How can you go to a happy hardcore rave without ending out

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
dial1
Regular
Regular

How can you go to a happy hardcore rave without ending out

Post by dial1 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:07 pm

in stitches on the floor?

Last time I took some acid after a 37 hour party marathon on K, MDMA, mushrooms and hash, I put on a slipmatt mix for the lulz and I kept mentally thinking (I'm visually impaired so I don't get open eye visuals...) about a big furry and rubbery bouncy dummy on a spring with piss, shit and earwax leaking out of its orifices. This even applies to the Scottish/euro stuff. which in no way resembles the soul and profound emotion of true techno music.

So I'm curious. How do you not end up getting chucked out of an HH rave? I think the sheer trauma of not being able to get up off the floor would break me. Like, how do people find this stuff soulful?

Genuine psychedelics users question I know, but it had to be done.

vigilante
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Re: How can you go to a happy hardcore rave without ending o

Post by vigilante » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:35 pm

96/97 i was bang into it , still draw for the odd set or tune at home, but been a long time since ive been in a rave with the happy crew, in fact i need to get out for a little rave up full stop, but that would be jungle or old skool these days.

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:56 am

dial1 wrote:Like, how do people find this stuff soulful?.
serious answer to probable troll question...

i suppose it depends what you mean by soulful. but if that means that it something to someone, that stirs genuine emotion...happy hardcore does that for me, and I'll try to explain.

part of it is definitely memories - i grew up obsessed with it, so that will always give it a certain space in my heart anyway.

but really, i think all the things that people find ridiculous in it, i find charming. there is just something fun for me about music that makes no attempt to be respectable, or subtle, that's just really over the top and obvious. but it's the fact it's so direct i think is why a lot of it stirs far more emotion in me than any proper techno (even the stuff that i do enjoy in that vein). there's something freeing about not being afraid of being ridiculous :D

it's not the only music i enjoy, i like a lot of stuff that's really not like that in a variety of ways. but that's why HHC is special to me. hope that answers your question \:D/

i'd also say...there's so many ways to relate to music, and it's so personal that i don't think you can say that any particular style has soul or profound emotion. because that feeling is in YOU, not from the music.

dial1
Regular
Regular

Post by dial1 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:08 am

Sure, I'm absolutely not afraid to be ridiculous, but even then I'd rather do it with satire or dark humour (see also postpunk.) None of which happy hardcore have. Like, my problem is that it doesn't relate to the london experiences in the same way that jungle or techno do.

Like, it's precisely not fun for me because once you get over the novelty of it there's nothing there that resonates. well for me at least.

I know this is an awful generalisation and snobbish stereotype but I couldn't imagine going to an HH rave and talk about getting beaten up/treated atrociously by the cops because I'm not white. It just feels like escapism, which is fine, but I like my escapism to be aware of the fact that is escapism and still keep its psychic armour on.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:48 am

One thing I rate about the whole Happy scene is that EVERYONE is cool.

They're there for a good time, nothing else. No "look at me" nonsense.

Saying that, the music is 99.9% terrible. The .1% being some stuff from '94'-'97. It's comical really.

I suppose it's one of the things I hate about music that fast - there's no direction. It can only get worse as it gets faster.

At least at 120/130bpm there's scope for digging/going on a journey. None of that at 150+.

Some of the Dj's from that scene like Brisk (one of the best Dj's in this country in his prime, IMO), Vinylgroover, Sy etc are top drawer Dj's who, technically, would hold their own in any scene.

The_Ruffneck
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by The_Ruffneck » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:18 am

I feel the same about Jungle/D&B, it lost the fun factor/taking the piss out of itself that hardcore had in the early 90s and took itself too seriously.Very few tracks i find enjoyable.After 1997 hardcore went too far though, became too cheesy and not enjoyable in any state.

eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by eazyflow » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:51 am

You are definitely the first ever person on the internet to state that HHC is an inferior form of dance music, dial1...

You should go and have a thumb through your Juan Atkins back cat to remind yourself how awesome you are :cool:

dial1
Regular
Regular

Post by dial1 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:08 pm

More a fan of UR and Mills myself :P

I just like music I can connect to. My life has been dark and darkness is comforting. I've learnt not to enjoy things that sound too good.

dial1
Regular
Regular

Post by dial1 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:10 pm

I don't hate happy hardcore. I find it amusing. Inferior? yes. Hate it? definitely not. There are worse things in the world, like smooth jazz or country.

I don't find it intolerable. It's just that visually and from a tactile perspective the images are just far too inappropriate for a rave. I wouldn't want to be on the floor in stitches at a rave whilst everyone wonders whether I've gone off the rails.

dial1
Regular
Regular

Post by dial1 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:11 pm

Listening to CJ Bolland's EM from 94. It's hardcore and uplifting, but in totally different ways. Very soulful!

dial1
Regular
Regular

Post by dial1 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:13 pm

I like the best of oldskool 92 piano hardcore because you can feel the chemicals and the whole zeitgeist of the scene at the time. But imo darkness was absolutely necessary circa 93.

dial1
Regular
Regular

Post by dial1 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:15 pm

But most of the hardcore from 91-92 I like isn't fun or taking the piss either. Esp the German stuff :)

dial1
Regular
Regular

Post by dial1 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:22 pm

Classic 94 hardcore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB86AAakPHg

And this beast from 92
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkZglptgvOU

Big Warlock and Jerome Hill favourite. IMO some of the few djs who came out of the breakbeat hardcore scene who are still keeping it real and pushing forward thinking techno and bass.

phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by phil » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:26 pm

I stopped listening to happy hardcore in early 95 when the breakbeat was replaced with a stompy beat. I remember going to tazmania in 96 and only jungle set was dj hype which was good, rest was aweful. shame as used to love the early double dipped events and the dream all nighters prior to that

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:38 pm

The easiest way to answer your question is that music is completely subjective. 99% of the planet think proper techno is garbage too. No music is right or wrong. There's just as much crap jungle and techno as there is happy hardcore.

I am often surprised how many people that were around in the 90s don't like happy hardcore, in my circle it was all just rave music. I would happily listen to Randall followed by Sy at Helter Skelter back in the day, in fact the disappearance of musical variety at raves is IMO one of the saddest things about its progress.