Topic-icon Which oldskool records were Rare in YOUR TOWN back in the day?

More
02 Dec 2016 12:35 #1 by nekro
nekro created the topic: Which oldskool records were Rare in YOUR TOWN back in the day?
Before the internet existed there were different records that were regarded as rare and extremely sought after in different areas - perhaps because a local DJ used to spin them or because someone had managed to identify them from a mixtape.
here are some that I remember were holy grails back in around 1994/95 -

DJ Excel - Just When You Thought It was Safe
The Invisible Man - The End
99 Red Baloons
The Snowball
4AM
Trip II The Moon (all parts)

all of the above would command £20+ which was a lot of money back then. This was my experience when speaking with people at record shops in the Sutton/Kingston/Croydon area.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2016 17:32 #2 by Heikki Harmaa
Heikki Harmaa replied the topic: Which oldskool records were Rare in YOUR TOWN back in the day?
Everything was rare in Turku/Finland except The Prodigy, Baby D and SL2. :)

More
28 Dec 2016 23:47 #3 by Ian Saunders
Ian Saunders replied the topic: Which oldskool records were Rare in YOUR TOWN back in the day?
I can imagine :D All I know of Finnish music is the Sahko / Panasonic / Jimi Tenor stuff (as well as Nervous+Anxious on the Hardcore breaks tip).

That and Bill Drummond's(from The KLF) album full of pretend Finnish artists on the pretend Kalavela label :D

More
29 Dec 2016 00:00 #4 by Richruffcut
Richruffcut replied the topic: Which oldskool records were Rare in YOUR TOWN back in the day?
Anything hardcore! I lived out in the sticks

More
29 Dec 2016 20:46 #5 by Heikki Harmaa
Heikki Harmaa replied the topic: Which oldskool records were Rare in YOUR TOWN back in the day?
Yes. Techno, house, and the occasional ambient and dnb artists is Finland's contribution to electronic music - and my 'homeboy' Darude.

Luckily internet came soon after and opened a few windows - especially when buying vinyl. :)

More
05 Jan 2017 18:50 #6 by Traffic Cone
Traffic Cone replied the topic: Which oldskool records were Rare in YOUR TOWN back in the day?
plus Proteus, surely...and on a more obscure tip the Finrg / finnish freeform (admittedly a pretty niche subgenre but that's at least one sound i would say is genuinely Finnish!)

back on topic - I certainly remember even in the earlier days of the internet it was crazy how much a lot of imports could go for - tunes that were literally in bargain bins in Holland, italy or Spain, you could sell for decent money to people in the UK.

so i can only imagine in the 90s...although would the fact it was harder to find out what tunes were called, not balance that out?

Moderators: dj jedi
Time to create page: 0.398 seconds