Jack Smooth interview

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
User avatar
lixx
Regular
Regular
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2003 5:17 pm
Location: Buffalo NY
Contact:

Re: Jack Smooth interview

Post by lixx » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:30 pm

Good read. My feelings on the whole dubplate culture thing are exactly the same, back then and still today. It's an absolute ridiculous practice that serves no one except DJ's with inflated egos. GET THE MUSIC OUT -always always always. I understand testing it out to see reactions, and getting audiences pumped on the radio, events etc but it really became a tool amongst a certain sect of DJ to clearly get bookings rather than a gauging tool.

I can't tell you how many times tunes went stale after the top DJ's held onto them too long. Labels duty is the the masses and the dj's who aren't famous who will buy the music and make the label grow, not top DJ's. They can get you exposure but it's a fine balance.

User avatar
alphawave ep
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master
Posts: 1537
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:57 pm
Location: in pub
Contact:

Re: Jack Smooth interview

Post by alphawave ep » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:13 pm

EXCELLENT READ ... Thank you !

User avatar
deebom
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:41 am

Re: Jack Smooth interview

Post by deebom » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:13 am

Really enjoyed that. Good stuff.

User avatar
RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:09 am
Contact:

Re: Jack Smooth interview

Post by RonWellsJS » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:22 am

That's a lot of stuff to answer in one hit, why not ask 1 or 2 at a time on the (seems to have become my) main questions thread.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=116226&start=630
dial1 wrote:
Hello. Don't really post on forums but I thought I'd ask a few because I've always been more techno than hardcore.

Did you ever want to branch into the ambient/idm/intelligent techno scene? Autechre, Black Dog, Bedouin Ascent etc.

What did you think of early trance records on rising high, harthouse etc. Isn't a bit of an irony that a lot of liquid dnb now imitates crappy trance records when the original sound was quite techno and krautrock/ebm influenced?

Did you eventually feel that the jazzy jungle thing was becoming genteel coffee table music? I can't listen to much dnb after 97. this is one of the last ones I enjoyed. definitely loved techstep until 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjCnQv955K4

What do you think of producers like Lee Gamble, ASC, Shapednoise, Logos, Mumdance Imaginary Forces? What's been impressing you in electronic music these days? What are your views on modern techno? Are you liking the resurgence of analogue, modulars and more groovier, rawer sounds?

Following on from that, why do you think drum and bass hasn't had much longevity, whereas genres like techno and ambient have? A lot of darkcore was very techno influenced as well as the better end of the jazz jungle stuff. It could have been a credible thing underground, like modern techno, but I can't really think of any modern dnb djs I'd love to see. Have a raft of techno gigs planned for the next few months.

Did the early grime records impress you at the time? Did any of them remind you of Drexciya/aux88? Thoughts on dubstep. Were these genres sonically progressive for you or haven't we evolved since jungle and techno?

:)

Sorry, just good to chat to one of the producers I look up to because of the strong strong techno influences. Everything begins with a T!

User avatar
RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:09 am
Contact:

Re: Jack Smooth interview

Post by RonWellsJS » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:31 am

looks like I've picked up a trolling stalker in the comments section... Social media was invented to expose these assholes.
:lol:

http://www.theransomnote.co.uk/music/go ... -straight/

User avatar
eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy
Posts: 2518
Joined: Sat May 10, 2003 1:25 pm
Location: Hull

Re: Jack Smooth interview

Post by eazyflow » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:24 pm

I might be being thick here, but how do I view the comments section?

User avatar
dj jedi
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10142
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2001 12:00 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Jack Smooth interview

Post by dj jedi » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:53 pm

Phil's reply is interesting, I know people who worked for his distribution company over the years and they also share the opinion it was terribly managed. Some people seem to confuse success with being in the right place at the right time. Enough morons ran a record label back in the day, it wasn't exactly hard when even the shittest white label would sell 1000 copies. The fact his labels and distribution companies have folded several times since sales dropped and it actually took some talent to run a record label speaks for itself.

User avatar
RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:09 am
Contact:

Re: Jack Smooth interview

Post by RonWellsJS » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:59 pm

dj jedi wrote:Phil's reply is interesting, I know people who worked for his distribution company over the years and they also share the opinion it was terribly managed. Some people seem to confuse success with being in the right place at the right time. Enough morons ran a record label back in the day, it wasn't exactly hard when even the shittest white label would sell 1000 copies. The fact his labels and distribution companies have folded several times since sales dropped and it actually took some talent to run a record label speaks for itself.
Perfection.

;-)

MJS57
Regular
Regular
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:54 am
Location: West Berkshire

Re: Jack Smooth interview

Post by MJS57 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:09 pm

eazyflow wrote:I might be being thick here, but how do I view the comments section?
Wait a while for the page to fully load, the page is linked into Facebook comments so they don't show up straigt away, especially on a mobile browser.

They are, as usual, at the bottom of the article.

User avatar
eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy
Posts: 2518
Joined: Sat May 10, 2003 1:25 pm
Location: Hull

Re: Jack Smooth interview

Post by eazyflow » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:30 pm

MJS57 wrote:
eazyflow wrote:I might be being thick here, but how do I view the comments section?
Wait a while for the page to fully load, the page is linked into Facebook comments so they don't show up straigt away, especially on a mobile browser.

They are, as usual, at the bottom of the article.
Ah, Facebook is blocked at work so that probably explains why I'm not seeing anything. Will check it at home later. Love a good bit of controversy me :biggrin:

DJ Chance
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy
Posts: 3168
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Stevenage. Herts

Re: Jack Smooth interview

Post by DJ Chance » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:30 pm

RonWellsJS wrote:looks like I've picked up a trolling stalker in the comments section... Social media was invented to expose these assholes.
:lol:

http://www.theransomnote.co.uk/music/go ... -straight/
Interesting comments section! Us mere ravers always thought it was all rosey in the hardcore garden (well I did anyway) I guess when money is involved it turns peoples heads. The comments could be as interesting as the interview! (Great read btw)

User avatar
RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:09 am
Contact:

Re: Jack Smooth interview

Post by RonWellsJS » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:36 am

DJ Chance wrote:
RonWellsJS wrote:looks like I've picked up a trolling stalker in the comments section... Social media was invented to expose these assholes.
:lol:

http://www.theransomnote.co.uk/music/go ... -straight/
Interesting comments section! Us mere ravers always thought it was all rosey in the hardcore garden (well I did anyway) I guess when money is involved it turns peoples heads. The comments could be as interesting as the interview! (Great read btw)
The comments are fine when they are true... being described as a 'money grabber' is at best a sick joke when all I wanted back then was enough to live on and set some aside to keep improving the studio, I lived a very humble life back then, I didn't even own a car - it was all about music.

There was never any money involved... nobody in that setup made significant money from it.

:-)

User avatar
lien
B2VOS VIP 2011
B2VOS VIP 2011
Posts: 9017
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:29 pm

Re: Jack Smooth interview

Post by lien » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:56 am

RonWellsJS wrote:There was never any money involved... nobody in that setup made significant money from it.
Money was in the Dj'ing back then £200/300 per set & do 2 (possibly 3) a night for a few years & you might make yourself a few squid.

ian saunders remix
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver
Posts: 318
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:35 am

Re: Jack Smooth interview

Post by ian saunders remix » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:52 am

lien wrote:
RonWellsJS wrote:There was never any money involved... nobody in that setup made significant money from it.
Money was in the Dj'ing back then £200/300 per set & do 2 (possibly 3) a night for a few years & you might make yourself a few squid.

Especially if you didn't declare it to the taxman *cough* Bukem *cough*.

User avatar
Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy
Posts: 3447
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:53 pm

Re: Jack Smooth interview

Post by Restless » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:00 pm

ian saunders remix wrote:
lien wrote:
RonWellsJS wrote:There was never any money involved... nobody in that setup made significant money from it.
Money was in the Dj'ing back then £200/300 per set & do 2 (possibly 3) a night for a few years & you might make yourself a few squid.

Especially if you didn't declare it to the taxman *cough* Bukem *cough*.
Did LTJ get stung for something like this then?

Locked