PC or Mac

Off topic, keep it clean and legal!
gingerninja
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

PC or Mac

Post by gingerninja » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:05 am

I am looking at getting a new system so the question is PC or Mac.

I mostly use the computer for internet and photoshop, has anyone made the switch either and way and how did you find it????

jon99
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Re: PC or Mac

Post by jon99 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:46 am

Everyone who owns a Mac is going to say get a Mac, everyone else will say go with a PC - I reckon you should go with a Mac.

I haven't used Vista, I was still using XP when I switched so I don't know what Windows is like now.

But I reckon OS X is far better than XP. Everything is integrated well (eg mail, web browser, address book, photo library and even 3rd party applications) and most things just work the way you'd expect them to. Its not perfect though and I can say from experience that it does crash the same as Windows.

A Mac will cost you more but you do get a pretty good software bundle with it, a built in web cam and they hold their value well.

aize
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by aize » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:18 am

If i could only afford it i'd upgrade to a mac in a shot. Love them, so easy to use.

nee
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by nee » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:41 am

Dear lord!!

I thought people knew better than to start a mac vs pc topic on here!! *neil runs for cover*

:)

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:34 am

I thought Photoshop didn't work on Macs?

{edit} Must have dreamed that. :?

groovesection
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by groovesection » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:08 am

if you are just going to use the computer for internet and minimal video/music editing,.....get a PC

if you want to seriously get into making music/video production......get a MAC

stts
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by stts » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:55 am

Pc or Mac ?

Depends who much money you wish to spend, Both are computers at the end of the day which do the same job :lol:

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:56 am

Do you play games as well?

Very few games work on the Mac I believe.

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons
Location: Bat Beat Vol 2 - It's Still Here!!!! (as are a few copies of Vol 1)

Post by renegadegenius » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:11 am

Are u gonna splash out on all original software, or want to download bits for 'free'... pc stuff is much easier to get hold of.
PCs are also much cheaper & much easier to upgrade if u need to.

But as said - if you're going into very high end art / video work, then macs are usually the standard for that sort of thing.

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:26 am

I use both (Mac at work, PC at home).

For Photoshop (my job) I think the Mac pisses over the PC version. Don't ask me why, it just seems to work smoother. Maybe it's because I'm more used to it, but I find the Windows version clunky and awkward.

I have a PC at home as it's mainly used for audio and I don't have a wedge of cash to blow on kit and software. as RG said, PC's are cheaper and easier to upgrade and get apps for.

BUT, if I had the money, I'd swap my home PC for a MAC tomorrow. They're a dream to use and are hassle free. The world would run smoother if the norm was OS-X (in my opinion).

For your use, I'd suggest you look at a refurbed iMac.

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:27 am

nee wrote:Dear lord!!

I thought people knew better than to start a mac vs pc topic on here!! *neil runs for cover*

:)

haha, well it's been a while! I wonder if this thread can avoid being a 'vs' topic?

xybo
Regular
Regular

Post by xybo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:29 am

I use both. Macs good parts are basically that it's not vista. OSX is good on that. Good part of OSX is also that you can still run XP on it if you need the good filesystem controller, mac dosen't have it. It basically living hell to move any files or control them.

When going PC you have to be careful of the VISTA, don't use it yet. I moved mainly to mac because of it. Software is easy to get to both, PC or MAC, legal or illegal. Graphical things have always been the main reason to use MAC, so if you're thinking of doing it at professional level, move to mac :)

Mac is not very good at using external equipment, so if you're about to use them, be carfeul. PC is much better on those, but you have to buy "good enough" motherboard to support everything.

New intel mac aren't that stable anymore, they crash as often as XP.

So in the end its more about what you like and how you use your computer. If you want to have full control and able to do someting when problems comes, use PC. If you just want to use softwares and dont care how to machine is handling them,use MAC.

-- xybo

jaz
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Post by jaz » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:02 am

Does Photoshop take advantage of dual/quad core cpu's ?
If you haven't used the latest dual/quad core intel cpu's then you will be amazed at how fast they are now, if you build a real PC with a cutting edge motherboard & a core2/quad it's so fast & relatively cheap.
I only have a Core2 @ 3ghz with 1066mhz ram with a 680i motherboard, things like video editing used to take hours on my last 2.2ghz AMD rig, now I can encode a DVD 2 pass in less than an hour.
I would think a Core2/Quad with about 8GB of fast ram & RAID would kick the arse of a similar priced Apple machine, but tbh I am not up on the specs/price of those.

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:56 am

xybo wrote:
Can't remember the last time mine crashed. Hasn't been turned of in weeks either.

Another nice thing about Macs is the way it stores data on the HD. You can have a huge HD and leave it as one partition - something you are advised against on XP (don't know if this has been fixed with Vista). And you don't need to worry about disc 'defrag' as the OS does this on the fly. (I think!).

However, a nice plus with a PC is the 'build it yourself' aspect. You can build to your budget now, then expand as you go.

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:06 pm

Beagle wrote:
xybo wrote:
Can't remember the last time mine crashed. Hasn't been turned of in weeks either.

Another nice thing about Macs is the way it stores data on the HD. You can have a huge HD and leave it as one partition - something you are advised against on XP (don't know if this has been fixed with Vista). And you don't need to worry about disc 'defrag' as the OS does this on the fly. (I think!).

However, a nice plus with a PC is the 'build it yourself' aspect. You can build to your budget now, then expand as you go.
Just to put this in context: my PC has now been switched on since roughly the start of October, has crashed about ten times in the last five years (mainly hardware failures) and runs XP using two large unpartitioned hard drives which have never been defragged.

Oh, and whilst I never built it myself it has been upgraded to the point where the only original component is the memory. :lol: