fbd project repress/bootleg?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
safe
The Messiah of the 21st Century

fbd project repress/bootleg?

Post by safe » Tue May 12, 2009 10:39 pm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FBD-Project-Termi ... 1|294%3A50

is this a repress or a bootleg or what? i just got a copy and it's completely mint.

fannypad

Re: fbd project repress/bootleg?

Post by fannypad » Tue May 12, 2009 10:59 pm

Looks like you've been bumped, his Ebay shop's full of those dodgy 4-track "Black Knights DJ Only" whites, along with that Foul Play Vol 2 bootleg: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FOUL-PLAY-VOLUME- ... m153.l1262

Probably all ripped from vinyl as well.

Adam Timeless

Post by Adam Timeless » Wed May 13, 2009 12:54 am

think i got one of these, its def a bootleg of that release and is quite a decent pressing if i remember rightly.

safe

Post by safe » Wed May 13, 2009 8:40 pm

i put it on my turntables and yep, it's a good pressing. still can't work out whether it's a repress or a really top quality bootleg, but i don't really care either way, to be honest.

oz
He never locked his car door

Post by oz » Thu May 14, 2009 10:46 am

Making money from bootlegging.

:-(

Doesn't seem right when you consider all the bother elusive and others have had trying to do it legitimately.

dwarde78
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by dwarde78 » Thu May 14, 2009 8:02 pm

Im sure a while back there was some planned official FBD represses coming, this was years back on DOA though

Adam Timeless

Post by Adam Timeless » Thu May 14, 2009 10:50 pm

neil trix went on DOA a few years back to ask if there was demand for a repress and what people would like to see, but nothing materialised.

smeagol
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by smeagol » Fri May 15, 2009 6:59 pm

pisses me off- making money on bvack of others work - tut

usol
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by usol » Fri May 15, 2009 8:29 pm

Just on general principle I can't condone bootlegging...

...but if you're desperate for a tune you'll give in eventually.

And BITD enough producers got stiffed on compos etc (myself included) by so-called respectable labels - so I'm sitting on the moral fence here...

safe

Post by safe » Fri May 15, 2009 9:00 pm

i've been waiting for a mint copy of this at a decent price for years, so i'm going to buy this bootleg (if it even is a bootleg). morally, i don't have too much of a problem with it if they're bootlegging something nobody is making any money from anyway. the only thing i find annoying is if it's a bootleg then they're trying to pass it off as an original -- it has the same tracks and catalogue number.

neiltrix
Regular
Regular

Post by neiltrix » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:03 pm

So maybe you will be happy if i take your wages when you get paid...

We struggled back in the day to get money from distributors and shops... when there was no internet to sell from.. and you say its ok for someone to bootleg... cheers mate. You obviously have no clue of why people like myself made music for the scene 20 yrs ago...

Enjoy your bootleg, its like wearing a dodgy lacoste t-shirt, your the only one who knows its a rip off.. and that make its feel worse !!!..

Just like the Vapour remix of the core that i did not even know about till someone called me.... absolute piss take...

Oh they joys of the music industry.. and i still work in it !! ha ha.

pete.devnull
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by pete.devnull » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:18 pm

I think a good way to counter this would be if you made the FBD project stuff for sale digitally.. preferably using a good digital distributor or even a site like bandcamp which ensures you get a higher cut of the profits. I know it's not anywhere near as nice as vinyl, but I bet people who either have never found the record(s) or who caved in and bought a bootleg would be happy to spend some more quid on digital copies if they knew the money was going direct to you. I know I'd buy it all even though I own a legit copy of "terminate" (at least based on the discogs description of the bootleg) and a possibly-bootleg-possibly-legit copy of "The core" (which I bought thinking was legit).
neiltrix wrote:So maybe you will be happy if i take your wages when you get paid...

We struggled back in the day to get money from distributors and shops... when there was no internet to sell from.. and you say its ok for someone to bootleg... cheers mate. You obviously have no clue of why people like myself made music for the scene 20 yrs ago...

Enjoy your bootleg, its like wearing a dodgy lacoste t-shirt, your the only one who knows its a rip off.. and that make its feel worse !!!..

Just like the Vapour remix of the core that i did not even know about till someone called me.... absolute piss take...

oz

Post by oz » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:53 pm

Vinyl Vibes bootlegged foul play, this and crimewatch ep.

Their ebay account is on their website.

will2003

Post by will2003 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:12 pm

neiltrix wrote:So maybe you will be happy if i take your wages when you get paid...

I'd be super keen to repress some of the FBD Project stuff on my label if you are ever keen to put out some of the back catalogue Neil?

Recoil
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Recoil » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:21 pm

oz wrote:Vinyl Vibes bootlegged foul play, this and crimewatch ep.

Their ebay account is on their website.

who are these people? I never understood... years back, when Jungle Warfare and all these other bootleggers were pumping out EP after EP of stolen tunes, selling them in stores all over North America and England.. I couldn't understand how they got away with it. I would have thought that sooner or later, one of the scores of people they ripped off would find out who they were, and catch up with them.