Cycling 2011

Off topic, keep it clean and legal!
Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Re: Cycling 2011

Post by Double Drop » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:25 am

Just been out for a 6.8 mile pootle now, took me 40 minutes but I was going easy as it's my first ride in ages.

Lovely weather out there for it. :) 8)

cozza
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by cozza » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:25 pm

OK - here's a question - cycle helmet or not?
I know its the correct and sensible thing to do but have a real problem with the standard design of cycle helmets ... they just look so silly

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:27 pm

cozza wrote:OK - here's a question - cycle helmet or not?
I know its the correct and sensible thing to do but have a real problem with the standard design of cycle helmets ... they just look so silly
Definitely. Falling off of a bike at even a low speed could seriously ruin your day.

I went for a Giro Hex.

ill advised
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by ill advised » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:07 pm

I fitted my new bike computer that I got for xmas today then found an app on the iphone that does exactly the same thing via gps but better lol. Went out for a test run and got excited. Will endevour to get out properly tomoz :)

ill advised
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by ill advised » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:15 am

did get out for a 10 miler in the countryside yesterday. Very enjoyable. Shall be doing the same route today too :)

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:29 pm

Did a twelve-miler today round the Woodford Valley, absolutely beautiful weather for it. :D

andrew
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by andrew » Tue May 03, 2011 9:27 am

No helmet here. I just don't think that anyone should feel that they ought to wear one; it's a personal choice at the end of the day. Per mile travelled, cycling is no more dangerous than walking. Also, when I was a kid you'd have been considered mental for wearing a cycling helmet and I reckon the roads (in London at least) are safer now than they were then - more cyclists on the roads, bus lanes, advanced stop zones, 20MPH zones, congestion charging, more awareness of HGV dangers, etc.

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Wed May 04, 2011 1:44 pm

Definitely NOT!!!! Unless u are doing 'extreme' off road cycling.

I still resent the fact i bought one for my son... I wanted him to learn about balance the old-fashioned-way but too many pc people in this world dictated that i should buy one for him. Now i have & i resent it still!!! :(

Cycling helmets are for pussies :D Love me! ;)

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Wed May 04, 2011 7:40 pm

It was explained to me thus:

The human skull has evolved to protect the head, and by extension, brain from collisions with soil or grass from the height of a person, say approximately 6ft, and at a speed no greater than the speed of a running adult.

Anything higher (person on a bike for example), harder (tarmac, stones, curbs) or faster (as a random example here, a person cycling) over-matches the skull.

Result: brain injury, death.

You can't explain it any simple than that really.

On a personal level my best friend spent a week in a coma after falling from a bike in woodland, changed his personality to some extent (he became Mr Angry!) and ten-years later went on to develop epilepsy as a result of probably scaring to the front of his brain.

For the sake of a forty-quid lid. why the fuck wouldn't you?

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Thu May 05, 2011 6:47 am

Double Drop wrote:For the sake of a forty-quid lid. why the fcuk wouldn't you?

Coz u look like a tit :D

All joking aside, i have ridden a bike for the best part of 40 years without one... Yeah i might fall off and bang my head or i might get hit by a bus or my plane might crash etc etc... I'll brave it.

I also understand ur point DD -> especially in lieu of ur mates' accident.

Not for me though...

andrew
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by andrew » Thu May 05, 2011 9:09 am

Double Drop wrote:It was explained to me thus:

The human skull has evolved to protect the head, and by extension, brain from collisions with soil or grass from the height of a person, say approximately 6ft, and at a speed no greater than the speed of a running adult.

Anything higher (person on a bike for example), harder (tarmac, stones, curbs) or faster (as a random example here, a person cycling) over-matches the skull.

Result: brain injury, death.

You can't explain it any simple than that really.
Absolutely - but by that logic you'd wear a helmet every time you walked along a pavement or climbed a stepladder. I'd hate to see a situation where helmets became a legal requirement, or one where insurance companies wouldn't pay out unless the cyclist was wearing one, etc.

What happened to your friend is a more compelling reason; if I knew anyone who'd had a nasty accident I'd probably start wearing one as well.

jp72
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by jp72 » Thu May 05, 2011 8:13 pm

I wear a helmet. I'm pretty confident of my cycling ability and don't fall off as a rule. The thing is it's the motorists I can't trust. Once they are inside their cars a percentage of motorists are ignorant wankers.
It's true helmets aren't cool, but when I'm red faced sweating like fuck mouth wide open riding up a steep hill, to the outside world I probably don't look very cool anyway!!

Ric
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Post by Ric » Thu May 05, 2011 8:27 pm

Have been doing a six mile ride each day for last couple of weeks. Really enjoying it, although whichever way I ride along the seafront the wind is in my face, even on the return journey. Oh well, at least it makes me work harder at it!

andrew
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by andrew » Fri May 06, 2011 10:03 am

Ric wrote:Really enjoying it, although whichever way I ride along the seafront the wind is in my face, even on the return journey.
The first rule of cycling is that the wind is NEVER with you... I hate it but it's not as bad as ice!

jp72
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by jp72 » Fri May 06, 2011 10:59 am

^^ It's true, a tailwind is a rare and beautiful thing!

*edit* And on that seafront cycle path in Brighton, it's not only the wind that gets in your face, it's bloody pedestrians!! Especially as you get nearer the pier!