most irritating 'anthem'?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
d
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Re: most irritating 'anthem'?

Post by d » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:02 pm

I am suprised people mention Let Me Be Your Fantasy and Sesames Treet as they were pop tunes when they came out. I cant remember ever hearing 'let me be your fantasy' at a rave - yeah I heard it loads at some shitty meat market club, but not a proper party.

On the whole anthems became anthems because they were actually fucking good tunes - they then just got overplayed. Like Edge 1, We are ie, Bombscare etc...

I can remember the first tune that was 'really big' and I just didnt get at all and that was Pennywise. I didn't like it and retropsectively it was the probably the moment when I began to fall out of love with hardcore and the scene split into that hideous happy bollocks or that dour rolling amen sound of 93.

Adam Timeless
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Adam Timeless » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:24 pm

d wrote:I am suprised people mention Let Me Be Your Fantasy and Sesames Treet as they were pop tunes when they came out. I cant remember ever hearing 'let me be your fantasy' at a rave - yeah I heard it loads at some shitty meat market club, but not a proper party.

On the whole anthems became anthems because they were actually fucking good tunes - they then just got overplayed. Like Edge 1, We are ie, Bombscare etc...
Spot on mate. Things like Baby D were pop music for me and the other stuff mentioned was pretty awesome when I first heard them and still is good once I have had a break from them. I think Edge 1 is a wicked tune with all the right elements and great fun to mix with. Loads of wicked tunes got hammered to death.

I think the most annoying tunes I heard in raves were Peter Bouncer 'Raving I'm Raving' and Ratpack 'Brothers & Sisters' (rips off a couple of tunes and butchers them in the process) - will leave the room when these come on !

caspian
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by caspian » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:46 pm

I don't care about all this underground bollox, made as pop tunes etc. If you think it's a decent tune then play it & enjoy!!! whether it's underground, overground commercial label whatever.

Sir Captinweestain

Post by Sir Captinweestain » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:00 pm

crystal waters--gypsy woman
moby--feeling so real
most of ratpacks productions/searchin fr my rizla/captin of this shit :)lord of the dance.
collaspe--my love
nrg--i need your lovin

i personally think ratpack have kille all these so called anthems by caning in the same order at every set they did

imo

retrospect
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by retrospect » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:30 pm

d wrote:I am suprised people mention Let Me Be Your Fantasy and Sesames Treet as they were pop tunes when they came out. I cant remember ever hearing 'let me be your fantasy' at a rave - yeah I heard it loads at some shitty meat market club, but not a proper party.

I can remember the first tune that was 'really big' and I just didnt get at all and that was Pennywise. I didn't like it and retropsectively it was the probably the moment when I began to fall out of love with hardcore and the scene split into that hideous happy bollocks or that dour rolling amen sound of 93.
when let me be came out on test it got played on pirates and was played by the likes of slipmatt in 92, also sesames treet got played at quite a few proper raves eg fantazia summertime - doubt the meat market club djs would of played baby d until it got rereleased and charted in 1994.

Sir Captinweestain

Post by Sir Captinweestain » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:55 pm

laaa daa dee laaa daaa dahh through out the whole song (nearly)

complete bag of wank

Adam Timeless

Post by Adam Timeless » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:21 am

caspian wrote:I don't care about all this underground bollox, made as pop tunes etc. If you think it's a decent tune then play it & enjoy!!! whether it's underground, overground commercial label whatever.
just because its pop music doesn't mean it can't be good - i guess the word 'commercial' would have been more apt.

@ Moby 'Feeling So Real' I wouldn't say this was ever an anthem, hardly heard it played in any sets - wicked tune.

Paul Zykotik
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Paul Zykotik » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:54 am

Spookyjo wrote:Opus III - It's A Fine Day :|

:D
You're pretty much the first person I've met who doesn't like this (I'm sure there are plenty others). Wicked tune IMO, the vocals are nice and chilled - even if they are nonsense - and it doesn't try to be stupidly 'rave' like loads of other commercial tunes of the time. Nice and laid back :D

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:31 am

Steven wrote:I have a bit of list of right here, of my most hated anthems.

2 Bad Mice - 'Bombscare'
SL2 - 'On A Ragga Tip'
Edge1 - 'Compnded'
Krome & Time - 'This Sound Is For The Underground'
Liquid - 'Sweet Harmony'
Sonz Of A Loop Da Loop Era - 'Far Out'
Krome & Time - 'The Slammer'
Prodigy - 'Your Love'
N-Joi - 'Anthem'
Xpansions - 'Move Your Body'
Prodigy - 'Out Of Space'
Jonny L - 'Hurt You So'
Damn!! You 'hate' those Prodigy tracks?! Really!? Not to mention 'Sound for the Underground'. Do you hate them because you just don't think they are very good, or have you come to hate them due to over-familiarity?

Don't think I've ever heard someone say they hate 'Your Love' or 'Out of Space'....

Steven
Regular
Regular

Post by Steven » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:55 am

Beagle wrote:
Steven wrote:I have a bit of list of right here, of my most hated anthems.

2 Bad Mice - 'Bombscare'
SL2 - 'On A Ragga Tip'
Edge1 - 'Compnded'
Krome & Time - 'This Sound Is For The Underground'
Liquid - 'Sweet Harmony'
Sonz Of A Loop Da Loop Era - 'Far Out'
Krome & Time - 'The Slammer'
Prodigy - 'Your Love'
N-Joi - 'Anthem'
Xpansions - 'Move Your Body'
Prodigy - 'Out Of Space'
Jonny L - 'Hurt You So'
Damn!! You 'hate' those Prodigy tracks?! Really!? Not to mention 'Sound for the Underground'. Do you hate them because you just don't think they are very good, or have you come to hate them due to over-familiarity?

Don't think I've ever heard someone say they hate 'Your Love' or 'Out of Space'....
I didn't mind the above Prodigy tracks & 'This Sound Is For The Underground' to start with. But I had heard them far too often and they just became simply too irritating to listen to again.
Which is really quite strange, as I can still listen to and can never get bored of other early Prodigy tracks, which were played equally as much, tunes such as; Prodigy - 'Fire' & 'jericho'. :)

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:05 am

Paul Zykotik wrote:
Spookyjo wrote:Opus III - It's A Fine Day :|

:D
You're pretty much the first person I've met who doesn't like this (I'm sure there are plenty others). Wicked tune IMO, the vocals are nice and chilled - even if they are nonsense - and it doesn't try to be stupidly 'rave' like loads of other commercial tunes of the time. Nice and laid back :D
I'll tell you something that may surprise you - I've never heard this tune.

I've heard the vocal, of course, in countless other tracks. But not the Opus 3 version.

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:06 am

I've never even heard OF IT, let alone heard it! :D

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons
Location: Bat Beat Vol 2 - It's Still Here!!!! (as are a few copies of Vol 1)

Post by renegadegenius » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:12 am

Are u 2 saying you've never heard of the Opus 3 tune!!!

Here it is on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kldxs195HLg

I've always loved the track - nice summery (yet spooky) feel to it.

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:16 am

oh I have heard OF it! and heard it ripped off loads of times. I just dont think i've heard the original. cheers :)

ah - i think i might have heard this actually.

it's OK, although not that special (IMO).

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:06 pm

Oh, THAT! Yeah, I know that. Never particularly liked it though. Average IMO. and that was an 'anthem' was it?