Which sequencers did the oldskool pioneers use?

Breaks, Old Skool, Nu Skool. Interested in how it's all done or have advice to offer? Post here
bandwidth
Regular
Regular

Which sequencers did the oldskool pioneers use?

Post by bandwidth » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:28 pm

Thought it might be an interesting topic to discuss which sequencers the oldskool pioneers used on some of their all time classic tunes..!

Here's a couple to start the ball rolling....

Liam Howlett used a Roland W30 workstation to write alot of the early Prodigy stuff (I think he uses cubase these days?),

Orbital used an Alesis MMT8 to write Chime (I think they also used it for their live performances),

Anybody know what DJ Seduction, SL2 or Rhythm Section used? or how about Joey Beltram, Goldie or 2 Bad Mice?

Would be really interesting to find out what those guys used to arrange their music!!

blade187
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Re: Which sequencers did the oldskool pioneers use?

Post by blade187 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:28 pm

Urban Shakedown used Octamed on an Amiga 500 for the track Some Justice as I recall.

squatski
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by squatski » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:39 pm

pro24
notation.
for atari

jamie posted this pic of the cover of this amiga mag some time ago, can't remember which mag, but i looked it up straight after, i thought it was about altern8 using their miggy to make their tunes but in the interview they mentioned they used the atari ST in their studio.

tha liquid
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by tha liquid » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:49 pm

blade187 wrote:Urban Shakedown used Octamed on an Amiga 500 for the track Some Justice as I recall.
Yup, thats true. I have the original .MOD file of Some Justice. Amazing what can be produced with only 4 channels.

:-)

Peace...

squatski
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by squatski » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:58 pm

bandwidth
Regular
Regular

Post by bandwidth » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:05 pm

blade187 wrote:Urban Shakedown used Octamed on an Amiga 500 for the track Some Justice as I recall.
I didn't realise the Amagia was used for dance music so its interesting to find that out..!! That Urban Shakedown tune is a classic oldskool anthem!!!!

Just been looking at Octamed on Wikipedia, did you know about the Windows version?
http://www.medsoundstudio.com/
Squatski wrote:pro24
notation.
for atari

jamie posted this pic of the cover of this amiga mag some time ago, can't remember which mag, but i looked it up straight after, i thought it was about altern8 using their miggy to make their tunes but in the interview they mentioned they used the atari ST in their studio.
I had an Atari 1040ste back in '94 it came with Steinberg Pro24 which was quite a good little program, I also had a copy of C-Lab Notator but could'nt get on with it so ended up getting Cubase (glad I did really, easily the best sequencer I have ever used!!) :D

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:21 pm

Tha Liquid(tm) wrote:
Yup, thats true. I have the original .MOD file of Some Justice. Amazing what can be produced with only 4 channels.

Peace...
ha! How did you get that? I'd love to see some screen grabs!

tha liquid

Post by tha liquid » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:45 pm

Beagle wrote:
Tha Liquid(tm) wrote:

Peace...
ha! How did you get that? I'd love to see some screen grabs!
Screen grabs won't show much except a tracker screen, but i'll upload a link to the .MOD tomorrow evening if you want it?

Peace...

AlexWise
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by AlexWise » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:36 pm

Urban Shakedown mostly used two Amiga's, having to sync the two by pressing play on both machines at the same time. :lol:

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons
Location: Bat Beat Vol 2 - It's Still Here!!!! (as are a few copies of Vol 1)

Post by renegadegenius » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:40 pm

Tha Liquid(tm) wrote:
Screen grabs won't show much except a tracker screen, but i'll upload a link to the .MOD tomorrow evening if you want it?

Peace...
I wouldn't mind that - it'll load nicely into renoise :)

J3D

Post by J3D » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:48 pm

DJ Red Alert & Pepsi 'Mike slammer'
Amiga 600HD with octaMED

Last edited by J3D on Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nokka
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Nokka » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:35 pm

Tha Liquid(tm) wrote:

Peace...

wow thats mad...just 4 channels?? crazy

AlexWise
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by AlexWise » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:38 pm

As I posted above, their setup was two Amiga's, giving them 8 tracks.
I know Do It Now was done on 8 tracks, can't be 100% sure if Some Justice was, but someone on discogs claims it was done with 8...

"Some Justice was actually written on two Amigas. To synchronise them they had a pattern of clicks on each Amiga which looped before the tracks started. They basically kept starting the tracks until the clicks were in sync. Thats how they got 8 track audio before the Amiga 1200 came out and without using programs such as OctaMED which further degraded the 8-bit sound quality when using more than the Amigas 4 hardware sound channels."

http://www.discogs.com/release/29756

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons
Location: Bat Beat Vol 2 - It's Still Here!!!! (as are a few copies of Vol 1)

Post by renegadegenius » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:06 pm

AlexWise wrote:As I posted above, their setup was two Amiga's, giving them 8 tracks.
I know Do It Now was done on 8 tracks, can't be 100% sure if Some Justice was, but someone on discogs claims it was done with 8...

"Some Justice was actually written on two Amigas. To synchronise them they had a pattern of clicks on each Amiga which looped before the tracks started. They basically kept starting the tracks until the clicks were in sync. Thats how they got 8 track audio before the Amiga 1200 came out and without using programs such as OctaMED which further degraded the 8-bit sound quality when using more than the Amigas 4 hardware sound channels."

http://www.discogs.com/release/29756
The 8 tracks via 2 amigas was due to how the amiga did sound - 2 channels on the left, 2 on the right, so for them to get say the drums coming out of both left and right, they had to put the same drums on a left and right channel (using up 2 tracks). so the 8 tracks were really 4 mono tracks (or maybe a bit of panning to give slight stereo placement).
Also heard they used a couple of effect machines in there (as vsts weren't arround back then :) )

bandwidth
Regular
Regular

Post by bandwidth » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:18 pm

Anybody know where that bassline in Some Justice came from? was it a synth or sampled?