I want an argument :)

Off topic, keep it clean and legal!
leonized
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

I want an argument :)

Post by leonized » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:57 pm

Someone tell me if this is recorded in Stereo or Mono...

http://www.mediafire.com/download/hdl28 ... _(wav).rar
Last edited by leonized on Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

tha liquid
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Re: I want an argument :)

Post by tha liquid » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:40 am

It keeps popping up bullshit on my screen before nagging me to acept a load of permissions i'm not happy to allow it to use.

I'll give you an answer to your question, but upload it somewhere less dodgy.

:shock:

Peace...

leonized
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by leonized » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:42 am

I don't really want an argument, I just wanted to make sure my rips were done correctly considering i'm using an RCA to Phono jack from my mixer into the microphone socket of my laptop... They sound perfect to me, both channels...

I've changed the link to Mediafire if that's better :)

tha liquid

Post by tha liquid » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:21 am

This doesn't sound like proper stereo. But it's not mono either. It's hard to make a comparison without hearing what it should sound like in the first place, but it sounds more mono than stereo. It sounds like it's slightly in stereo, but not much. Why are you using a microphone socket, you won't record at full quality that way? It's a dirty way of sampling.

I know laptops pre 1998-2000 usually had a line in and a line out socket(like my old Dell laptops used to have. Modern laptops only have mic and headphone sockets. Because of that this is what I use for sampling:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-70SB10 ... s=Creative

You can sample at up to 96Khz in 24bit which is ideal for analogue stuff like vinyl, and then convert it down to 44 or 48Khz 16bit afterwards(which gives better quality sound than if you just sampled at the lower rate to begin with). The signal to noise ratio is very low.

I can see what you're trying to do though, but if you want to sample properly with a laptop then you need a proper sound card like the above. If you buy a sound card then don't fall into the trap of those really cheap ones you see on Amazon etc. They only have speaker out and mic in ports.

:)

Peace...

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons
Location: Bat Beat Vol 2 - It's Still Here!!!! (as are a few copies of Vol 1)

Post by renegadegenius » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:11 pm

Invert one channel & paste it over the other (as a mix paste).
What's left over are the non mono parts ;)

At work at mo, so not tested the file myself yet.

leonized
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by leonized » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:44 pm

I bought a Creative Sound Blaster about 10 years ago?? & it was fine for a while but then it started glitching & I had to keep re-recording the tracks until it was sorted (I didn't know about Audacity back then as I used the software provided with it), when it was buggering up every track I stopped using it & stopped ripping my vinyl too.
I bought the RCA to Phono cable to use from my laptop into the mixer which went into my Technics 1K amp for listening to stuff off the laptop proper loud :) also to nick vocal samples from the TV to use in tracks I was making/to make.
Since moving in with my missus I now have a dedicated 'music room' so I set my decks & stereo equipment up for the purpose of doing some mixes... But as i'm only a crappy bedroom DJ I haven't got round to mixing anything & thought it would be more constructive to rip my vinyl collection to wavs.

As for the way I record the vinyl... RCA from the mixer to the mic input on my laptop & use Audacity to record it.
In Audacity it shows 2 channels as it's ripping & I can clearly see that some pops/crackles in the wave form are on different channels & also on both (for the bigger pops).
After the track has finished I trim the silence from the end & beginning of the track then click on 'Audio Track' in Audacity then 'Split Stereo Track' & that turns the top channel into Left & the bottom channel into Right, then I remove the pops & clicks that i've jotted down the times for, highlight the left channel then amplify it to -0.1DB & then do the same with the right channel (as they have different levels, the left is normally quieter) & that is the track ripped then I tag it.

Track B2 - Don't Do It (Remix) whilst listening through headphones I can clearly hear parts where the high hats are kept to the right channel & the vocal is kept to the left & not the same on both channels... Surely that means that it's been recorded in stereo??

Aaaanywho's... I've ripped & cleaned about 800 records this way so far & I won't be ripping & cleaning them again even if I do buy another Creative Sound Blaster... It's months/years of hard work gone into those little ripped beauties!

To me they sound ok & i've played some of the wavs on my Technics amp & Jamo speakers at parties & a couple of pub gigs I've had in the past & they don't distort at full volume & sound fannytastic :)

tha liquid

Post by tha liquid » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:29 pm

leonized wrote:I bought a Creative Sound Blaster about 10 years ago?? & it was fine for a while but then it started glitching & I had to keep re-recording the tracks until it was sorted (I didn't know about Audacity back then as I used the software provided with it), when it was buggering up every track I stopped using it & stopped ripping my vinyl too.
I bought the RCA to Phono cable to use from my laptop into the mixer which went into my Technics 1K amp for listening to stuff off the laptop proper loud :) also to nick vocal samples from the TV to use in tracks I was making/to make.
Since moving in with my missus I now have a dedicated 'music room' so I set my decks & stereo equipment up for the purpose of doing some mixes... But as i'm only a crappy bedroom DJ I haven't got round to mixing anything & thought it would be more constructive to rip my vinyl collection to wavs.

As for the way I record the vinyl... RCA from the mixer to the mic input on my laptop & use Audacity to record it.
In Audacity it shows 2 channels as it's ripping & I can clearly see that some pops/crackles in the wave form are on different channels & also on both (for the bigger pops).
After the track has finished I trim the silence from the end & beginning of the track then click on 'Audio Track' in Audacity then 'Split Stereo Track' & that turns the top channel into Left & the bottom channel into Right, then I remove the pops & clicks that i've jotted down the times for, highlight the left channel then amplify it to -0.1DB & then do the same with the right channel (as they have different levels, the left is normally quieter) & that is the track ripped then I tag it.

Track B2 - Don't Do It (Remix) whilst listening through headphones I can clearly hear parts where the high hats are kept to the right channel & the vocal is kept to the left & not the same on both channels... Surely that means that it's been recorded in stereo??

Aaaanywho's... I've ripped & cleaned about 800 records this way so far & I won't be ripping & cleaning them again even if I do buy another Creative Sound Blaster... It's months/years of hard work gone into those little ripped beauties!

To me they sound ok & i've played some of the wavs on my Technics amp & Jamo speakers at parties & a couple of pub gigs I've had in the past & they don't distort at full volume & sound fannytastic :)
Your problems sound software related. As commercial as Soundblasters are, they are actually pretty decent. I've never used the software that comes with it though(except the drivers). Like yourself I use/d Audigy & Cooledit Pro etc for the sampling side of things. I've never had a faulty soundblaster since the SB 16 circa '94-'96. You probably got unlucky.

:)

Peace...