Best & Worst you've DJ'ed at?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:20 pm

Best venue, night and city?

Worst venue, night and city?

lien
B2VOS VIP 2011
B2VOS VIP 2011

Re: Best & Worst you've DJ'ed at?

Post by lien » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:44 pm

Lock Up B2B with Rizzla is one of my best Dj experience, just because we both played what we wanted to do.... Plus anyone who went to a Lock Up would know how great the vibe was :)

1997 at some place in Chatham near to the gun shop, I died on my arse.... I mean to the point I gave up. Fück was that a hard crowd. They wanted anthem bashing & played a proper underground set as thats all I had.

Richruffcut
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Richruffcut » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:50 pm

Best: A local festival with two thousand people propa going for it.

Worst: A club in Bournemouth called Sound Circus with about ten people and nobody dancing

chunkstar
Regular
Regular

Post by chunkstar » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:11 pm

Best: the main room of the legendary Q club in Birmingham way back in January 96. The night was called Bubble Club and was a techno/electronica event. I played the first set of the night from 9 till 12 (yes a whole 3hrs, you're lucky if you get a 40min set these days) so I got to watch that epic arena fill up from top to bottom and go mental to the tunes I was playing (I was so nervous).
It is a memory that will stay with me forever.

Worst: May this year, travelled all the way to Newquay for a gig at Berties night club on the bank holiday weekend, it was an oldskool night, once again i/we (I'm part of a trio called Midland Breakz) ended up playing for 3hrs but the only person who turned up who was booked was MC Express, all the other DJ's no showed, not one punter turned up and the promotor pretty much did a runner so we ended not getting paid either for all that effort! (Was my birthday weekend too!).

LOON-E
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by LOON-E » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:12 pm

Cheers Lien..the Lock Up parties were awesome times me n Rippa still get out a bit..we should throw another really :),,for me best..maybe the last rez in newcastle a few yrs ago..got too play a full on set too a room full of up for it party people alongside Bass Generator and LoftGroover..was off my head n smashed it :)
Worst..prob being booked too play for hyperbolic..the promotor i know and get on with ok..told me it was a vortex night (bitd they were the hyperbolic hard techno events) and they were looking at having scorpio/producer b2b headlining..saw the flyer a few wks b4 the event and Druid was the headliner..all gd i thought..played after 2 upfront hardcore dj,s when all i had in my bag was banging early deathchant/area 51 tunes..plaayed too a very empty dancefloor that complained i was too fast ;)..still had a laff but never again

LOON-E

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:40 am

Best: It probably would have to be Notting Hill Carnival at some point in the mid-90s @ our old pitch Southern Row / East Row. We still had our Bedford MK army truck & the park still existed in entirety next to our pitch (they built a sports pitch and buildings on half of it later). We had properly got going as a sound system by the mid-90's. I just remember East Row & the park being rammed... lots of grinning... lots of rushes. Not the polished rig that we have these days either - a sort of mish-mash of hand built speakers; all of our crew there - from the decor girls (thank you ladies!) to the tv man (mr jellytree) & most importantly a large contingent of party-goers from our local area too (this has diminished over the years but we still have a fair contingent -> actually what is great about this is now the kids are turning up there too! :biggrin: =D> )..... Proper! \:D/

Worst: Playing at The Fridge after a later NHC. For some reason we thought it would be a good idea. We walked out of Carnival with a record box apiece. By the time we got to Brixton we were shagged. Get in there - usual setup - fuct mixer (ie. no xfader) & no monitors! We had to mix off the main rig which must've had at least a second delay. Oh - and the place was pretty much empty but we felt obliged to stay and finish our set. God only knows why? Serious come down after a wicked daytime. Daft idea :sad:

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:20 am

So many bad ones :lol: I've lost count of the amount of empty rooms I've played to, but you really never know what it's going to be like until you get there, even if it's a big event.

One that springs to mind is an event in Exeter in 2002 that Dougal was headlining, it was literally empty. He was playing to nobody, apart from his girlfriend at the time (Jenna of Heart of Gold fame) who was dancing on her own :lol: Did have a good chat with him though! I got a lift there with MC Marley who was supposed to be MCing, but as it was empty he didn't bother. I didn't get paid either. It's very annoying to drive for hours to play to an empty room and to top it off not get any money. But it's happened dozens of times over the years.

On the plus side there have been many good ones too. Probably my proudest was the first time I played at The Manor in Bournemouth in 1999. I did the warm up set in the D&B room, and Brockie was on after me. I was only 17 at the time so it was completely mind blowing. I had been raving there for a couple of years before and it's still my favourite club of all time, so I'm very proud to have had the chance to play there before it got knocked down.

dreamweave
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dreamweave » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:51 pm

Richruffcut wrote:Best: A local festival with two thousand people propa going for it.

Worst: A club in Bournemouth called Sound Circus with about ten people and nobody dancing
Isn't sound circus a rock venue?

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:47 pm

best: a night my mate put on called Earblender, b2b with another mate. smallish night of various styles of obnoxious rave music - great fun though, plenty of mates and pretty much the only chance to hear the sort of stupid hardcore i love at a rave in the UK.

worst: a small night a mate put on above a pub in Northampton. trying to mix with a temperamental mixer on dodgy headphones with dodgy decks - whilst on a debilitating amount of acid - was literally exhausting. although in fairness the difficulty level increase was self inflicted :biggrin: and it was a fun night anyway, it was just trying to mix which was bad. also Northampton seemed weird.

but then I've never enjoyed playing out enough to seek out gigs at parties i wouldn't already be going to.

DJ Chance
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by DJ Chance » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:15 pm

Lock Ups for me as well - Played around 4 or 5 and each was banging. Like Lien says, played what I wanted and the crowd were up for it.

Loon-E - The Halloween one in Chatteris really sticks in the mind and the ones at Holbeach.

LOON-E
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by LOON-E » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:52 pm

Spalding (made all the papers)..march (the chicken shed parties) the chatteris night (in a field behind some pub) along with various Lock up on the marsh parties were all great nights..considering a small gang of us started out with just a genny n a gazeebo The Lock Up crew/partys/nights became mental..Organic sounds festy was the last time we had a Lock up tent..Rippa,s bday coming up..think we might put a night on again soon...will prob be in a pub though :)

LOON-E

Richruffcut
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Richruffcut » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:35 pm

Isn't sound circus a rock venue?
Yeah i think so, but a girl i knew at the time started putting on events around the area and she ask if i could play for £50. When i got there they didn't even have any decks set up. Total shocker! Think i even let her off the 50 sheets as it was such a flop. You owe me one Suz

ian saunders remix
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by ian saunders remix » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:43 pm

Traffic Cone wrote:best: also Northampton seemed weird.
[/Video]

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:15 am

Ha :lol: class

I won't ask how you know of the existence of such a tune - weirdly, it reminded me of this:

My kind of town.....

si 2 bad
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by si 2 bad » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:02 pm

Block 9 Glastonbury 2015 or Sterns in 1993/4.

Pub in Manchester. About 3 people there. Bloke spilt a whole pint on me.