HOW TO BUILD YOUR HOME STUDIO

Breaks, Old Skool, Nu Skool. Interested in how it's all done or have advice to offer? Post here
wax
He never locked his car door

HOW TO BUILD YOUR HOME STUDIO

Post by wax » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:39 pm

ez people
just thought it would be a good idea seeing as most of us are expanding our own home studios to put a sticky post up as a bit of a guide to what to get with equipment n stuff and what does what etc.....
reviews of things from people who actually own them and use them ! rather than shop reviews etc.....
maybe even a guide to connectivity on units etc.....

whats your thoughts on it ?

disORIENTATION
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Re: HOW TO BUILD YOUR HOME STUDIO

Post by disORIENTATION » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:06 pm

I'd like to know what niggly little bits a studio needs, like I guess a desk, monitors, PC and synths but what else do you need and what soundcard and desk would you recomend?

Soundbwoy
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Soundbwoy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:16 am

From a hardware perspective, soundcard wise id recommend the delta 10/10lt. It has 10 ins and outs as the name suggests and 2 can be used together giving you 20 ins and outs. There are other studio cards that offer 24 ins and outs etc but i havent read into them.
Desks, i always go with industry standard as they are industry standard for a reason.....quality! Decks i go for technics, mixing desks i go for mackie. I have an sr24.4, its not bad, it has good headroom, wikkid mic pres and nice sound. The eqs are not brilliant and dont get touched as you cant sweep frequencies very well with it. I would like to get a mackie 24.8 or 32.8 eventually as they are the bomb for mixing down on and everything is excellent.

J3D
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by J3D » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:40 am

Soundbwoy wrote: 2 can be used together giving you 20 ins and outs.
4 can be used together mate

J3D

Post by J3D » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:08 pm

Delta 10/10 or better
24 channel desk
monitor speakers (actives) not passives
midi controller keyboard (atleast 49 key min) fuck 2 oct !
sequencer software (if your using a delta card then Pro tools M-powered is easy the best recording method)
and the dvd tutorial isnt that hard to get hold of !

vsti's - virtual instruments and sampler (try torrents!~)
vsts - effects , mastering , processing (try torrents!~)

disORIENTATION
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by disORIENTATION » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:23 pm

Jamie-3-Dexx wrote:Delta 10/10 or better
24 channel desk
monitor speakers (actives) not passives
midi controller keyboard (atleast 49 key min) fuck 2 oct !
sequencer software (if your using a delta card then Pro tools M-powered is easy the best recording method)
and the dvd tutorial isnt that hard to get hold of !

vsti's - virtual instruments and sampler (try torrents!~)
vsts - effects , mastering , processing (try torrents!~)
So I'm looking at getting a soundcard and a desk, I've got Spirit Absolute 2 monitors, they should be ok for now. I've got a shedload of VSTs and some of them are actually legit! :D

gameboy
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by gameboy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:11 pm

Desk: So many channels you have hardware / have planned to get hardware + 2-4 extras for spare. Ie. you have 2 synths and sampler, it would need 4 mono ch for synths and 2-4 mono ch for sampler. Why buy 24 channel desk when you get 16 for less money and you need 8 channels max. I have situation now that my 8mono+4stereo mixer is too small and I'm looking for 32/48 channel mixer just because i have expanded my amount of hw too big to bother changing cables between machines and channels. Other what you need to think is are you going to user outboard fx's, then you want to know how many aux buses is in mixer.

Soundcard: Delta 1010 is nice for the price, if you have money you might check RME/etc better options with ADAT possibility.

Monitors: Starting from cheapest actives (Behringer Truths), depending how much you have money to invest.

Midicontroller: if you're planning to buy synth with decent keyboard & midi, thats your midicontroller then. Do you need weighted keys or can you cope with semi-weighted is the question here.

Sequencer: Try 3-4 alternatives, choose the one which you like the most. Its the one which you'll play for hours in the future, if it sucks / you hate but try to use it ... loses the point of making music.

VST/VSTi/outboardFX/synths: combine, try, find out. there are some good free ones also. learn few well, then get more if you're lacking something (can't get something done with the ones you're using), having 20 vstis installed and not knowing how to use them properly kinda loses the point... it should be like this: "this would need that kind of sound... i'll open this vsti, turn these knobs, detune oscillators, add vcf there and here we go."

The result you're after is to get all working & ready to go, so that you don't waste time on anything else than doing new tune. :)

J3D

Post by J3D » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:36 pm

if your gonna be using a load of midi gear
then a midi patcher is in order aswell ie.

steinberg Midex8 or the emagic amt8

the prices are scary on these things brand new lol
but you can pick em up on ebay for £90 easy

these sort out any timing issues and also act as a patcher so you can run multipul synths from one controller
and change synths at the push of a button or via the software on the driver

Soundbwoy
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Soundbwoy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:16 pm

Eyeski wrote:
Like anyone's gonna have four cards in there system! Maybe Two...
Yeah thats what i meant ;) 2's plenty lol
In fact i dont think i need 2 as i group parts together to mixdown finally.....

soopaslooth
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by soopaslooth » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:07 pm

Its funny to see theres a general trend on here towards people getting into hardware and moving away from software only. I've gone completely the opposite way in the last couple of years! :lol:

My setup now, and I think this is all you need to produce these days, is
-PC running a good DAW (Ableton for me)
-VSTs
-Decent soundcard, only needs 1 set of ins and outs if you're doing all your mixing down inside the computer and not using any external instruments (I've got an M-Audio 192)
-Controller keyboard - essential imo, and has to have at least 49 keys (CME UF6 here)
-Good active monitors (KRK RP8s)

And thats it really.....

All my hardware is now gathering dust in the loft!

wax

Post by wax » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:14 pm

ok good calls from everyone so far,
was thinking of breaking it down a bit more tho,from a very basic point to running a full studio,ie monitors & soundcard right up to full blown hardware n things.
almost like a begainers guide.

ie logical expansion from a small studio upwards,sound card,monitors,then the next things to buy etc......

personally for my im quite interested in effects units and a mixer at the min.also what about compressors ?? or would you all stick to software nodays seeing as its generally free or cheaper than actual hardware ? ive kinda got the hardware bug at the min mind lol !!

henryburner
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by henryburner » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:51 pm

Wax wrote:
personally for my im quite interested in effects units and a mixer at the min.also what about compressors ?? or would you all stick to software nodays seeing as its generally free or cheaper than actual hardware ? ive kinda got the hardware bug at the min mind lol !!
The two downsides of hardware.

1. Space
2. Time - takes very long time to continue on something you worked with last week. Finding the right Zip disks, finding the right sounds on every synth, right settings on effects etc :(

My motto is "Finish it tonight or don´t start at all" :D Therefore I have my finished recordings and chances I can/will re-record them in case someone would like to release them or something is about 50/50. The positive thing is that you must try and focus 100% when you are doing something, knowing that if the mix is bad you won´t do another take next month.

Working with software on the other hand, I like Madtracker, just open the last project on work a little. But I never get anywhere with it. Just doing some minor changes here and there, no real studio session feeling. Waste of time for me.

2nd hand hardware is NOT expensive and remember you don´t need this and that special exlusive brand to make a good tune after all.

jmt
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by jmt » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:57 pm

my guide;
tweakheadz.com,brilliant site with all the info,form newcomer to pro.
i wish id found this site 2 years ago

disORIENTATION
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by disORIENTATION » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:04 pm

Stupid question but with a desk, if I move the volume slider on the desk, will that change relating volume inside the sequencer on the PC aswell?

wax

Post by wax » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:25 pm

jmt wrote:my guide;
tweakheadz.com,brilliant site with all the info,form newcomer to pro.
i wish id found this site 2 years ago
cheers for that mate,really interesting n helpfull site !!