Any goals (musically) for next year?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
retrospect
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Re: Any goals (musically) for next year?

Post by retrospect » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:41 am

Spend the entire 2 hours in the Jesus pose during my set as headline act at a huge event in Ibiza, having just had David Guetta as my warm up DJ. This would be after I had convinced the entire worldwide electronic dance community that we should all return to the sound and vibe of England circa 1991.

.... other than that, not a lot

pete.devnull
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by pete.devnull » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:18 pm

* Finish some new tunes, and mix/master them properly. I was lucky to have some (non-oldskool) tunes played in a few high profile mixes this year but was dismayed by how those tunes sounded in those mixes.

* Tighten up my mixing, no excuse for sneakers-in-the-dryer especially when doing a net radio show regularly

* more 8205!!! (new release info soon but some of the stuff that's been on the backburner for 2 years has gotta come out)

* Filter and get rid of at least 1000+ records. New record store opening down the street run by friends, even if I'm too lazy to sell online it'll be super easy to break stuff off for them.

dreamweave
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dreamweave » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:01 pm

Buy more Acid House vinyl and go to Defqon 1!

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:39 am

Ric wrote:Get much better at playing the piano.
Get much better at scratching.
Get much better at mixdowns.

In that order.
Hi Ric, these should help you with mixdowns:

http://edmprod.com/50-tips-mixdowns/
https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep11/ ... stakes.htm

... (point 9 in the 1st link) Filtering the bass off of everything, except either the kick or the bass will help a lot if you don't already do it.

(I too would love to be better at piano, currently learning the drums and practice almost every day, I will crack the drums, I doubt ever the piano)

Best : R

Ric
He never locked his car door

Post by Ric » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:08 am

RonWellsJS wrote:
Ric wrote:Get much better at playing the piano.
Get much better at scratching.
Get much better at mixdowns.

In that order.
Hi Ric, these should help you with mixdowns:

http://edmprod.com/50-tips-mixdowns/
https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep11/ ... stakes.htm

... (point 9 in the 1st link) Filtering the bass off of everything, except either the kick or the bass will help a lot if you don't already do it.

(I too would love to be better at piano, currently learning the drums and practice almost every day, I will crack the drums, I doubt ever the piano)

Best : R
Thanks for those Ron, I'll give them a read this evening.
I'd like to learn drums too one day and there's a lot of crossover between them really which may help...perhaps. I began learning aged 37 so it's slow going but I really enjoy it. I'm in no rush and accept that I'll never be as good as this guy, but if I do get this good I'll be growing my hair like his too :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8dszR2IUuA

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:28 am

Starting drums at 44 doesn't help either, but years of drum programing and slicing loops is a strong platform to start from... the actual playing and technique side is utterly soul destroying, 1 year on at 45 only just getting the hang of it with many years to go before being considered a real drummer.

Best of luck with piano... wonderful skill to have and I'll be envious of you if you crack it.

PRACTICE!!!

:-)

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:57 am

I think learning some music theory should be one of mine too, I am reasonable at using a DAW now but only to make Mickey Mouse music, could really do with learning proper chords etc.

Ric

Post by Ric » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:37 pm

Likewise Ron, best of luck mate. I play almost every day and have composed my own piece which I felt was a milestone (in C major... Played it safe)
Ed, it really does help once you begin understanding music better and how to use and manipulate chords. Inversions, suspended chords, relative minors etc. The more I learn the more I realise I don't know, if that makes sense - each new discovery leaves me with a whole new set of questions. My piano teacher's knowledge is truly enviable, he's an avalanche of information. I've begun to realise just how complex music is. I spend several hours working out an old rave piano riff and he listens to it once then plays it better than me and corrects my mistakes. I want that skill.

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:01 pm

Ric wrote:Likewise Ron, best of luck mate. I play almost every day and have composed my own piece which I felt was a milestone (in C major... Played it safe)
Ed, it really does help once you begin understanding music better and how to use and manipulate chords. Inversions, suspended chords, relative minors etc. The more I learn the more I realise I don't know, if that makes sense - each new discovery leaves me with a whole new set of questions. My piano teacher's knowledge is truly enviable, he's an avalanche of information. I've begun to realise just how complex music is. I spend several hours working out an old rave piano riff and he listens to it once then plays it better than me and corrects my mistakes. I want that skill.
Like your teacher Paul Clarke can replay almost anything by ear, riffs chords & drums.

silky
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by silky » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:04 am

Can you imagine what Old Skool would of been like if the producers back then all had Music Theory? Now there's a thought.

Even a fraction of it can help massively in your own music. Never too old to learn a new instrument or to study the fundamentals. :wink:

Beatgraphter_v_1.0
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Beatgraphter_v_1.0 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:55 pm

Too many as Music/Production/DJ'ing is my best hobby ever!

Something along the lines of:

Put on more events (Distant Planet) got 2 in the pipeline if all goes well
Build audience for Distant Planet TV which is a new venture streaming live DJ's with Audio/Video
Play more gigs *fingers crossed* so this involves doing more promo mixes and getting them out there
Actually get some tracks finished with the mountain of hardware me and my partner have
Get more records this has been something been going on for years
Improve mixing/production techniques

lien
B2VOS VIP 2011
B2VOS VIP 2011

Post by lien » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:19 pm

I want to do a garage track..... & finish it!

https://soundcloud.com/djlien/is-there-anybody-out-there

Something along the lines of this. Tho I know its never going to happen! ;)

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:39 pm

Mute Cheryl Cole ](*,)