Fusion This Saturday

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: Fusion This Saturday

Post by rage » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:34 pm

Musically the main room wasn't what I would have hoped for but I was prepared for it and determined to enjoy myself regardless. Found a nice spot and spent a fair amount of the night in there dancing away. So much for Phantasy's old skool set, played about 3 tracks then switched to upfront Jump Up which I made the most out of getting close to the front even though its not my kind of DnB. I noticed when Dougal took over from Phantasy he cleared the floor! Not as bad as Ratty at the last one, but it definitely thinned out for a while. The DnB room was rocking, saw Nicky Blackmarket when we got in and another DJ later on, cant remember who but he was pretty decent with MC Fearless. We went up there for the last hour and Randall who finally gave me some music that I was after, playing deep and rowdy beats. The atmosphere in there was wicked, great way to end the night. Caught a couple of the DJs in room 3, few proper 92-3 tunes dropped in there. Frost didnt show.

Some really messy people. I felt really sorry for one guy, he came up and tried to rest his pint on a ledge, but was clearly seeing double as he missed the ledge by at least 5 inches and the beer poured all over the floor. He then attempted to drink some water and spilled that everywhere too. At this point he decided to get his wallet out, I was interested to see what he had planned for his next trick but he must have come to his senses as he managed to get it back in his pocket before stumbling off.

Overall I had a brilliant night, much much better than I was expecting on the run up to it so very glad I went. Hopefully there will be more 92-3 at the next one as it was sorely missed by me!

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:35 pm

I reckon the events will go pure Happy with a dash of Jungle in the main now.

You have to understand that the '91-'92 sound is stone dead at events like this. They go down really good until Happy/Jungle etc comes on and that's when the real party starts... Saw it happen at all the main nights.

I mean, Fusion started when Happy was booming, so why would it bother with anything previous?

For the purpose of variety, I'd love to hear oldskool. But music at Hardcore/Jungle/D&B tempos is massive in that part of the country, hence me saying it'll head that way.

I deffo want to get to one next year though!

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:04 pm

Restless wrote: Fusion started when Happy was booming, so why would it bother with anything previous?
They started in 92, Portsmouth Guildhall.

I don't think that era is dead in a rave like that at all, its the best dance music out there it just needs a wiser selection. I mean don't come on at a prime time 11:30 slot after 2 hours of Happy Hardcore and start your set with Drummer of Doom, nice enough tune but it's never going to send a crowd wild at any time, its a 3am track at best and I saw the crowd dispersing before he even got his first mix in. I was talking to my mate about this exact same thing, a wiser DJ would have looked at the situation and thought about how they could switch to their kind of music, maybe started with a well known 92-3 piano track, Sunny Side Up remix for example to get a good reaction, get the crowd onside then take the music in their own direction after a few tracks. If not a piano track then something like Dance Factor, something at least with a bit of energy!

Like I say Krome and Time smashed it doing this, Manic Stampede into This Sound.. obvious tracks yeah but they had the crowd eating out of the palm of their hands after that. The problem is when DJs start playing for themselves or to look cool rather than remembering they are there to entertain and adapting to the situation.

Would definitely recommend coming to one anyway. I had a feeling beforehand this may be the last one but it was very busy and from all the Facebook chatter seems to have been a great success.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:22 am

I agree.

It can work, but it's taking two steps backwards to go four steps forwards. And sometimes events just happen to be having it at 11pm. If that's the case, and it's FAST music (as I described) as the cause of that, then what do you do? You've gotta carry on really...

I saw Jason Kaye do it, but it took a good half hour to get the crowd back to where it was when he started (Pointless? Then again he got booked to play oldskool and it was great to hear the sound at an "oldskool" event, seeing as it was the only set that was f*cking jungle etc) and he rocked it. So, yeah, it can work, but boy does it take effort.

Reminds me of the oldskool room at HTID and the SV events. They'd have their fair share of oldskool - now there's literally none at all.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:15 am

Yep Rage is exactly right, you can have 91-99+ hardcore in the same room, I did it for 3 years at my events and it rarely thinned out when the style changed. The key is playing the right kind of music. You can't drop darkcore straight after a happy hardcore set, just like you can't start playing 200bpm gabber after a 91 set. The DJ has to use a bit of common sense and ease the crowd in to the new style and tempo.

This is why I always take a broad range of BPM tracks with me, you can either start slow and build up or start fast and slow down depending on the set before you. Plus the beauty of 92-93 hardcore is the variety, it would be hard to pack a bag of tunes that didn't have a single piano or vocal track in it!

There are also plenty of slow tracks that 'sound' fast just because they're so energetic, Manic Stampede is a good example.

Richruffcut
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Richruffcut » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:12 pm

All very good points. For me Ratty is what i would call a stubborn dj it has also got to be down to the organizers as well. He is never going to change his style (even tho he should) so to put him on after Dougal just seems mad. I would love to see the djs build over the evening i think planning is a big part. One good thing about the events is i can't remember hearing the same tune twice or more in a night unlike the fantazia events i went to a few years back which really bugs me.

Paul Zykotik
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Paul Zykotik » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:31 pm

rage wrote:Some really messy people. I felt really sorry for one guy, he came up and tried to rest his pint on a ledge, but was clearly seeing double as he missed the ledge by at least 5 inches and the beer poured all over the floor. He then attempted to drink some water and spilled that everywhere too. At this point he decided to get his wallet out, I was interested to see what he had planned for his next trick but he must have come to his senses as he managed to get it back in his pocket before stumbling off.
Sounds like Traffic Cone had a good night :biggrin:

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:24 pm

Richruffcut wrote:I would love to see the djs build over the evening i think planning is a big part.
This is something I've noticed the likes of Fusion and Moondance do more recently, cram as many sets in to the night as they can. Does anybody really want to see two DJs back to back for 45 minutes? That's 22 minutes each, about 4 or 5 records! what a waste of their time. Are punters really so thick that they won't go to an event unless there are 25 DJs on the flyer?

I much prefer both playing and watching longer sets, why not book 4 or 5 headliners and give them 90 minutes each. You never see more than two or three headline DJs on a house or techno line up, so why do raves need to have 20?

dreamweave
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dreamweave » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:16 pm

Some really valid points here, I would prefer to have less Dj's and longer sets and more money spent on production. Fusion looked wicked, shame there was not a better sound system in the main room as got extra Function one in the DnB Room but it was ok. May be by putting some oldskool on earlier in the night would work, as previously stated Ratty cleared the dance floor due to the massive drop in BPM and style but Ellis Dee's set went down ok. It would work better to build up over the evening so the crowd can work into the night. Thats why I love Easygroove's sets, especially Dreamscape 20, started happy, then went into jungle and some tearing rotterdam records type stuff at the end. A massive well done to Fusion though as it was a top night.

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:55 pm

I think it's definitely true that having the right start to a set in a new style is important. Most DJs playing happy now don't really pitch it up like everyone used to in the 90s, so a decent 92 set doesn't need to be *that* much slower. But at the end of the day, there are plenty of people who like oldskool who will always dislike happy hc, so it's inevitable that the reverse will also be true, they are effectively separate styles of music after all :)
dj jedi wrote: Are punters really so thick that they won't go to an event unless there are 25 DJs on the flyer?
yes? :lol:

To be honest, long sets suit house and techno a lot more. i'm not going to say the DJs take you on more of a journey, because I'm not a total cunt, but it does suit a gradual build a lot more. Plus they don't have the MCs.

I think there are hardcore DJs who could do a good 3 hour set, but even then maybe that wouldn't be as popular in a bigger rave. I suspect the rave audience (especially at an oldskool rave) want the energy levels to stay high throughout, and have less patience for more unfamiliar or different tunes. But they would probably tire of someone just playing flat out anthems for 3 hours, so shorter sets with more breaks for last tune and between sets allow for that energy.

That said an hour is still probably preferable to 45 minutes.

Could be worse, I've seen lineups for ridiculous huge Euro raves with people doing 25 minute sets :lol:

alphawave ep
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by alphawave ep » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:51 pm

Interesting to hear these reviews... I knew this event was on and i was even staying the night in Bournemouth that night.... I really couldn't decide to go or not.. But i was worried about hearing Toytown or Baby D a million times.. I knew about Easygroove i think his mum died last week,but i would of been more tempted to go if him and Ratty were there...

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:42 am

Richruffcut wrote:All very good points. For me Ratty is what i would call a stubborn dj it has also got to be down to the organizers as well. He is never going to change his style (even tho he should) so to put him on after Dougal just seems mad. I would love to see the djs build over the evening i think planning is a big part. One good thing about the events is i can't remember hearing the same tune twice or more in a night unlike the fantazia events i went to a few years back which really bugs me.
Mate! I've seen Ratty have a full house and clear it because he just doesn't play to the crowd anymore or because of what he is booked for ('93) just isn't popular (his style anyway).

He came on after The Ratpack a few years ago at "Flashback" (Q Club) and had a PACKED OUT main arena. He could have put on some '92 and straight up MURDERED IT. Instead? Well, he played '93 and the crowds left in their droves... It's a shame, but either play to the crowd (adapt, and pee off the promoters! hehe) or make sure the promoter knows what they're doing.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:46 am

dj jedi wrote:
Richruffcut wrote:I would love to see the djs build over the evening i think planning is a big part.
This is something I've noticed the likes of Fusion and Moondance do more recently, cram as many sets in to the night as they can. Does anybody really want to see two DJs back to back for 45 minutes? That's 22 minutes each, about 4 or 5 records! what a waste of their time. Are punters really so thick that they won't go to an event unless there are 25 DJs on the flyer?

I much prefer both playing and watching longer sets, why not book 4 or 5 headliners and give them 90 minutes each. You never see more than two or three headline DJs on a house or techno line up, so why do raves need to have 20?
Seems to be the thing now, mate. Quantity over Quality (although Fusion clearly doesn't skimp on the latter!), I know what you mean. ;-)

I'd rather have 5-6 headliners and let them take us on a journey/get creative etc. I'm sure they'd relish a 2 hour set just for creative reasons (not having to anthem bash for half hour!). But that's just me!

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:14 am

Paul Zykotik wrote:
rage wrote:Some really messy people. I felt really sorry for one guy, he came up and tried to rest his pint on a ledge, but was clearly seeing double as he missed the ledge by at least 5 inches and the beer poured all over the floor. He then attempted to drink some water and spilled that everywhere too. At this point he decided to get his wallet out, I was interested to see what he had planned for his next trick but he must have come to his senses as he managed to get it back in his pocket before stumbling off.
Sounds like Traffic Cone had a good night :biggrin:
:lol: Listen, any night where I remember to keep my wallet is a good one \:D/

dial1
Regular
Regular

Post by dial1 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:08 pm

Traffic Cone wrote:I think it's definitely true that having the right start to a set in a new style is important. Most DJs playing happy now don't really pitch it up like everyone used to in the 90s, so a decent 92 set doesn't need to be *that* much slower. But at the end of the day, there are plenty of people who like oldskool who will always dislike happy hc, so it's inevitable that the reverse will also be true, they are effectively separate styles of music after all :)
dj jedi wrote: Are punters really so thick that they won't go to an event unless there are 25 DJs on the flyer?
yes? :lol:

To be honest, long sets suit house and techno a lot more. i'm not going to say the DJs take you on more of a journey, because I'm not a total ****, but it does suit a gradual build a lot more. Plus they don't have the MCs.

I think there are hardcore DJs who could do a good 3 hour set, but even then maybe that wouldn't be as popular in a bigger rave. I suspect the rave audience (especially at an oldskool rave) want the energy levels to stay high throughout, and have less patience for more unfamiliar or different tunes. But they would probably tire of someone just playing flat out anthems for 3 hours, so shorter sets with more breaks for last tune and between sets allow for that energy.

That said an hour is still probably preferable to 45 minutes.

Could be worse, I've seen lineups for ridiculous huge Euro raves with people doing 25 minute sets :lol:
And this is why house and techno has managed to remain relatively consistent for me where the more conventionally rave-y spectrum was practically dead for me around 2000, after techstep died and and frenchcore started using that annoying off-beat bass, even labels like Epiteth.

There's only ever so many anthems one can make before you kind of escape the idea of dance music and the music becomes more like a regressive rock concert. Funk wasn't always about anthems, neither was electro, and neither is/was jazz. It's groove based music, once you take away the groove, you're just left with an undanceable flat grid. All dance musics worldwide are based on groove.

To this day you can still fit some 93-94 era basement and formation and even the non-jungle techno darkcore in a techno set because it's not about the clichés being force-fed at you without reprieve.

You have to remember that where this music began, chicago, there were sometimes 14+ hour or weekend long parties. In Berlin this is still the case.

You can evolve away from that ethos (as the techno scene in the UK has had to do) but after a certain point it stops really being related to house music culture, as the happy stuff and ragga jungle isn't.