Altern 8 packs up!

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
samuel
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Altern 8 packs up!

Post by samuel » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:55 pm

Just heard the news, which are rumours but supposedly Mark Archer's official statement.

As we all know, they split up pretty badly with Chris Peat bitd and they've never regained friendship. Now Chris Peat has won the rights for the names Altern 8 and Nexus 21 by court order afaik which means he can't continue using the name. Pretty sick if it's true.

If this is true, how can Chris be so stubbord over this matter? Discuss.
Last edited by samuel on Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: Altern 8 packs up!

Post by Restless » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:06 pm

I've caught altern 8 out twice over the last four years & they were stupidly tight and the selection was well good !

Out of the original old guard they are the tightest & still technicly crisp by a mile !

Really sad if true !

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:10 pm

I always heard that they split up over money issues -maybe if Chris thought he'd been pretty ripped off by Network or Mark (or both) it might cause resentment over a length of time -especially as he quit the music business to run a computer shop.

If they just stopped recording, then i would of thought that Mark would have had to have asked permission from Chris to use the Altern 8 name (although Mark Archer from Altern 8 would be ok)

i don't know i'm waffling lol

shuffleupaggus
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by shuffleupaggus » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:53 pm

:(
it's always sad when the people who make the music that informed your youth either disappear,go their separate ways,become bitter or turn out to be arseholes.
but if livelihoods's are at stake then i can sort of understand.
"creative differences" is one thing,but getting ripped off & not getting paid is another.

can't comment on the who's,where's,as to's & whys.
all i know is... it SUCKS when my favourite groups split & then all the bad blood,rumours & brouhaha that follows.
Gerald/808,The Black Dog,Underground Resistance,Kraftwerk & so on.

"it's a shit business"

samuel
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by samuel » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:15 am

Ian Saunders wrote: If they just stopped recording, then i would of thought that Mark would have had to have asked permission from Chris to use the Altern 8 name (although Mark Archer from Altern 8 would be ok)
Permission or not, Chris has naturally got money from radio plays and record licences which probably isn't much but I don't know if Mark has then taken all the money from his perfomances, probably has and I don't see a problem there because they've been his DJ gigs.

Thing is, Mark cannot perform as Altern 8 OR Mark Archer/DJ Nex (ex: Altern 8, he simply isn't allowed to use the whole groups name anywhere). Surely court cannot deny him playing Altern 8 tracks but it has to happen as Mark Archer, DJ Nex or something else then.
Last edited by samuel on Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

esq
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by esq » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:47 am

Shame, Mark is sound as a pound...

Jacko

Post by Jacko » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:11 pm

im quite sure mark uses b2vos,and im sure he will put us straight if he happens to see this thread,if thats the case that is very sad indeed,but im sure mark will sort something out regarding this.

Jacko.

shuffleupaggus
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by shuffleupaggus » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:11 pm

if you're calling yourself Altern 8 (wearing the clobber) & performing under that name with only one of the original members + making good money doing that,then that must be a bit of a smack in the face for the other guy.

i've never met either of them.

how do you know Chris isn't also sound as a pound ?
there's always two sides to every story.

dj_yt
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dj_yt » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:42 pm

It's a pity they couldn't have reached a deal out of court where Mark bought the rights to the name and band image from Chris.

Still, I'm presuming that Mark will carry on DJing regardless. Just not under the Altern 8 moniker.

aize
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by aize » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:36 pm

Mark Archer is without doubt one of the best Djs i've seen. Damn shame if he can't keep doing the Altern8 thing cos he's bloody good at it. :(

dj_yt
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dj_yt » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:58 am

Proposed new name: Alternate

shuffleupaggus
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by shuffleupaggus » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:18 pm

a neutral party who knows the 2 of them should facilit8 & medi8 ,so that they can both deliber8,cogit8,rumin8,reconcili8,bury the hatch8 - with an aim to reinst8 & devast8 before it's not too L8 M8

KENNYPILGRIM
New User
New User

Post by KENNYPILGRIM » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:46 pm

I'm proud to say that i played on the same bill as Mark as one of his last gigs as Altern8 on friday oct 30th Dublin. Mark Archer has been playing with MARK BUTTLER aka MARK ONE the original Altern8 mc since the late 90's till present.

I know both of them pretty well and didnt really wanna discuss the matter with them. They were both in fine form and they just shrugged it off when mentioned.

Mark Archer has been makin techno now under his own name and had a couple of tunes released thats done pretty well. He done a limited amount of Vinyl on his first release and its been going for stupid money on EBAY.

Knowing Mark he'll carry on doing his thing.

shuffleupaggus
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by shuffleupaggus » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:25 pm

KENNYPILGRIM wrote: He done a limited amount of Vinyl on his first release and its been going for stupid money on EBAY.
that's cuz they only pressed 93 copies :lol:
something to with numerology or symbology if i remember right :-k
they went like hot cakes :(
nice tunes though... back to 90' 91' vibe

Rapid
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Rapid » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:11 pm

No doubt there will be some novelty act in teh future called 'Top One, Nice One' and perform at raves up and down the country with more kit than the original band did BITD.