Great tunes/remixes that SS managed to ruin with a...

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Re: Great tunes/remixes that SS managed to ruin with a...

Post by RonWellsJS » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:43 am

eazyflow wrote:
Maybe it just sounds wrong to my ears :wink:
Yeah it's out alright... Pad sound may have been a sample that wasn't tuned before use, putting a keyboard piano pre-set over the top would probably explain it.

He certainly smashed it plenty of times though didn't he, good DJ.

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:35 am

I wonder whether I have subconsciously tuned it out after hearing it so many times! Had that one since 93 and it's a personal fave, will never look at it in the same way again :'(

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:10 am

The truth is not many people are musically literate (myself included) so what sounds terrible to a finer ear sounds just fine to most people. I think most people can spot a bum note or things that are out of time, but you need some musical theory knowledge to spot the more subtle problems.

retrospect
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by retrospect » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:50 am

dj jedi wrote:The truth is not many people are musically literate (myself included) so what sounds terrible to a finer ear sounds just fine to most people. I think most people can spot a bum note or things that are out of time, but you need some musical theory knowledge to spot the more subtle problems.
Agreed. Once your ear has been trained you are able to pick up notes and melodies that deviate from the training you have received. While many think this makes them more musically literate, I dont think this is necessarily a good thing. There are many styles of music that would be considered "out of tune" by the rules of western music - such as classical indian & chinese music. It's possible musicians just get used to the chords and associated notes they are taught and anything that falls outside of these "rules" is considered out of tune. They fail to realise there are no rules in music. I heard an interview with Cosey Fanni Tutti where she said she didnt like working with classically trained musicians as their minds were too closed and couldnt accept that things outside of their training could work out alright.

Fizza
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Fizza » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:13 pm

Says it all really :)

eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by eazyflow » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:29 am

retrospect wrote:
dj jedi wrote:The truth is not many people are musically literate (myself included) so what sounds terrible to a finer ear sounds just fine to most people. I think most people can spot a bum note or things that are out of time, but you need some musical theory knowledge to spot the more subtle problems.
Agreed. Once your ear has been trained you are able to pick up notes and melodies that deviate from the training you have received. While many think this makes them more musically literate, I dont think this is necessarily a good thing. There are many styles of music that would be considered "out of tune" by the rules of western music - such as classical indian & chinese music. It's possible musicians just get used to the chords and associated notes they are taught and anything that falls outside of these "rules" is considered out of tune. They fail to realise there are no rules in music. I heard an interview with Cosey Fanni Tutti where she said she didnt like working with classically trained musicians as their minds were too closed and couldnt accept that things outside of their training could work out alright.
I'm not sure you need to be a classically trained musician to realise when something sounds out of tune. I imagine that most people who DJ on here will know to avoid key clashes for example as it just sounds nasty...

I do get your point about how this can sometimes work in a tunes favour though. Loads of 93 darkside stuff benefits from being slightly off-kilter. Definitely helps add to the whole unsettling atmosphere of it all. And as other people have mentioned already, the randomness and DIY nature of this music are all part of what makes it so unique :)