do you agree with Cox here?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Re: do you agree with Cox here?

Post by RonWellsJS » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:24 pm

Restless wrote: D&B only started around '97. So it's hard to say it was dead by '98!
I would say between 94 and 95, we were using that term then.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:51 pm

D&B - Warhead, 26 Bass, Autumn.

Pulp Fiction is definitely Jungle. It's too slow to be D&B.

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:17 pm

Restless wrote: What is the Hardcore scene like right now? The last boom, IMO, was in 2005 (amazing times), but then it fizzled out.

Is it still healthy but underground? Or is it completely done?
from what i've heard, based on people on my Facebook who are still into it, it seems to have dropped down a bit in size but some of the big raves are starting to book a whole load of new names. although i'm sure some of the usual suspects are still hanging on. and it's more international now - US and Japan in particular.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:08 pm

Bit late for that now.

I remember a DJ called "Fracus" who was making waves around 2005... Back room/warm up job until he blew up a few years ago.

Jungle was just as bad for an age, too. But Dj's like Finn, Kenny Ken, Jack Frost etc got replaced by the Frictions, Andy C's as the headliners. That still really hasn't happened in the hardcore scene.

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:22 pm

Restless wrote:Bit late for that now.

I remember a DJ called "Fracus" who was making waves around 2005... Back room/warm up job until he blew up a few years ago.

Jungle was just as bad for an age, too. But Dj's like Finn, Kenny Ken, Jack Frost etc got replaced by the Frictions, Andy C's as the headliners. That still really hasn't happened in the hardcore scene.
it kind of is now. yesterday i saw the lineup for HTID NYE 2015 - the only names on it that were 90s big names are Hixxy and Marc Smith (and even Marc Smith that was mostly just Scotland). quite a few others that I've not heard of.

DJ Chance
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by DJ Chance » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:20 pm

RonWellsJS wrote:
Restless wrote: D&B only started around '97. So it's hard to say it was dead by '98!
I would say between 94 and 95, we were using that term then.
I agree. Would say even a touch earlier. The first time I heard it used was in a Bukem set. May have even been late 93 (When things like Roni Size and Die - Music Box came around)

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:32 pm

Traffic Cone wrote:

it kind of is now. yesterday i saw the lineup for HTID NYE 2015 - the only names on it that were 90s big names are Hixxy and Marc Smith (and even Marc Smith that was mostly just Scotland). quite a few others that I've not heard of.
In fairness the HTID line-ups from what I've seen are way "out there" now.

DFTRF5DF
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by DFTRF5DF » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:23 am

Restless wrote:Pulp Fiction is definitely Jungle. It's too slow to be D&B.
congratulations on quite possibly the most ridiculous comment that I have ever read on this forum

ian saunders remix
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by ian saunders remix » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:08 am

Restless wrote:
Traffic Cone wrote:

In fairness the HTID line-ups from what I've seen are way "out there" now.
Probably because, first Hixxy, then DJ Uplift (who were the main bookers of artists for the events) have both left HTID. There's a new guy booking people who isn't too arsed about scene politics IIRC

dial1
Regular
Regular

Post by dial1 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:47 am

dj jedi wrote:I can think of a few other non-white happy hardcore DJs/producers/MCs too - DJ Kaos, MC Storm, Paul Elstak, MC Freestyle, MC Ruff.

As TC mentions certain individuals like Hixxy, Darren Styles, Dougal, all made a hell of a lot of money out of it, arguably more than most D&B producers or DJs did. They were successful because they weren't just DJs or small time producers, they had album deals all around the world, and before the digital age that's where the big money was.

In my opinion their mistake was greed, the scene became stale because they did not allow any up and coming DJs or producers into their elite group. Perhaps more so than any other scene, HHC has a massive divide between the few that made a lot of money and the vast majority that made nothing, even though most people probably assumed they were successful because they DJ'd or put out some records. Most of the big names from the 90s HHC scene now lead very modest lives, have gone on to other styles (eg Trixxy) or have nothing to do with music at all.
Hahaha I didn't know that MC Storm is not white, are you serious? I always took him for a cockney geezer.

I always took Austren Reynolds to not be white. But I was mistaken.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:01 am

DFTRF5DF wrote:
Restless wrote:Pulp Fiction is definitely Jungle. It's too slow to be D&B.
congratulations on quite possibly the most ridiculous comment that I have ever read on this forum
Day's the man who writes "Good Burger" in nigh-on every reply.

Well the change in tempo is what separates the two for me.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:04 am

ian saunders remix wrote:Probably because, first Hixxy, then DJ Uplift (who were the main bookers of artists for the events) have both left HTID. There's a new guy booking people who isn't too arsed about scene politics IIRC
How come Hixxy left HTID? Spill the goss! Hehe.

Hixxy had a share in that brand though, right? Who runs it now? The line-up's do look fresh now it's in different hands I must say.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:40 am

HTID was Hixxy's brand/concept to start with, there was an album in about 2004 and their very first event was at Enzo's in Salisbury, where Adrenalin used to be held in the 90s. I don't know the exact details but Mark Lambert got involved in 2005ish, and they ran it together for several years at least. I guess Hixxy must have sold his stake.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:43 am

dial1 wrote:Hahaha I didn't know that MC Storm is not white, are you serious? I always took him for a cockney geezer.I always took Austren Reynolds to not be white. But I was mistaken.
Here you go:

He's from Peterborough!

ian saunders remix
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by ian saunders remix » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:12 pm

He's a bellend too.

On HTID, I think Hixxy just sold his share to Mark Lambert. He gets booked to play, but that's about it.