Amiga turns 30

Off topic, keep it clean and legal!
Fizza
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Amiga turns 30

Post by Fizza » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:10 am

I feel I have to post this in this forum rather than an Amiga one for two reasons; first is that I think it's an important anniversary worth noting in a wider sense, and second is that although other retro computer forums are where I think most would be posting their thoughts and memories, for me the greatest thing about the Amiga was, among many other things, the ability to sample and play back four channels of 8bit sound, specifically using OctaMED.

I recall, as a teenager not that long out of school, getting the Turbosound 2 cartridge from a computer fair at Alexandra Palace back in '90 and looping funky drummer for the first time, and then overlaying another beat using it, I can't remember the other beat lol (probably another track off of this), but I do remember being really amazed thinking of the possibilities and the quality compared to the (even more) crunchy 4bit 2 second samples I had been able to grab using the Datel Sampler for my C64. Even my mum was impressed lol.

It wasn't long after that I got introduced to ProTracker, and although that was cool, at that time it lacked the feature to set the bpm. Eventually I ended up with OctaMED 3 from a CU Amiga coverdisk and then it grew from there.. So while I always had the ambition to make music using a computer with samples etc.. it really was the Amiga that made that a reality.

So, if anyone likes the stuff made by Bizzy B, Aphrodite, Foul Play, Slammin' Vinyl and a few others, then take a moment at this point to recognize the computer that made it possible.. :cool: =D> =D>
Last edited by Fizza on Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ric
He never locked his car door

Re: Amiga turns 30

Post by Ric » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:17 am

Awesome machine. I couldn't wait to own one! Only ventured into protracker briefly... Wish I'd ventured further but there you go..

MikeW

Re: Amiga turns 30

Post by MikeW » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:38 pm

Fizza wrote:I feel I have to post this in this forum rather than an Amiga one for two reasons; first is that I think it's an important anniversary worth noting in a wider sense, and second is that although other retro computer forums are where I think most would be posting their thoughts and memories, for me the greatest thing about the Amiga was, among many other things, the ability to sample and play back four channels of 8bit sound, specifically using OctaMED.

I recall, as a teenager not that long out of school, getting the Turbosound 2 cartridge from a computer fair at Alexandra Palace back in '90 and looping funky drummer for the first time, and then overlaying another beat using it, I can't remember the other beat lol (probably another track off of this), but I do remember being really amazed thinking of the possibilities and the quality compared to the (even more) crunchy 4bit 2 second samples I had been able to grab using the Datel Sampler for my C64. Even my mum was impressed lol.

It wasn't long after that I got introduced to ProTracker, and although that was cool, at that time it lacked the feature to set the bpm. Eventually I ended up with OctaMED 3 from a CU Amiga coverdisk and then it grew from there.. So while I always had the ambition to make music using a computer with samples etc.. it really was the Amiga that made that a reality.

So, if anyone likes the stuff made by Bizzy B, Aphrodite, Foul Play, Slammin' Vinyl and a few others, then take a moment at this point to recognize the computer that made it possible.. :cool: =D> =D>
Great post! My introduction to making music was very similar indeed, with an Amiga 500+ which my poor parents had to save up for to buy me, bless them, and a stereomaster sampling cartridge, and Octamed 3 probably from the same coverdisk as you.

I recently resurrected an Amiga 1200 I bought off ebay years ago and have added a compact flash card as a hard drive for some old skool gaming & demo action. Even been looking through my old sample discs which still all seem to work after 20+ years!