What music were you into before 'oldskool' ?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
rich68
Regular
Regular

What music were you into before 'oldskool' ?

Post by rich68 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:09 pm

I was born in 1968 and my dad brought me up on Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin.

I loved punk and 2 Tone even though I was a kid.

Then it was the Cure, Echo and the Bunnymen, Joy Division and, later, skate punk (Suicidal Tendencies etc)

I listened to John Peel from 1983 and was into all the electro/rap stuff he played

I bought Trans-Europe Express by Kraftwerk when I was a nipper and loved The Human League up to Dare.

Not just blowing my trumpet here...

If anything, I'm having a pop at some of my oldskool mates who liked the Red Hot Chilli Peppers / guitar rock (ie NO synths)pre-91.

I used to get the piss ripped out of me for liking bleeps and wearing smiley t shirts. Fast forward a year and the fuckers are on stage at Labyrinth blowing whistles etc !!!!!!!!!

So I guess I had my eye on the whole thing from way back.

Whereas some peeps took an E and switched allegiances...

jesus...I'm even boring myself now................

whaddya reckon ?

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Re: What music were you into before 'oldskool' ?

Post by Traffic Cone » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:30 pm

From a totally different background...my turn to bore

Happy hardcore and gabba, personally. happy hardcore was the first music i was really into, when i was 12 or so...found out about gabba a bit later, and kept into that stuff until happy hardcore died out in 98-99. Got into trance - would have also still been into gabber but this was before i was on the net so couldn't really keep up with it. I also found out about lots of other electronic music, a lot of the time through buying cheap CDs. Doing this i found some old hardcore CDs from the mid 90s. An old Rezerection one being the first i remember. Soon after, my friends got cable modems and were on Napster, so I started burning CDs of old hardcore at theirs. This being old Scottish / Dutch stuff mainly, 94-95. Then, i got into breakbeat happy hardcore from the same time...and just gradually found out about the older stuff, which is my main love music wise, as well as gabba (which i got back into as soon as i got on the net properly).

I'd say that now I've fully investigated a lot of music, that really it's mostly old stuff I like - in every genre that I've found stuff I like, it's old that's my preference, it seems. Not just hardcore, but house, trance, hip hop...I just wish i was as old as some of the people on here (just for the musical experience, i mean!) :lol:

gregprowt
Regular
Regular

Post by gregprowt » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:38 pm

born in 74

dont remember too much of when is was under 11, I guess just what was in the charts, taping stuff of the radio

but from the 1st year of secondary school got into electro/breakdancing, pretty much then stayed with hip hop through the late 80's Public Enemy/Tuff Crew/NWA and then getting really into the british hip hop scene, then bomb da bass (remember going to see a gig)

then came along the Ragga Twins, remember hearing Spliffhead and just loving when the beat kicked in, lead onto getting into techno and loving all the samples/scratching used from the hip hop days on the early Topbuzz, Mickey Finn, Carl Cox sets

then came the e's :) and was hooked (well till early 93 anyway)

rich68
Regular
Regular

Post by rich68 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:46 pm

gregprowt wrote:born in 74

dont remember too much of when is was under 11, I guess just what was in the charts, taping stuff of the radio

but from the 1st year of secondary school got into electro/breakdancing, pretty much then stayed with hip hop through the late 80's Public Enemy/Tuff Crew/NWA and then getting really into the british hip hop scene, then bomb da bass (remember going to see a gig)

then came along the Ragga Twins, remember hearing Spliffhead and just loving when the beat kicked in, lead onto getting into techno and loving all the samples/scratching used from the hip hop days on the early Topbuzz, Mickey Finn, Carl Cox sets

then came the e's :) and was hooked (well till early 93 anyway)
Yeah man. I think the Ragga Twins were real important in kicking things off

gregprowt
Regular
Regular

Post by gregprowt » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:53 pm

Yeah man. I think the Ragga Twins were real important in kicking things off[/quote]

at the time I just thought it was another Hip Hop album I bought, but the beats and breaks where something different and as you say, it did kind of change things

fab album!!

J3D

Post by J3D » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:08 pm

oldskool (88 - 94) acid house ,House antherms , hardcore , jungle
happy hardcore (95 - 98) Quosh , Next gen ,slammin, essential platinum , KF
nu-nrg (96 - 98) ''MC sharkey , kev energy ,mark eg so on ''
hard house (99 - 01) ''tidy girls , tidy boys andy farley so on''
hard trance (01 - 03) ''judge jules , boy george , matt darey so on''

Only listen to oldskool now though
not been raving since about 2003 :( most events are bollox now anyways round my way

( ) = tunes from 'that era / year

jonny
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by jonny » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:28 pm

Born in 1971,grew up listening to T-Rex, Bowie and then likes, remember Disco and Punk,,always preferred Disco, still love Disco.

In the 1980's i liked it all from the new romantic to ska and the Jam,etc around 1987 i got into Heavy Metal :oops: :lol: loads did back then in fairness it was huge back then, around 1989n metal started to bore me a bit and id seen on the news about these Acid Party's and this intrigued me no end, i hadn't a clue what it was about but i was well into Acid House sound that was around then, 1990 changed all that when i went to my first Rave which changed my life forever.

I remember at Fun City in the Point in Dublin bumping into a geezer i know from my metal days, he used to wear leather jackets and have long hair and here he was dressed the same as me with flares, hoody tops and the crows nest haircut, 2 of us just looked at each other and laughed.

The rest as they say is history. ;)

Ross
Regular
Regular

Post by Ross » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:37 pm

I used to love Madness, The Specials, Bad Manners, and quite a bit of Ska. :oops:

I used to get a bit of stick for it.

I then started turning into a teenager in 1991, discovered hardcore and quickly forgot about all that 80's Ska.

rich68
Regular
Regular

Post by rich68 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:43 pm

Ross wrote:I used to love Madness, The Specials, Bad Manners, and quite a bit of Ska. :oops:

I used to get a bit of stick for it.

I then started turning into a teenager in 1991, discovered hardcore and quickly forgot about all that 80's Ska.

Mate of mine (old skool raver) plays guitar for Bad Manners now and again.

Nothing wrong with 2-tone / ska !

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:02 pm

Born in '73.

I was into Madness and the Specials, got into acid in '88 when I was in the 5th year at school. From there I got into Public Enemy and then hip hop in general. Shortly after I discovered Hip House and then Ital House and dance music. Then I had a brief flirtation with the baggy sound, Stone Roses/Happy Mondays/James etc.

Discovered Belgian techno in '90-'91 and never looked back. Been into hardcore ever since but turned to drum n bass after the split and then house in '94. I never lost my Hardcore.

w.z.a
Regular
Regular

Post by w.z.a » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:41 pm

Born in 74. taping of the radio from age 5!!!!! on my dads reel-to-reel till about age 12
(not reel-to-reel by then but still got all the tapes).
Started buying vinyl, got in to metal, metallica, iron maiden etc the moved to punk,
dead kennedys, misfits, then came the rap scene, run dmc, public enemy, de la soul etc,
left school in 1990 got in to loads of alternative/indie music, PWEI mainly,
but at the same time liked a bit of Altern-8 and prodigy.
My sister was listening to "New Dawn" radio shows and stu allan a bit,
got badly hooked in 93 to Picadilly key103 on a sunday night.
Started a Wants list for the first time in my life...............
My life was ruined...........

I still float aroung musically from time to time................funk n breaks.........hip hop like kool keith n stuff...........
Any old music i like, i go and buy(on vinyl obviously)
my collection is a mixed bag to say the least,
but I wouldn't spend loads of cash on anything but 92-94 hardcore.

alex
Regular
Regular

Post by alex » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:42 pm

Born in 72.

Ive always been into Electronic music. I was given a copy of a Kraftwerk album on tape when i was very young, probably no more than 8 or 9 and i loved that. Used to listen to it over and over.

Then early 80's electro came along, and breakdancing (not that i was any good at that, but i loved the music). Captain Rock, Wild Style anyone ??
Also well into Depeche Mode through the 80's, New Order (especially Blue Monday....fuckin great track), and other 80s synth bands like Yazoo.

I can remember being utterly amazed at the sound of Donna Summer - I Feel Love (Patrick Cowley Mix), which came out in 82 or 83. Simply stunning, and totally ground breaking track. Almost like the 1st techno track. I still play it these days.

Did get into stuff like U2, Simple Minds, INXS etc, and even 60s soul music, but electronic has always been where its at for me. When i first heard house music, in probably 86 or 87, stuff like Farley Jackmaster Funk, Steve Hurley, MARRS, Bomb The Bass, it all just clicked into place for me.

crugga
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by crugga » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:44 pm

Born in 1980, my dad was big into his rock so was listening to a lot of Fink floyd, The Who, Wishbone ash etc not allways by choice aswell as chart stuff. By choice listened to a lot dance stuff like Dmob and a bit of Manchester stuff through older mates aswell as the odd bit of house then hardcore in 92. Allways been a big music fan due to my dads vinyl addiction & my grandad playing in a jazz/brass band just sometimes wish i was a few years older.

w.z.a
Regular
Regular

Post by w.z.a » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:46 pm

Alex,

was that kraftwerk album called man-machine by any chance?
my dad forced that down me and my sisters ears for years on car journeys from about 1980 to 86.
I love it though. I had to buy it myself recently.

krakp0t
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by krakp0t » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:34 pm

there was music before oldskool?