Legal (ish) adivce on renting issue.

Off topic, keep it clean and legal!
AlexWise
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Legal (ish) adivce on renting issue.

Post by AlexWise » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:38 am

I have a bit of an issue with the flat I am renting, I have … destroyed it.
Well, that's a little over the top, but I will most likely have to replace the carpet, most furnishings (which are the landlords) and repaint the place, possibly new bits in the bathroom, not nothing extreme as structural.

So the question is, once it's all in working order and as close as I can get it, I'm sure they will spot some things not original, and the as the contract states I am not allowed to change these sorts of things would there be any legal action with this, or will they just laugh and pat me on the back for making the place look good? (It looked crappy when I moved in)

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Re: Legal (ish) adivce on renting issue.

Post by Beagle » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:44 am

I think that's up to the landlord.

Either they'll say 'thanks for doing the place up - I like it'.

Or they'll take you to the fucking cleaners.

How on Earth have you ruined a house that isn't yours? :lol: #-o

strongforce
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by strongforce » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:54 am

Looks like you're screwed either way. If you replace the items he could keep your deposit claiming you wernt spose to replace anything (as per your contract) & if you just leave it as it is, he'll keep it claiming he'll need to replace the items anyway.

If i were you, i'd write him an email stating the furnishings have become worn & you'd like to replace them. Seek approval on all the items you'd like to replace & what you intend to replace them with..............keeping all correspondence as record of agreement.

champion puffa

Post by champion puffa » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:22 am

Strongforce wrote:
If i were you, i'd write him an email stating the furnishings have become worn & you'd like to replace them. Seek approval on all the items you'd like to replace & what you intend to replace them with..............keeping all correspondence as record of agreement.

PERFECT ANSWER

Rapid
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Rapid » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:24 pm

Did you pay your money to the Tenancy Deposit scheme or direct to the landlord?

swipezster
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by swipezster » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:34 pm

There's a lot of factors involved here. As Strongforce stated, constant correspondence would be needed with the landlord... and appreciated.#

The one thing I can tell you that upon final inspections, Landlords / Agents hear it every time and it does their heads in:

"It's nicer / cleaner than when I first moved in"
- it's an easy cop-out that they've heard all before, and will inspect the property as they see fit, including taking into account fair wear & tear.

If you replace the carpet with cheaper stuff, they'll clock that straight away, regardless of the condition of the original one.

The final, and most important element, is whether it is privately or let through an agent; it will depend heavily on your relationship with the landlord, but I don't know your circumstances.

If I were you, I'm sorry to say, it's squeaky bum-time. My mate lost an £800 deposit last month because there were some stains :-& on the sofa and the carpet was filthy.
Yet I've known other people who have virtually trashed a house, but the landlord was prepared to spend money from scratch to do the pad up to put it on the market.

I personally, without trying to sound cynical, have never understood tenants abusing homes (whether they are nice or not) my sister being the classic example (she has lost literally thousands through loss of deposits over the years).

The best thing you can do is take Strongforce's advice, and maybe own up a little to your misdemeanors, stating that you'd be prepared to pay for whatever.

Good luck chief 8-[

groovesection
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by groovesection » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:45 pm

Id just fucking torch the place and blame it on the dodgy electrical wiring :D