Seeing as the youth of today are...

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Seeing as the youth of today are...

Post by Restless » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:31 am

Hooked on the whole "Revival" thing (fashion, haircuts, music, cars of yesteryear etc), have you moved on from what you used to wear/haircut you used to have etc or are you still rocking it?

Example: A mate of mine used to have "curtains" (the hair-do). Not anymore, but he still rocks Ellesse, New Balance, Diadora, Fila etc, proper old brands. And LOVES old Rovers! Hahaha.

Seeing as the kids of today take their influence from the generation of yesterday, is their still some things vintage that you have/wear etc today?

I'd have posted this in the off topic section but it's dead down there...

DFTRF5DF
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Re: Seeing as the youth of today are...

Post by DFTRF5DF » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:23 am

it's not just the youth of today. it has always happened. fashion, haircuts, music etc. always goes in cycles and each generation puts their own twist on it. it's just at the moment the 1990's fashion, haircuts etc. are coming back in a big way. and yes dare I say it I am slowly seeing the curtain haircut creeping its way back in as the side partings are slowly moving to the middle, but anyone over the age of 25 trying this look will look like a complete donut and will be pointed at and laughed at.

my nephew is 14 and his teacher recently asked the class what time in history would they most like to go back to and almost all of them said the 1990's. and no I wouldn't wear any 1990's style of clothes or haircut now as I would look like a mackerel.

The_Ruffneck
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by The_Ruffneck » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:55 pm

I doubt kids nowdays would last long in the 90's.
They can't go 2 minutes without using a smartphone and an Apple Newton just doesn't cut it.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:49 pm

DFTRF5DF wrote:it's not just the youth of today. it has always happened. fashion, haircuts, music etc. always goes in cycles and each generation puts their own twist on it. it's just at the moment the 1990's fashion, haircuts etc. are coming back in a big way. and yes dare I say it I am slowly seeing the curtain haircut creeping its way back in as the side partings are slowly moving to the middle, but anyone over the age of 25 trying this look will look like a complete donut and will be pointed at and laughed at.

my nephew is 14 and his teacher recently asked the class what time in history would they most like to go back to and almost all of them said the 1990's. and no I wouldn't wear any 1990's style of clothes or haircut now as I would look like a mackerel.
I know that, but it's never been this bad.

There's been elements before (i.e.: music sounding like retro music), but it's in FULL SWING now.

Undercut, Rover, clothes from the 90's, music - it's actually like being in 1996 at times.

Richruffcut
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Richruffcut » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:21 pm

I don't have the same haircut as i did in the 90s nor do i wear the same clothes as back then but i do drive a car from the 90s

LOON-E
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by LOON-E » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:06 pm

Funny you should mention it..but before "Hardcore" (yep im that fuckin old ;) )i rocked a mohie hairdo (still do mostly) rode a vespa and listened too punk/psychobilly, back in june i had a stab of nostalgia n bought a siezed knackered classic vespa to play about with as a project..6 month and shed loads of cash later its about half way too being a full blown show bike..but ive gone for a oldskool rave theme with it (should piss the scooter purists off when i show it off )...so i reckon im def stuck in the past :)
Couple of months ago a local crew (some i hadnt seen for yrs) had a reunion party n i couldnt resist wearing my Diehard Ma1 jacket..gotta be nr 20r old :)

LOON-E

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:20 pm

Stussy, I got my first T in America in 92 and have been rocking their gear ever since (even though its not run by Shawn anymore). Their designs have been a bit dry this year, havent bought much that I remember but I've got a nice little stash of stuff now! Always been great quality.

jonny
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by jonny » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:08 pm

Obviously as a man of 44 years old id look incredibly stupid with the same haircut (curtains) i had in the 90's :lol: but to this day i'm still into retro clobber like Fila (track tops and the iconic trail blazers although i very rarely wear the trailblazers) since i got my schott MA2 jacket last year i've worn it quite often and ive got some looks from people who i suspect are old skoolers as you very rarely ever see anyone wearing one of these jackets anymore whereas in the early/mid 90's in Dublin these jackets were absolute platinum on the rave scene so much so that cheap cunts used to steal the schott badge which was just velcro and stitch it onto cheap bomber jackets so people actually used to get the schott badge sewn on lol, but yeah i mismatch my style with a combination of old and new, i have a few holy grails ill probably never get but ill continue to keep my eye out like a Daniel Poole world sound systems hoody or t-shirt, Chipie jeans, anything by Destroy John Richmond and a Michiko Koshino bomber jacket.

jonny
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by jonny » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:15 pm

This is my Schott jacket, i still think it looks the absolute business, as i said many people ive seen have taken a double take when they've seen me wear it (they have to be old skoolers there's no other excuse for it lol)

There's an old skool night on this Saturday and ill be wearing it.

jonny
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by jonny » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:18 pm

DFTRF5DF wrote: my nephew is 14 and his teacher recently asked the class what time in history would they most like to go back to and almost all of them said the 1990's. a

true story, a lot of young lads i know from the area or mates younger brothers often remark on how they would have loved to have been around during the glory days of Rave, that will probably be us old timers being all sentimental and them listening thinking wow what did we miss.:)

MJS57
Regular
Regular

Post by MJS57 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:41 am

Saw a lad with a proper undercut on the train last night, he must of been about 17/18 I reckon. I seem to grow my hair long every 10 years or so, and that time has come again now I'm hitting 40, and I still wear lumberjack shirts that Pearl Jam would have been proud of. None of it is intentionally retro, just what I am comfortable with. Had a 90's Subaru WRX for 7 years, someone smacked into it and wrote it off two years ago. If they hadn't I'd probably still be driving it now! Bought an 09 plate Alfa, and just want that Subaru back (apart from the fuel bills).

The 90's was the last iconic decade, before the internet was everywhere, before mobile phones were everywhere. Before nearly every car being a diesel and/or a massive SUV.

The 90's had an identity, and was also the last decade of massive bands, with massive record company budgets before the MP3 and before the record industry went totally down the pan. Think of stadium bands, they are all bands that were massive in the 90's or before, Metallica, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, GnR, Nirvana, even Slipknot.

I think that 90's identity, be it Rave, Grunge, Indie or Metal is really appealing to the yoof of today, who don't have 'their' own scene. And I think they don't have their own scene partly because the way media has changed. There is no real record industry, and the media landscape, and how kids consume media, has changed so drastically since the 90's. There is a massive lack of commonality, whereas in the 90's we'd all watch blackadder/red dwarf on bbc2/c4 because there was only 4 tv channels and no internet, and every kid the next day would talk about it at school (at my school at least). We'd hang out at record shops, or gigs, or raves or whatever. Scene's would occur around commonality, and hanging out. I don't see that aspect of social interaction that could/would create a unique scene for kids. It's all been done before....and retro is cool right? Maybe kids like that 90's retro thing because it is so opposed to how their lives are now, with internet, social media and smartphones etc. Which yoof wouldn't think the decade that bought us Mario/Sonic & Street Fighter was cool?

I'm rambling now, but this is my take on it all, and I do find it fascinating....sorry.

You can get Global Hypercolor t-shirts on Amazon, they WERE cool!

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:54 am

rage wrote:Stussy, I got my first T in America in 92 and have been rocking their gear ever since
ha - i've got a soft spot for stussy from a pan-America trip the year before.

in fact, my stussy (flowerpot men style) hat sort of became 'the' party hat as it kinda got passed around mates over the early years of partying. no idea why. just messiness i guess and whoever had it on last took it home, then they took ownership for a while.

i fucking loved that hat!!! :biggrin: it had a lot of raving experience :lol: \:D/

my favourite was a white stussy sweatshirt i had for years. like at least 15 years. i was so gutted when that died. i have not got any stussy gear now but if i ever saw a top like that again i would buy it instantly!

PS. also had a DP top with a barcode that was my fav for years... another sad loss. RIP :sad:

Stussy73
New User
New User

Post by Stussy73 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:27 am

^ all of this. Got my first Stussy tee in 1990 and have worn them ever since. It even got mentioned in my best man's speech. The missus hates it coming back, says it looks like I'm trying to be a youngster!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

DFTRF5DF
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by DFTRF5DF » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:31 am

Restless wrote:
DFTRF5DF wrote:it's not just the youth of today. it has always happened. fashion, haircuts, music etc. always goes in cycles and each generation puts their own twist on it. it's just at the moment the 1990's fashion, haircuts etc. are coming back in a big way. and yes dare I say it I am slowly seeing the curtain haircut creeping its way back in as the side partings are slowly moving to the middle, but anyone over the age of 25 trying this look will look like a complete donut and will be pointed at and laughed at.

I know that, but it's never been this bad.

There's been elements before (i.e.: music sounding like retro music), but it's in FULL SWING now.

Undercut, Rover, clothes from the 90's, music - it's actually like being in 1996 at times.
the reason why you think it's never been this bad is because you notice it a lot more now because you are older and actually lived through the 90s.

what about the original hip hop/b-boys from the 80s. what must they have thought when they suddenly started seeing all the teenagers in the 2000s wearing full on tracksuits, wearing cheap gold from Argos with short cropped hair blasting out the latest hip hop through their phones. just the way the original hip hop/b-boys used to wear full on tracksuits blasting the latest hip hop through their boomboxes. like Liam Howlett used to do in Chelmsford shopping precinct in the 80s.

as for the style now being a lot like 1996 then I would disagree as nobody in 96 had wedge haircuts or step haircuts like they do now as they were considered wack. that was more an early 90s haircut, but I guess it's all relative.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:33 am

Nobody had step haircuts in '96? Nah, just nearly every 11-16 year old, along with curtains, buddy...

I actually had one back then - as did most kids I knew from school and out of school.

And it's not that bad because I notice it now; it's NEVER been as bad. Like I said, there's been elements - but now everything is geared towards being retro.

Now it's haircut, clothes, music and cars. It's used to be bots an bobs before - now it's full blown.