Topic-icon Besides Oldskool/Hardcore, what other genres do you buy?

• Restless1
  • Restless1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Regular
  • Regular
More
09 Oct 2016 10:00 #1 by Restless1
Restless1 created the topic: Besides Oldskool/Hardcore, what other genres do you buy?
My record collection has about 10+ different genres running through it, and I've always played by season (Breaks/D&B in the winter, Uplifting stuff in the summer). However, I'm just in a breakbeat-related phase at the mo, so anything bought will be breaks-related.

I've got a few 00's Breaks wants on my Discogs wants list that I have to buy any day now, and there's a few '91'-'92 bits that I need to get as well.

Besides them and a few new scratch records I won't be buying anything else from a different genre.

Do you buy anything other than Rave music? If so, what do you buy, and what's the purpose of buying it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2016 16:37 #2 by electric tribe
electric tribe replied the topic: Besides Oldskool/Hardcore, what other genres do you buy?
Buy a lot of different styles. For no purpose other than i enjoy them, always finding new/old music.

Generally buy Acid house, oldskool, 93-95 jungle, tech step, acid trance, techno, reggae, 60/70's rock, grunge and rock, a bit of electro and hip hop (although have been slowly selling this off), movie soundtracks and classical.

More
13 Oct 2016 11:13 #3 by Traffic Cone
Traffic Cone replied the topic: Besides Oldskool/Hardcore, what other genres do you buy?
I used to buy 93 hardcore and 94 jungle, and still have some, but it's too expensive these days. I also used to buy new hardcore techno until about 3 or 4 years ago, and also a lot of breakcore too. The trouble with that stuff is - you could build really interesting sets, because it's a very varied style of music. But at the same time it also meant you'd have these tunes that you could only mix with about 2 other records :/ Plus I had quite a few tunes that I really loved but weren't really that fun to mix.

I also used to buy a lot of old gabba of various types - but I've sold off a lot of the slower and faster stuff. Some of that stuff is among my absolute favourite music, but I don't have the money or space to collect everything I love, music wise - so I have to compromise.

So these days I try to restrict myself to the stuff that's fun to mix casually, that I can buy quite cheap, and that goes with a lot of what I have already. These days that means - happy hardcore, bouncy techno, and more recently also some oldskool hardtrance. And my most recent love, makina.

It doesn't reflect my full range of taste - but i have them for mixing, which is why i'd rather have a few styles well represented than have a few of everything.

More
13 Oct 2016 14:45 #4 by dj jedi
dj jedi replied the topic: Besides Oldskool/Hardcore, what other genres do you buy?
I've actually thinned mine out recently. I used to have fairly healthy 80s/90s hip-hop, 80s/90s house/trance, 90s hardcore, and 90s drum & bass collections. But I never play any of those genres so I recently sold all but my 20 or so absolute favourites of each to free up more space for hardcore and jungle.

More
13 Oct 2016 15:13 #5 by Yudaidhun
Yudaidhun replied the topic: Besides Oldskool/Hardcore, what other genres do you buy?
I'm collecting early Hard Trance recently.
Didn't even know this genre until I found few songs from the compilation CD.
In my country, while most Oldskool Rave & Hardcore are still played from time to time, no one plays Hard Trance.
It's something like Atlantis for me.

More
24 Oct 2016 18:48 #6 by Dreamweave1
Dreamweave1 replied the topic: Besides Oldskool/Hardcore, what other genres do you buy?
Used to only buy DnB and Hardcore but recently been buying all sorts from 70's and 80's classics. Haven't bought as much hardcore recently as record prices are quite expensive. Also been buying the late night tales albums and classic Hardstyle. Want to get down the record fair in Bridport, Dorset, I miss proper record shopping rather than buying off the internet.

More
27 Oct 2016 13:36 #7 by Sparki
Sparki replied the topic: Besides Oldskool/Hardcore, what other genres do you buy?
Jungle, DnB, happy hardcore, trance, hard house, old skool house, 4x4 garage, speed garage

More
28 Oct 2016 14:20 #8 by LOON-E
LOON-E replied the topic: Besides Oldskool/Hardcore, what other genres do you buy?
Dont really buy much of anything other than what i play...but been getting back in too my ska/Psychobilly/Rock/Punk/2Tone :)

LOON-E

• alphawave ep AKA DJ Mark C
  • Regular
  • Regular
More
04 Nov 2016 18:38 #9 by alphawave ep AKA DJ Mark C
alphawave ep AKA DJ Mark C replied the topic: Besides Oldskool/Hardcore, what other genres do you buy?
Very fond of buying 91/92 hip hop records....

More
17 Nov 2016 22:40 #10 by Mr Hint
Mr Hint replied the topic: Besides Oldskool/Hardcore, what other genres do you buy?
mainly hardcore, but also heavily into oldschool hip hop 81- 90, also 70's funk and breaks

More
21 Nov 2016 13:12 #11 by ske
ske replied the topic: Besides Oldskool/Hardcore, what other genres do you buy?
Liquid dnb, new and old deep house, acid house, original soul funk, rare groove. Still lots of voids to fill in all genres and some Im still discovering :)

More
30 Nov 2016 18:39 #12 by Ian Saunders
Ian Saunders replied the topic: Besides Oldskool/Hardcore, what other genres do you buy?
I don't buy a lot, but I am slowly buying a mixture of soul/funk and Balearic type things...new wave, synth pop

Stuff like this

Tulli0 De Piscopo - Stop Bajon

More
28 Dec 2016 17:50 #13 by Heikki Harmaa
Heikki Harmaa replied the topic: Besides Oldskool/Hardcore, what other genres do you buy?
Everything and anything, really.

Krautrock and progressive from the 70s, punk, post punk, new wave, 60s garage rock and psychedelia, folk, blues, jazz (mainly 1950s-70s modern), soul (especially northern and popcorn 7"), iskelmä (that's Finnish schlager pop, from 1950s to early 80s is my sound), ska, skinhead reggae and oldschool hiphop to name a few genres.

In winter it's most likely cool jazz and jazzy iskelmä like this recent 7" of mine:

More
28 Dec 2016 23:43 - 28 Dec 2016 23:44 #14 by Ian Saunders
Ian Saunders replied the topic: Besides Oldskool/Hardcore, what other genres do you buy?
I really like that, any more recommendations? I'm also starting to buy new wave synth pop. Stuff like:

Eleven Pond - Watching Trees

Units - High Pressure Days

Makers - Don't Challenge Me ( I like this one because it sounds like the kind of thing R2-D2 would put on in the background while he romanced a lady robot)
Last Edit: 28 Dec 2016 23:44 by Ian Saunders.

More
29 Dec 2016 20:56 #15 by Heikki Harmaa
Heikki Harmaa replied the topic: Besides Oldskool/Hardcore, what other genres do you buy?
A bit obvious, maybe, but certainly worth a mention when talking about new wave. And these guys were certainly ahead of their time:

Moderators: dj jedi
Time to create page: 1.972 seconds