What's the moodiest rave/club you've been too?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
fannypad
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Re: What's the moodiest rave/club you've been too?

Post by fannypad » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:55 pm

Been to some proper dark squat parties around 2001-2002 when they got seriously nasty in London.

Remember a particularly grim one in an office block down some backwater road in Seven Sisters, we got there early with one of the sound system crew so there was hardly anyone there. As time went on we realised nobody's arriving apart from the usual crackhead crew... rig is pumping but there's literally noone on the dancefloor, just pockets of shady rotten cunts in clouds of crack smoke lurking at the edges of the room, in corridors, stairwells... basically anywhere that was dark.

As there were no "normal" victims to rob or terrorise everyone was slowly simmering into a rock induced paranoia frenzy. Come daylight we were sat on the back of a mate's van outside sniffing drugs when all of a sudden we see a massive swarm of yardies dash outside and start shouting shit at each other. A few seconds later a load of travellers came from round the corner and started squaring up to the yardies. Things were looking like they were going to pop off when lo and behold a big crew of fucking Triads comes out of nowhere, proper authentic looking oriental dudes in vests, bandanas, fuckloads of dragon tattoos and shit. It was like some shit out of Grand Theft Auto.

When I looked up again all I could see was a huge rumble with knives, a machete, spats of blood flying all over the shop... then a silver ford focus comes bombing up the drive, does a handbrake turn, half the yardies pile into it dragging some dude with claret all over him, and as quickly as it kicked off everyone scattered leaving only a few gloopy patches of blood on the floor.

We just looked at each other and creased. We were properly cooked on acid the whole time so thought maybe there was just a normal stabbing or something without any video game gangster shenanigans, but everyone else we spoke to saw the same thing.

One of the best nights out I've ever had.

Markymark
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Post by Markymark » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:16 pm

Gorp wrote:
markymark wrote:
Dan wrote:Liverpool.....no disrespect to any scousers but some right cranks got on there. Had to listen to 95 gabba tapes all the way there and back.
ive got a lot of family in liverpool, i didnt half hate any of the bastards i came across at raves though. the worst were the birkenhead lot for some reason. they ruined the last year of kinetic, walking around pissed up acting the the hard man all the time, kicking off. :gay: and yes, robbing people.....surprise surprise
Yer we had some issuues with a bunch of Scoucers at Hardcore Heaven at the Stevnage Ice Rink, a couple of my mates started to get some shit from them so they called the rest of us over and they soon fucked off.We always took 3 car loads of us to raves so we could hold our own if it came to it.
doesnt surprise me one bit that mate. ive even came across some at leeds festival years back causing trouble. apart from family in liverpool i am yet to come across anyone decent from there whilst on nights out

usol
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by usol » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:53 pm

Ironically, one of the nicest places I went to is the only time I've ever had bother. I had a chain taxed off me at Camden Palace. Cunts.

dan
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by dan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:13 am

Yer we had some issuues with a bunch of Scoucers at Hardcore Heaven at the Stevnage Ice Rink, a couple of my mates started to get some shit from them so they called the rest of us over and they soon fucked off.We always took 3 car loads of us to raves so we could hold our own if it came to it.[/quote]

doesnt surprise me one bit that mate. ive even came across some at leeds festival years back causing trouble. apart from family in liverpool i am yet to come across anyone decent from there whilst on nights out[/quote]

yes ive had similar experiences! i once went to 'a history of hardcore' at the sanctuary. it was old skool in the sanctuary and happy hardcore in the rollers. Lots of scousers kicking off left right and centre.

If my memory serves me right i think a good few of the djs didn't turn up and jason kay did a three hour set to compensate.

enfield_paul
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master
Location: Down the front, on the left by the speakers at the Ark

Post by enfield_paul » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:21 am

from Birkenhead? yeah I remember those.

chriselee
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by chriselee » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:20 pm

gorfuc wrote:For me it was Dance 91 Picketts lock (Edmonton)

On the way in you have to walk up some stairs and along a path, both sides were just full of moody geezers either offering drugs or just eyeballing you, during the night i was skinning up in the lobby and about 10 geezers smashed the glass recieption doors and just ran into the main room, also in the main room twice i saw a group of guys rush someone and steal all their gear and to top off the night i nearly got into a fight with some geezer because he wanted some money for petrol and i was'nt having any of it.(basically he did'nt need it and was just trying it on)

Anyway apart from all the moodyness it was a top night with Kevin Sauderson in the second room and 2 new yorkers. :)
M8,that night sounds like a serialistic nightmare.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:26 am

me & a few pals got talking to some scousers at 'hardcore til i die' (i only go for the oldskool room mind !) & they started chatting to us in the oldskool room as it happens about it 'going off with some lads' & would we 'have there back' !

they were sound with us mind you , but were talking about knives & such .... i quickly did the old 'im just going to the toilet' trick ! haha

shazzaspannered
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by shazzaspannered » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:13 pm

I think the worst one I ever went to was Life Utopia at Roller Express on Christmas Day I think it was 1993 or 1994.

Was fucking well moody. Me and my mate sat in the corner as we were proper scred to go anywhere without each other!!!!

Nits
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Nits » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:18 pm

For me it was without doubt the Wax club in Hackney, around 95. Fuckin well moody vibe the second you walked in. Andy C was tearing it up with some seriously dark jungle/d&b, for starters. Then there was the haze of crack smoke drifting out from the toilets, and some of the shadiest looking characters I ever saw.

I wasn't that bothered till some random cunt comes up to me trying to sell me a pill when I didn't want one. I told the twat I'd already dropped and was waiting to come up(when I hadn't), but he was persistent, and stupidly I said "ok, let's have a look at it" and put out my hand. Bad move :(

Now I can't give it back to him.

I look around, and all my mates are totally oblivious to what's been going on for the last 5 minutes and far enough away that they might just as well have been on the other side of the world.

No choice now but hand over 20 quid for some pill that could have been anything, and that I didn't even want in the first place! Sure I could have fronted it, but I wasn't ready to risk my life over it.

About two minutes later, me and me mates, wondering why they'd all suddenly been dragged out of the club by me, are making a B-line for the car, and that pill ended up in the drain by the curb.

To make matters worse, a mate gave me a pill, which in the state of mind I was in at the time was not a good idea. Of course I was coming up by the time we got to the Mc D's in Green Lanes, and for some reason got really freaked out (hmmm - clowns perhaps J3D? lol) there.

My memory after that is a bit hazy, but I think I left the car there, and we walked back the rest of the way to one of my mate's places which wasn't too far off.

That club/night almost put me off clubbing/raving for life, and for a long time I could never really relax in a club and enjoy it.

Didn't really matter much though since the scene had all but turned to shit back then anyway.

I remember hearing stories of guns being pulled outside Labyrinth, and people being mugged inside, and there were sometimes minor skirmishes when me and my mate used to play events/provide the sound and lighting at events in East London that were mainly attended by Asians - there were rumors of people turning up with pipes n baseball bats at other similar events.

Perhaps it was the hardcore we played back then in between the banghra DJ's. This was around 91, and we were caining tunes like Quadrophonia, Rebel Mc's Wickedest Sound, and X project etc, but we never saw any real trouble or moodiness in the early years.

Ahh the good times... shame it all had to end in such a mess :(

Adam Timeless

Post by Adam Timeless » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:41 pm

ah so thats what happened with T.C then?!?! I only went to the alldayer, didn't make it to the night time ones due to not wanting to be stranded in Canning Town late on a saturday night! I remember hearing they used to have a Fetish night there on the saturday :lol: they were good forum meet ups - T.C events not the fetish night!

surgery

Post by surgery » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:12 pm

Went to a club in 04/05 NY with a mate. A fight soon did start, was us oppose to a group of around ten people. club was packed and it all went intense.. Security threw us at some point when it continued outside. Then few people were in sudden over me, fell on ground and experienced kicks and knucklebusters everywhere. Stood up doing what could, when police came and i saw people and faces i could not later remember, quickly running away. I was uncalm to say the least, and confrontation with police quickly did start. Few law men did put me on ground, kicks were again the way to interract; then finally some old looking berserk police cunt leaned and said that would smash my skull if i move...

Euphoria
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Euphoria » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:01 pm

As a Labrynth regular I remember actually seeing people being mugged in the toilets week in week out by the same lot of geezers. Funny thing is, they used to nod at me and say hello when I used to see them, even if I was in the bogs alone (Cos me is a rudebwoy, seen lol).

Thinking back, crime was all around us but nothing ever happened inside a venue. Defo cos me and my mates bitd were all real tight and would have each others back, life or death!

krakp0t
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by krakp0t » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:29 pm

Mike Huckaby about to have a fight with promoter at Substance party, 1570 Woodward Ave, Detroit Fuse-In weekend 2005. Shortly thereafter, the generators broke and all went black. Certainly wasn't easy trying to find our way down from the 12th floor of an utterly derelict building, pilled up out of our heads. His set made it worth it though!

waard
Lurker
Lurker

Post by waard » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:42 pm

faceme wrote:Anyone go to the Voodoo Magic raves at Equinox? They were pretty moody. full of moody yardies.
Yeah i was at 2 of these events & they were moody.Also Orange @ Hippodrome was well moody,didnt really bother me when i was high as a kite though.

-=Marky G=-
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by -=Marky G=- » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:04 pm

Euphoria wrote:As a Labrynth regular I remember actually seeing people being mugged in the toilets week in week out by the same lot of geezers. Funny thing is, they used to nod at me and say hello when I used to see them, even if I was in the bogs alone (Cos me is a rudebwoy, seen lol).

Thinking back, crime was all around us but nothing ever happened inside a venue. Defo cos me and my mates bitd were all real tight and would have each others back, life or death!
cant say i can remember anyone getting mugged at Labrynth in all the time i went there between 91 & 94, i would agree it got quite moody towards the end when it all went jungleistic and filling with bad bwoys, mind you like you say, if you where a regular and your face was known you where pretty safe in the house.