Original 2nd gen break ID

Breaks, Old Skool, Nu Skool. Interested in how it's all done or have advice to offer? Post here
Fizza
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Original 2nd gen break ID

Post by Fizza » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:44 pm

Semi confusing topic title, but I know that the original of the break below is Lyn Collins - Think, but I always thought that The Lost - Gonzo was the source of this version of it, but I've just heard this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU8bB7Qs ... age#t=152s

This predates The Lost and I'm half thinking that this may not be the source of this version either, is there a clean sample from this release (I've only go youtube to find out) or was it sampled from some late 80s hip hop track? Cheers in advance.

Fizza
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Re: Original 2nd gen break ID

Post by Fizza » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:46 pm

Ok, so after looping and pitching this up, I was expecting to hear the famous Nookie - Give A Little Love break taken from The Gonzo but with a 4/4 kick in it, but it sounds to me more like one of the breaks used by Noise Factory in Set Me Free (Remix). I probably should have posted this in the producers forum though - maybe a mod can move the thread?

I'm still curious however, as the Think break is looped/chopped in the same way as the Gonzo break, which means they still may share an original source, or possibly just the same break looped in the same way. I tried to recreate it but didn't really come up with the same loop, anyone else try to recreate it?

squatski
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by squatski » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:56 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLHKm90rWbk

there's a version on the EP called 'legit beats'

Fizza
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Fizza » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:00 am

Thanks, you're a star!

Fizza
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Fizza » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:09 am

Bringing back an old thread here, but I have another 2nd Generation break that's always been bothering me:

At 1:03 in, the main break comes in, the first place I ever heard it clean was Hardcore Rhythm Team - Troubled World, but I definitely have the feeling that the source is some late 80s rap track or something, to get beyond that to the real original source, it does sound reminiscent of Kool & The Gang's Chocolate Buttermilk, used in Way In My Brain (which seems to use two permutations of that same break), but I'm not entirely convinced that's it..

Anyone other breakbeat spotters have a clue?? It's eluded me for years...