What music were you into before 'oldskool' ?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
samuel
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: What music were you into before 'oldskool' ?

Post by samuel » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:50 am

krakp0t wrote:there was music before oldskool?
hehe, yeah. what counts as oldskool then? is it something that is completely different to hardcore or any music before that... :-k

born in 1978, after starting to understand something about popmusic it was mainly dance/disco and the likes of sandra, modern talking and shit :badgrin: later on in the 80's i really liked jean michel jarre and kraftwerk and that lead me to dancechart house music like s'express, black box, technotronic and such. after that i had a couple of years period of hip hop; 2 live crew, run dmc, public enemy, n.w.a. before getting properly into techno/rave music in 91/92.
Last edited by samuel on Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Infiniti
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Infiniti » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:09 am

Born in 78, most of the pop/soft metal stuff around the eighties (some of which I still like), Public enemy, Run Dmc, Bomb the Bass. Started to notice I was getting into the more electronic stuff, 808 state etc in 1988, when i heard my first hardcore tape in 1990 I was instantly taken in.

fmrl
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by fmrl » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:33 am

New wave, goth, industrial, noise, electro, breakbeat, hip hop, alternative, and Cardiacs :D

CMcDougall
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Post by CMcDougall » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:33 am

born 75, older cousins mate was a dj, so listened to Divine (cross dresser, died '88). Then Depeche Mode -Black celebration, Madonna, Sandra (Heaven can wait (german)), Now Thats WICall Music 1-10, Beastie Boys, Frankie goes to hell, a ha, NWA, etc.

Never really got into mosh as a lad, only Bathory -Black The Sign Of Black Mark LP, Anthrax -Be All End All LP, Nuclear Assault -Hang the pope.

Then mates older brother had Greatest Hits Of House '88 by Stylus music on Vinyl, and that was it for me!!

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons
Location: Bat Beat Vol 2 - It's Still Here!!!! (as are a few copies of Vol 1)

Post by renegadegenius » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:46 am

Well, didn't really listen to much in the way of music while at school - mainly grew up listening to the tunes on computer games (C64 games such as Last Ninja / Hawkeye etc) - so that's probably where my interest of electronic sound came from.
Towards the end of the school years though was listening to 80s stuff like Madonna, Duran Duran etc, so still like that sort of stuff.
Also used to get the Deep Heat & Megabass albums, which featured all the late 80s stuff - KLF, S'express, Stakker, LFO etc.
Then during colleage is when it all kicked off with the early hardcore type stuff - SUAD / Ragga Twins etc.

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:07 am

born in '73. first liked Adam and the Ants, Madness, Queen...

Became aware of hip hop in '84, but didn't really 'get into' it until '85/'86 when I discovered Mike Allen's Capital Radio rap show.

I was aware of acid house in '88 but hated it (I was deeply into my hip hop then) but I think started hearing and liking stuff like Todd Terry, Bonesbreaks etc in 89/90. Got right into the sound in 90/91 when we all started regular tripping :) . started listening to pirate radio stations and Colin Favor's radio show on Kiss in '91 and for the first time started to buy hardcore instead of hip hop which had hit a brick wall in 91.

goemon
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy
Location: MULTICOLOURED LASERS...WATCH THOSE MULTICOLOURED LASERS!!!

Post by goemon » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:29 am

Born in 78, was listening to commercial radio stuff/charts in the 80ies, then into Queen, Depeche Mode, The Cure (still like all of them), loved the first more commercial technoey bits I heard on the radio (KLF, 2 Unlimited (yes I know :oops: ), bought a compilation CD in early 92 called Tekkkno Overkill :lol: ( http://www.discogs.com/release/318417 ) which I cained to death, then got into House until 94 when I discovered Gabber/Techno Hardcore, was big into that, mid 95 I heard a breakbeat hardcore/happy hardcore set on a local radio station (tunes off labels like Kniteforce, Impact, Stompin Choonz, Hectic and the likes) and instantly fell in love, shortly after that I heard a proper jungle set, loved it from the start as well, got hooked on the breakbeats which lead to Drum & Bass which I was into until around 98 when I got hold of Slammin Vinyl - The Album on vinyl ( http://www.discogs.com/release/593596 ), loved the sound of it, shortly after that I got hold of a copy of a mixmag CD, Kevin Saunderson / Slipmatt & Lime, which blew me away, loved the tunes (and still do!) and the mixing, from this point I was 100% into hardcore :D

henryburner
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by henryburner » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:07 pm

I liked Rocknroll when I was a kid (born 79), Rolling Stones, Elvis, Beatles etc. Then I listened a lot to commercial dance music like Snap, Technotronic, Inner city and then I bought Kaos Theory and lots of other Telstar compilations on cassettes in 93. :) And ofcourse MTV Party Zone was very important too. I remember I dropped my walkman from my BMX and the only cassette me and my friend had of Hit the decks III crashed into the ground so we had so wind the tape up from the street.

I think this was the cassette that really got me hooked. :)
http://www.discogs.com/release/551255

LOON-E
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by LOON-E » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:30 pm

Born 1969(fuck im getting old)..can remember coming home from a school trip as a 9yr old having bought ..Never mind the bollocks by the sex pistols..was into them and The Stray cats..by 84/5 i was into psychobilly...The meteors/cramps/demented are go etc..by 91 me and my mates were doing lots of acid and had started going to a local club(just because it was open allnight) and thats where i 1st heard hardcore...and loved it :)..from then on ts been..GABBA GABBA GABBA :)

LOON-E

tdo
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by tdo » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:21 pm

Born '82

dad use to listen to reggae/ska and soul and my nan played rat pack etc so got into that

10/11 - found a pirate station so kept tuning in to the stations as i'd never heard anything like it before! got tape's from my cousin and he used to tell me about all the raves he went to.
13/14 - got into happyhardcore (tape swaping at school) re-discovered old skool from the dreamscape 27/28 tapes packs,
15/now - into hip-hop
16/20 got into the harder stuff (m-zone etc)
17/now got into drum and bass
19/now into gabber

I became a bass junkie about 15 years old. these days into old school and old happy hardcore, hip-hop (old 90's stuff really) gabber, ska, jazz/swing

gaffer
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by gaffer » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:46 pm

Born in 1975, spent my early years being brought up on my old mans collection of Pink Floyd and The Rolling Stones, I was mainly into hip hop during my youth before moving over to hardcore around 1991. When the big split came in 94 I carried on buying both styles until 95/96 when I got bored and started buying house instead. Stopped buying new music altogether when UK/Speed Garage reared its ugly head (cant remember what year that was now - 97/98?) and just listened to old skool again. Stopped attending raves in about 2002 and went back full circle, bought all the pink floyd albums I used to listen to as a kid on CD and pulled out my old hip hop CD's as well. Then after finding this forum in 2005 I got back into my old skool again and also discovered hardcore breaks 8)

ske
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by ske » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:14 pm

born in 1971
got into music about 1982

82/85 Electro & soul
85/89 Hip Hop ( soul funk rare groove for breakbeats etc )
89/91 warehouse/acidhouse
91/93 Hardcore
93/94 jungle early dnb
95 dnb

also :

93/96 Us house & garage & uk
98/00 ( a little bit of uk garage, vocal melodical stuff )
96/07 House ( deep, funky, soulfull, electro, dirty... endless list of genres )

2006/07 Hardcorebreaks ( my newest addition ) :)

DJ-DR34DNOUGHT
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by DJ-DR34DNOUGHT » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:26 pm

electro then on to hip hop currently checking a westwood tape from when he was on 95.8
it was pony but thru lack of other dance music no choice, only pop record i own and was ever BOUGHT FOR ME was raiders of the pop charts 2 when i was 7 but i wanted it for whodinis - magic wand track and was only viable way of purchasing it was the weirdest tracklisting ever heh precious littles on and on song haircut 100 then 1 electro track

alex
Regular
Regular

Post by alex » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:07 pm

was that kraftwerk album called man-machine by any chance?
yep, thats the one. We Are The Robots, and The Model. It sounded so futuristic ! lol

I must get a copy and give it another listen, as i havent listened to it in yonks.

w.z.a
Regular
Regular

Post by w.z.a » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:11 pm

alex wrote:
was that kraftwerk album called man-machine by any chance?
yep, thats the one. We Are The Robots, and The Model. It sounded so futuristic ! lol

I must get a copy and give it another listen, as i havent listened to it in yonks.
You should. its one HOT album, the tracks "man machine", "metropolis" and "space lab" are my fave's.
its only a six tracker aswell !!!