Bank Help!

Off topic, keep it clean and legal!
tdo
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Bank Help!

Post by tdo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:54 pm

I had an account with Natwest - which I thought had been closed in march however after receiving an e-mail today saying there was a problem with my account - I went to see if I could still log on with my details, and i can.

To my horror I have just under 1K in "unarranged OD fee" they have been taking an amount out each month but I have NEVER had an letters or anything about this.

Is there anything I can do? This couldn't have come at a worse time money wise :(

safe
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Re: Bank Help!

Post by safe » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:00 pm

i work within customer relations for a bank. let me ask you a few questions:

1. why did you think it was closed in march? did you make a specific request for it to be closed which is recorded anywhere?

2. is the fee for going overdrawn and are you overdrawn currently?

3. if you are overdrawn, how did you go overdrawn if you thought the account was closed?

4. have you received any statements or similar since march which might have alerted you to the fact the acccount was open?

:)

tdo
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by tdo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:10 pm

1, They gave me a form to fill in that a dropped into my branch - I didn't take a copy *
2, There was no over draft on the account - they took some charges out last year but I cleared that off in march
3, It's overdrawn as they have been charging me more and more each month for being overddrawn - i have not properly used the account for about a year
4, no not a thing apart from the e-mail today

Cheers mate

*this is just another part of a long going bloody saga with them (long story)

safe

Post by safe » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:34 pm

alright, you need to write to the bank to raise a complaint.

preferably, before you do so, as soon as you can, pay off any outstanding overdraft and ask for the account to be closed. this will ensure that if your complaint is unsuccessful you have not left yourself with even bigger debts. you should basically assume you will not get any money back, to avoid further disappointment.

that said, i think you have a good case, so don't worry. write to the bank (don't phone or email or anything else), explaining that you asked for the account to be closed and when you asked for it to be done, at whichever branch. it's possible they scanned or recorded your form and just didn't act on it, which makes your case watertight.

say you assumed the account was closed and were surprised and dismayed to find you were ovedrawn to the extent that you are. reiterate you wanted to close the account and your actions support that -- you have not spent on the account since march and cleared the balance prior to the closure request.

write your letter to natwest at the following address:
NatWest Customer Relations
FREEPOST NAT12685
BOREHAMWOOD
WD6 1BR
as they say on their website:
You can write to the Customer Relations Manager (address below). Please quote your account number, branch sort code, details of your complaint and what you'd like the Bank to do to resolve it.
natwest is part of rbs, so make your letter for the attention of philip hampton, the ceo:

http://www.rbs.com/about-rbs/g1/our-board.ashx

that way it will be handled as an executive complaint, which means it will get a little more urgency.

remember, be polite and just lay out the facts. you're being charged for nothing and have been charged for months without using the account.

even if they refute the complaint, you will get the right to refer it to the financial ombudsman service (fos). i would expect them to look at it favourably. i would if everything you've said is true and it landed on my desk.

tdo
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by tdo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:43 pm

Cheers mate, the problem is i can't pay off the amount of money - well not in one big chunk anyway

safe

Post by safe » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:52 pm

that's okay. just raise the complaint and explain that in your letter.

DJ Chance
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by DJ Chance » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:04 pm

Good Stuff Safe.

You still where you was when we chatted before????

tdo
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by tdo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:10 pm

Cheers for the advice safe!!

I've called them and after a bit of (polite) back and forth - I've got it down to £250 quid to pay back, Once I've done that I'll write the letter, thanks again mate

safe

Post by safe » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:26 pm

DJ Chance wrote:Good Stuff Safe.

where was i then? in richmond? i'm in and around london now, but usually at the head office.
tdo wrote:Cheers for the advice safe!!

I've called them and after a bit of (polite) back and forth - I've got it down to £250 quid to pay back, Once I've done that I'll write the letter, thanks again mate
psh. if they've knocked it down to that, i'll be really surprised if they don't wipe the slate clean for you when you write. it would cost them more to let you take it to the ombudsman, so you could mention that you intend to refer it if they do not refund you the full set of charges.

DJ Chance
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by DJ Chance » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:36 pm

safe wrote:
DJ Chance wrote:Good Stuff Safe.

where was i then? in richmond? i'm in and around london now, but usually at the head office.
Yes Richmond.

So you 1CP?? I am always up there if so??

safe

Post by safe » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:57 pm

that's the one.

JACK-0
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Bank Help!

Post by JACK-0 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:25 pm

If this is still going on, go in to your bank and meet with one of the managers. I had exactly the same issue with Barclays about 18months ago. They wrote off £500 of charges and closed the account as it should have been as I closed it in London Bridge branch over 3 yrs ago.

If you pay the 250 you'll never see it again trust me!!