Seeing as the youth of today are...

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
User avatar
The_Ruffneck
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 6:06 am
Location: Australia

Re: Seeing as the youth of today are...

Post by The_Ruffneck » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:37 pm

Restless wrote:Nobody had step haircuts in '96? Nah, just nearly every 11-16 year old, along with curtains, buddy...

I actually had one back then - as did most kids I knew from school and out of school.

And it's not that bad because I notice it now; it's NEVER been as bad. Like I said, there's been elements - but now everything is geared towards being retro.

Now it's haircut, clothes, music and cars. It's used to be bots an bobs before - now it's full blown.
I think alot of them pick it up from youtube.I don't really play video games anymore but i follow a few retro video gaming chans on youtube and they have huge followings.Prices for these vintage games are insane nowdays, many of the kids want to own/collect something physical because so much stuff is digital now.

User avatar
eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy
Posts: 2518
Joined: Sat May 10, 2003 1:25 pm
Location: Hull

Re: Seeing as the youth of today are...

Post by eazyflow » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:37 pm

DFTRF5DF wrote:
as for the style now being a lot like 1996 then I would disagree as nobody in 96 had wedge haircuts or step haircuts like they do now as they were considered wack. that was more an early 90s haircut, but I guess it's all relative.
People were still repping the curtains a few years later than that up North. I know as someone who rocked that look far longer than I should have :oops:

User avatar
Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy
Posts: 3447
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:53 pm

Re: Seeing as the youth of today are...

Post by Restless » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:53 pm

The_Ruffneck wrote:
Restless wrote:Nobody had step haircuts in '96? Nah, just nearly every 11-16 year old, along with curtains, buddy...

I actually had one back then - as did most kids I knew from school and out of school.

And it's not that bad because I notice it now; it's NEVER been as bad. Like I said, there's been elements - but now everything is geared towards being retro.

Now it's haircut, clothes, music and cars. It's used to be bots an bobs before - now it's full blown.
I think alot of them pick it up from youtube.I don't really play video games anymore but i follow a few retro video gaming chans on youtube and they have huge followings.Prices for these vintage games are insane nowdays, many of the kids want to own/collect something physical because so much stuff is digital now.
Yep. Some games from back then (some that weren't even popular or decent, too) fetch SILLY MONEY.

User avatar
retrospect
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:53 pm
Location: Concrete Jungle, S.E. England

Re: Seeing as the youth of today are...

Post by retrospect » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:33 pm

I've heard people say there's a 90's style & fashion revival, but ive not seen it yet. The only thing i've noticed is more bright colours being worn than a few years ago. Other than that the clothes that are in fashion now look nothing like what was being worn in the 90's. The shape and style of clothes i see young people wearing are polar opposite to what i saw in the early 90s. Not seen any baggy jeans, bomber or flight jackets and no centre parting haircuts. Am i missing something?

Here's a good example, none of these clothes look 90's to me:
http://fashionfinder.asos.com/fashion-t ... neties-452

User avatar
AtomSmasher
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master
Posts: 1693
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: Watford. Unfortunately!
Contact:

Re: Seeing as the youth of today are...

Post by AtomSmasher » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:43 pm

We were wandering around Spitalfields at the weekend and ended up in a vintage market on Brick Lane.....
One of the stalls had a whole rack of button-down Ralph Lauren shirts, the likes of which i hadn't seen since 1995. All the colours of the rainbow!

But to the point above - i agree. 'Neon Nineties'? Fuck off!

But it is worth considering that different age ranges and scenes in the 90s would dress pretty differently...
I started off wearing standard rave / sports wear but by 1996 I always wore vintage 70s style clothes when i went out whereas most of my mates wore Ralph style shirts and mole skin trousers. I had long hair, they had crops. Younger kids still had undercuts.
Checked shirts. Checked strides. YSL shirts.

User avatar
retrospect
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:53 pm
Location: Concrete Jungle, S.E. England

Re: Seeing as the youth of today are...

Post by retrospect » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:53 pm

AtomSmasher wrote: But it is worth considering that different age ranges and scenes in the 90s would dress pretty differently...
Good point, since i made the above post, i've wasted an hour or so looking for 90s inspired current fashions on the web. From what i can make out, it's more of 90's American skater look mixed with a bit of Fresh Prince of Bel Air weirdness - which is totally different to the british rave/jungle style most of us would have been wearing back then. (I need to stop talking like some kind of Jeff Banks twat)

User avatar
Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy
Posts: 3447
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:53 pm

Re: Seeing as the youth of today are...

Post by Restless » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:23 pm

retrospect wrote:I've heard people say there's a 90's style & fashion revival, but ive not seen it yet. The only thing i've noticed is more bright colours being worn than a few years ago. Other than that the clothes that are in fashion now look nothing like what was being worn in the 90's. The shape and style of clothes i see young people wearing are polar opposite to what i saw in the early 90s. Not seen any baggy jeans, bomber or flight jackets and no centre parting haircuts. Am i missing something?

Here's a good example, none of these clothes look 90's to me:
http://fashionfinder.asos.com/fashion-t ... neties-452
Ellesse, New Balance, Le Coq Sportif are absolutely massive now.

Tons of old brands are doing well and the hair-do that Ryan Giggs had in the 90's (curls, lots of them) id the most popular hair-cut now. It's 1994 out there, believe!

Locked