Labrynth

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
d0main
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Labrynth

Post by d0main » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:09 am

Just wanted to say what a fuckin excellent night. Didn’t decide to go till the very last minute but thanks to DTFR aka Bomber jacket of rudeness for the loan. Big shout to the Cutter and his crew for his hospitality and smokes…. Top night and proper roadblock

phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: Labrynth

Post by phil » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:03 am

Where was it ? was it packed out then? good music?

remember seeing it talked about a while ago bu t forgot all about it.

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:49 am

was pretty good music wise actually, i thought...i mean, all things considered. perhaps not quite enough obscurities for some of the more hardline people on here ;) but it was at least only a total anthemfest at the end.

it was absolutely rammed though. it was bugging me a bit, cos trying to get anywhere at first was near impossible. but at the same time it's pretty heartening to go to a night and not only hear oldskool other than the anthems, but for it to be totally full of people enjoying it as well!

DFTRF5DF
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by DFTRF5DF » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:08 pm

serious roadblock. propa oldskool tear up

big respect to the labrynth crew 8)

bleepers bird
Regular
Regular
Location: Off with the fairies or somewhere in Essex - one or the other!

Post by bleepers bird » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:13 am

Absolutely love it! Loved the fact it was pretty much all old ravers from days gone past and not full of plastic ravers with attitude.

Met some safe people, had a blooming good dance, thought the tunes were good (though did hear the same tunes a few times) - all in all quite possibly the best rave iv been too in a long time.

back at work today and I feel, well...rather spaced out ;-)

strongforce

Post by strongforce » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:26 am

Traffic Cone wrote:but it was at least only a total anthemfest at the end.
Really?............i heard Bunter's set at the end was set of the night? Dont actually know the fella though (mate of a mate) so not sure if it would be to my taste.

To be honest, I quite liked the look of this but there were far to many anthem bashers on the line up for me. May attend the next one (if there is one) depending on the line up seen as this one got the thumbs up.

PS, what were the room splits like? Looked to be DnB in Arena 1, Oldskool in Arena 2 with House in Arena 3?..............or were there mixed sets in all diff arenas?

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:38 pm

i only caught the first 15 minutes or so and he played Hurt You So and Trumpton, but also a couple of other non-anthems. So possibly a mixed bag.

i was referring to Slipmatt who mostly played anthemy stuff, although even then mixed up with acapellas and so on.

when i got in there there was oldskool playing in both the main rooms, with house in the middle, so i think it was a bit of a mix.

strongforce

Post by strongforce » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:22 pm

Traffic Cone wrote:i only caught the first 15 minutes or so and he played Hurt You So and Trumpton
Oh rite.......doesnt really sound that good at all then but as expected.
Traffic Cone wrote:i was referring to Slipmatt who mostly played anthemy stuff
Also as expected along with Ratpack, Ellis Dee, Phantasy, Devious D, Squirrel, Krome & Time.

Only people I was after hearing were Pigbag & Influence. Did you manage to catch them?

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:02 pm

I think i saw Pigbag towards the beginning? To be honest I wasn't really going from a trainspotter point of view so I wasn't really checking who was playing :P

But i do reckon they got the balance right. Enough tracks people know to get the atmosphere from a big crowd, and enough less familiar tunes to stop it being too boring. I heard a few tunes I hadn't before which is always nice for an oldskool event.

Paul Zykotik
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Paul Zykotik » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:35 pm

Strongforce wrote:
Traffic Cone wrote:i only caught the first 15 minutes or so and he played Hurt You So and Trumpton
Oh rite.......doesnt really sound that good at all then but as expected.
That's a bit harsh...you've ignored the bit where he said "and a couple of non-anthems" ;) Which is about right I reckon...a good way of keeping the crowd interested but giving them something a bit different.

DFTRF5DF
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by DFTRF5DF » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:17 pm

Traffic Cone wrote:But i do reckon they got the balance right. Enough tracks people know to get the atmosphere from a big crowd, and enough less familiar tunes to stop it being too boring. I heard a few tunes I hadn't before which is always nice for an oldskool event.
yep i agree with that. they did get the balance right.

the place was so fuckin rammed from start to finish. and there was a lot of fit women there. all in all a good party!

strongforce

Post by strongforce » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:53 pm

Paul Zykotik wrote:"and a couple of non-anthems"
Yeh i guess so altho it all depends on what you class as non-anthems. I've heard pirate radio anthems that have been done to death as well that are called "non-anthems"..............doesnt have to be full on cheese to be a sameold.

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:16 pm

guess it all depends whether you can enjoy yourself and hear something you've heard before at the same time i guess :p

strongforce

Post by strongforce » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:22 pm

Traffic Cone wrote:depends whether you can enjoy yourself and hear something you've heard before
For sure................just so long as it's something the DJ has actually used some thought in selecting.