shame for those who didn't know what they had = read the manual and experiment!

1. '7th Heaven' is up there because it doesn't sound like anyone else and has reasonable musical integrity, whist still working well at clubs. I think it's hard to make tracks that genuinely sound as good at home.

2. I tried to complete everything within 1 day so that would limit how long could be spent... I used to eq and effect each part as it was added (whilst it was being created), so this made the final mixdown much simpler and quicker = less times needed to listen to reach acceptable quality.