Topic-icon The prodigy? Liam Howlett has attitude problem ?

• Coolbreeze
  • Coolbreeze's Avatar Topic Author
  • Regular
  • Regular
More
09 Sep 2017 03:02 #1 by Coolbreeze
Coolbreeze created the topic: The prodigy? Liam Howlett has attitude problem ?
Well I hear the prodigy are working on a new ep or maybe album but doubt we will see that before 2020! I feel the prodigy are a total let down tbh in recent years, so cutting edge when they first released the prodigy experience album in 1992 and there gilted generation in 1994, one big hit or maybe two in 1996 was it, Firestarter and breath made no 1. Do I recall? Have you read some of the interviews, so funny when he says things like The dance music got so corrupted by 1994 well yeah but didn't they corrupted them selves by going from techno wizards to techno punks to celebrity clowns? The last three albums were piss poor imo. I was like watching an old 1997 video and thought did I really like this shite, a band that looked like dirty scum. I loved the early years yeah but anything after firestarter was down hill from there on! They were saying they are going to release new tunes this year and a film about them, is there any sign it happening? Doubt it years nearly over! What you think, I don't mean to slag them down I mean they are the status quo of electronica and have done something successful but to me the early stuff will always be in my heart but feel the latter stuff has ruined it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2017 07:21 #2 by Ian Saunders
Ian Saunders replied the topic: The prodigy? Liam Howlett has attitude problem ?
It happens with pretty much all musicians - they have their time, run out of ideas, and then it's a case of diminishing returns until their career ends.
The Fat of the Land represents the last time their music was fresh.

More
09 Sep 2017 13:43 #3 by electric tribe
electric tribe replied the topic: The prodigy? Liam Howlett has attitude problem ?
It all went wrong when Keith decided he should be a lead singer in a bad punk band rather than simply being a dancer.

More
09 Sep 2017 14:34 #4 by Bernie Teeth
Bernie Teeth replied the topic: The prodigy? Liam Howlett has attitude problem ?
Without doubt the best band in the history of dance music. They were never going to stay full on rave. There aren't many artists out there ( including non dance music artists) where I can turn round and reel off 30 tunes of theirs that are absolute bangers

• EleveneezerGoode
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Sep 2017 18:11 #5 by EleveneezerGoode
EleveneezerGoode replied the topic: The prodigy? Liam Howlett has attitude problem ?
The Prodigy were good until the end of 1992. After that, they were pure flaming shit, with their arena beats and "Question ---> Answer" style workaday pop music. I'd be embarrassed to blast their post-1992 stuff out while driving.

It wasn't Keith's or anyone else's idea imo. It was their management rubbing thumb against index finger and the lads being utter whores for money. What fucks me off is that Music For The Jilted Generation was so shit it wasn't even worth the space it took up on a copied cassette, and the title as well. We all felt jilted that rave music was kept out. My generation in particular because we were too young to even see any real raves. So along comes this album claiming to remedy all that, but all it did was jilt us even further with its shit arena beat punky pop bastard cunt fuckery bastard question-answer shit!

• Coolbreeze
  • Regular
  • Regular
More
09 Sep 2017 19:14 #6 by Coolbreeze
Coolbreeze replied the topic: The prodigy? Liam Howlett has attitude problem ?
I discovered the prodigy in 1992, a girl i dated for a week when 13, went round my friends for a chat and he brought out a big box of cds and she picked out, out of space by the prodigy, played it thought it was wicked, from that day I was hooked, it's all her bloody fault! They say women or girls can be a bad influence lol. Maybe I should grow up and just quit listening to rave music or tempting to produce it. Most my friends did grow out of it.

More
09 Sep 2017 21:24 - 09 Sep 2017 21:26 #7 by dj jedi
dj jedi replied the topic: The prodigy? Liam Howlett has attitude problem ?
I'm inclined to mostly agree with Eleveneezer. Lots of people think Jilted and Fat of the Land are better or at least as good as Experience. Neither are a patch on it IMO. I also don't like the way they are trying to disown their first album. I've seen The Prodigy three times - the first time they played a few Experience songs. The second time they only played one (ended on Out of Space.) The third time last year, they played none. I won't bother again.
Last Edit: 09 Sep 2017 21:26 by dj jedi.

• Coolbreeze
  • Regular
  • Regular
More
09 Sep 2017 22:43 #8 by Coolbreeze
Is it because experience was a novelty and first, what if gilted was first, would we thought that was the best of all? I don't know. Think most bands and musicians have a first hit record or album then they slowly decline every time because they can't innovate every time. Think Liam h was a genius, but got lazy through getting too much money I reckon. Just seem a mediocre band now and got his money fame through saying shit through certain dance magazines.

More
10 Sep 2017 09:09 - 10 Sep 2017 09:11 #9 by stringz
stringz replied the topic: The prodigy? Liam Howlett has attitude problem ?
I think you're being harsh on Jilted Generation. I don't know what they could have done for their second album that would have been acceptable to you. Rave (in that original form) was pretty much dead. They weren't junglists and they weren't happy hardcore. At that point they were probably more alligned to a techno aesthetic (and saw the free party movement as upholders of the Rave ideal) but were still breakbeat heads. Jilted Generation to me sounds like the perfect logical progression for The Prodigy at that moment in time. no other group made famous by the rave scene survived the split. The only other group that springs to mind is 808 State but they were 88 four-four rave not that small window of 91-92 hardcore rave. I personally much prefer the sound of Experience, but it's not a unified album in the sense that JG is. I think JG is impressive, they managed to stay tuff, stay breakbeat, whilst still sounding like they came from rave and also stay relevant. The less said about what happened after this the better.
Last Edit: 10 Sep 2017 09:11 by stringz.

• Coolbreeze
  • Regular
  • Regular
More
10 Sep 2017 10:29 #10 by Coolbreeze
When I first heard jilted I didn't really like it at first, it was more bulkier sound, repetitive and more commercial, think it's an album that grew on me over the years, people over years were saying how great it was and thought to myself well not bad but they must of done something right there! I think with other rave producers didn't just die out, think they just left the scene because they didn't like the direction it was going.

• EleveneezerGoode
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Sep 2017 21:37 #11 by EleveneezerGoode
EleveneezerGoode replied the topic: The prodigy? Liam Howlett has attitude problem ?
Sigh, this is the "glass ceiling" they talk about: you can like dance music, as long as you don't criticise the Prodigy post-1992, it never goes well on a forum (done it before).

The Jilted Generation is bad, not because it came later, but because it was (like Dubstep) music to do school homework by, music for office admins, music for bankers and wankers.

UK Garage ('97 onward) was music for gyms and manual workers.

Yes, Jilted Generation was a progression, but only in the sense of going from being euphoric and mystified ... to sticking a fork in one's bum, tweeting about it, and getting bodyshamed for it.

Hardcore is forever. Alright that's not strictly true, according to Vsauce there's a finite amount of possible 5 minute songs, but we won't reach that limit anytime soon.

• Coolbreeze
  • Regular
  • Regular
More
10 Sep 2017 21:56 #12 by Coolbreeze
Yeah think I've seen that video before. The way I look at it is there are hearing tests on YouTube. The frequency range is 20hz to 20,000hz of humans, not everyone can hear the lowest or the highest depending on your ears and age. If you listen to that you've heard every microtone your ears can hear and there isn't much to It really. Sounds and music are just millions of combinations of them microtones or frequencies. Think by a certain age you've heard everything musically, that's why most people after 21 grow out of it or think it's shit. It's no longer a novelty. Dogs and cats can hear way above us 160,000hz range I think. To invent new music we'd need an ear piece technology gizmo or hearing aid of the future to extend our hearing range to discover new frequencies! Lol. Just a thought.

• EleveneezerGoode
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Sep 2017 22:11 #13 by EleveneezerGoode
Thing about techno rave was: it wasn't just about tones / melodies. It was also the sounds themselves, the timbres. Also the collusion between sounds and melodies. Fair do, we haven't had any new synth sounds in yonks, but those ravey stabs and pads can have huge numbers of variations and they all sound good.

After 1992, it was scaled down - melodies became frozen into question-answer / 3-note cycles (which in itself can be a good thing), and the synth sounds themselves went from being intriguing hybrid chordlike stabs and pads, to being boring pure tones (pure tones can be a good thing too, like in bleep techno).

The forced downsizing and the combination of limited melodic styles and limited synth sounds ... represents a degeneration of style to me. Seems a bit anal as well, whereas techno rave was about putting out as much ear candy as possible to get as high as possible like there's no tomorrow. Who knows when the world's going to end? Therefore i think rave music should come back instead of all the degenerate anal retentive styles that followed.

• Coolbreeze
  • Regular
  • Regular
More
10 Sep 2017 22:50 #14 by Coolbreeze
Isn't a synth sound or stab sound about 1sec long bunch of frequencies, you got square, sawtooth, triangle and sinewave just repeated in multiple tones to create that juicey techno sound. How many combinations of sounds could you get out of a 1sec sound within the 20hz to 20,000hz range?

• EleveneezerGoode
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Sep 2017 23:12 #15 by EleveneezerGoode
[Reply to your earlier post] Yeah i'd like to invent a new genre, but it's going to have to be good, not a corporate chimaera like Dub Clown or Jazz Step or whatever. Frankly l'm stmped.

So anyway, you hit the core issue about the timbres themselves. What makes a rave stab good? Frankly l think something weird was going in Roland Corp in the 1980s, maybe with Korg and Yamaha too, but nothing like Roland Corp. It's like they had mastered some alien technology.

With rave stabs, the timbres (sounds) themselves seem to have some kind of psychedelic effect. Greater than the sum of their individual parts. Like how consciousness is more than just a bunch of neurones synapsing onto each other / more than just a load of simultaneous waves. It's an holistic effect arising from the interaction, like a half dimension arising from interference patterns, and it becomes filled with a kind of soul-like energy. Hoover and Anasthasia stab are prime examples but there's also pads, like in Black Dog - Vir2L (random example).

Moderators: dj jedi
Time to create page: 0.775 seconds