An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
dwarde78
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Re: An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Post by dwarde78 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:13 pm

jamie wrote: Here is a clip...

http://soundcloud.com/randomprocess/tun ... gle-techno

Looking forward to hearing the new stuff. But keep the jungle techno and jazzy drum n bass influences please. ;)
Wicked tune, can hear the same snare pattern in this remix too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxgrdxTvlro

vali/ nme click
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by vali/ nme click » Thu May 02, 2013 3:29 pm

Does anyone know if SENT 1204 came out or what it was planned to be? It´s not on Discogs and shouldve come out between Hedgehog Affair Part IV (SENT 1203) and the Push Up The Levels Remix/ Made U Dance (SENT1205)
http://www.discogs.com/label/Sound+Entity+Records

Adam Timeless
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Adam Timeless » Thu May 02, 2013 3:53 pm

dj jedi wrote:
dj_yt wrote:I fail to see how the 1996 formula of wobbly bassline, hiphop sample and then 2 mins of boring looped break will ever return. It wasn't the most creative period of dance music; even at the time it felt like producers trying to make a quick buck.
Yeah I know what you mean, the whole Joker Records/Dope Dragon etc sound is IMO just as cheesey as the happy hardcore from the same era that most people hate and I can't see it ever being respectable again. Best forgotten I think, save for the good memories attached .
I couldn't get into it at the time, all my mates were bang on it (either that or the happy hardcore). I was more into stuff like Alex Reece/ Wax Doctor or Doc Scott/ Metalheadz etc (GLR/ Bukem was a bit wishy washy for me at the time as they had gone down the ambient chillout route), but I was still going to the big raves/ clubs which played the cheesier stuff just for the atmosphere. Its ironic that as much as I rated Bizzy B, I never really cared much for his Joker/Dream Team era (except the first few releases). If I hear Warhead again though I cannot be responsible for a violent outburst...

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:59 am

Came across this today - Some new Jack Smooth bits recorded for TV etc etc
http://tinyurl.com/oumx2jp

silky
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by silky » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:49 am

Glad you brought up this thread again.

Been meaning to ask Ron more about the Synths he used. I am particularity interested in the Korg 01W and it's Wave Shaping capabilities for his lead sounds and if he would recommend still getting one today? Do you still own one?
Jungle Techno is something I have a lot of love for, so would love to know his experiences of using it in his Studio.

Would need to get one shipped out to me here in New Zealand though which is a shame none seem to be out here to buy.

Thanks in advance.

wigs
Regular
Regular

Post by wigs » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:11 pm

Not sure if this has been posted before.. I've just scanned this article from Eternity mag.

silky
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by silky » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:32 am

Fantastic read. Thanks Wigs.

Ron echo's my thoughts on the Rave scene and even the Nu Breaks scene today as the majority are doing fooking old rave Remixes time and time again and using samplers to do so. Where has the musical talent, creativity gone?

This does my head in. I'm no musically talent producer by any stretch and I don't release or make many tracks as most of the time I am teaching myself the ways of Synthesis to be able to make my own sound (Even if some of it has sounded like Basements tracks the sounds I make are Synth based and of my own work) The ability to make your own sound from scratch is better than anything you can pump out of a Sampler!

I still swear though that a producer's most important piece of equipment is a Sampler after all, and I only say this as a means of using it for percussion/breaks elements of tracks but its an instrument that always get abused far too often.

Although Ron is/was clearly concerned about the sampling of his music for other people's use I personally agree with everything he says and he was such a forward thinker. Look at him now, a very successful producer and someone I will always aspire to.

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:40 am

ian saunders wrote:Came across this today - Some new Jack Smooth bits recorded for TV etc etc
http://tinyurl.com/oumx2jp
LOL, funny this thread has been brought up again after all this time. I thought you lot had got bored of me.

;-)

Those tunes are made speccifically for TV, film and video so they are all softened up. You'll not find much hardcore in there, although there might be a few bits, most of it will probably make you cringe.

I've just submitted another 18 tracks this month.

At the moment this is the only music project I work on, but one day when I have the time I have plans to undergo the huge project of re-mixing and making available every release of note.

Best : R

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:43 am

silky wrote:Glad you brought up this thread again.

Been meaning to ask Ron more about the Synths he used. I am particularity interested in the Korg 01W and it's Wave Shaping capabilities for his lead sounds and if he would recommend still getting one today? Do you still own one?
Jungle Techno is something I have a lot of love for, so would love to know his experiences of using it in his Studio.

Would need to get one shipped out to me here in New Zealand though which is a shame none seem to be out here to buy.

Thanks in advance.
Ahh that makes sense why we were talking about the 01R/W privately recently, I still have mine because I can't make any other synth sound the same (when using waveshaping).

Best : R

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:55 am

silky wrote: The ability to make your own sound from scratch is better than anything you can pump out of a Sampler!
yes, Yes, YES!

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:00 am

wigs wrote:Not sure if this has been posted before.. I've just scanned this article from Eternity mag.
That was a serious blast from the past... it re-kindled a lot of memories (some good, some bad and some awesome).

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:10 am

I have a question Ron, in your opinion what was the last 'jungle techno' track you made? There is a very noticeable shift from hardcore to Drum & Bass on Smooth Recordings (which I believe was your last 'rave' involvement) but were there any others that slipped through the net we may not know about? I often notice that Basement has a real mix of Drum & Bass and hardcore on the 94 releases, perhaps highlighting a desire to progress but also hanging on to your jungle techno 4/4 sound because it was just so damn good! :)

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:20 am

Also, any idea what this apparently unreleased Fast Floor track is?

http://www.discogs.com/Fast-Floor-Inta- ... se/4061477

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:59 pm

dj jedi wrote:Also, any idea what this apparently unreleased Fast Floor track is?

http://www.discogs.com/Fast-Floor-Inta- ... se/4061477
Haven't a clue, there were so many tunes being made in those days. It could be anything.

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:00 pm

dj jedi wrote:I have a question Ron, in your opinion what was the last 'jungle techno' track you made? There is a very noticeable shift from hardcore to Drum & Bass on Smooth Recordings (which I believe was your last 'rave' involvement) but were there any others that slipped through the net we may not know about? I often notice that Basement has a real mix of Drum & Bass and hardcore on the 94 releases, perhaps highlighting a desire to progress but also hanging on to your jungle techno 4/4 sound because it was just so damn good! :)
Not sure, it might be the Ratty tape one that nobody knows the name of. I'll have to see if I can find the disks for that tune one day.