Jack Smooth interview

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
STG
Regular
Regular

Re: Jack Smooth interview

Post by STG » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:43 pm

Looking forward to checking it out!

ian saunders remix
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by ian saunders remix » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:11 pm

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:56 pm

Great read mate, thoroughly enjoyed it :)

ian saunders remix
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by ian saunders remix » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:38 pm

dj jedi wrote:Great read mate, thoroughly enjoyed it :)
Cheers Edd!

Thrash
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Thrash » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:22 pm

Quality interview.

ian saunders remix
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by ian saunders remix » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:33 pm

Cheers!

Ric
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Post by Ric » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:18 pm

A jolly good read that.

lien
B2VOS VIP 2011
B2VOS VIP 2011

Post by lien » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:01 pm

Good read that :)

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:43 am

Has anybody posted the Mixmag interview before? don't think I've seen it.

si 2 bad
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by si 2 bad » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:02 am

Great read. I like the honesty in it and the fact that Ron is not afraid to speak his mind - too many brown nosers in this game. I often used to get in trouble at Moving Shadow for speaking out (once getting us banned from airplay on Kiss FM)but that is just me.
Wish he was still producing.

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:59 am

Morning chaps,

All I have done is answer some questions honestly and accurately (I didn't seek the publicity, it came asking).

I was truthful but I was actually quite reserved given the detail I could have gone into, which would have been considerably more unpleasant for the people in question and some others avoided exposure.

The way I see it is this...

If after 20 years if someone comes asking for the truth about what went on all those years ago, I'm not obligated to lie to protect people that I have little or no respect for due to their inappropriate behaviour. The truth is the facts and I'm not in a position, or remotely willing, to change history to save the egos of a few chancers.

I have since been congratulated by some of those who were there (including some artists) for painting an accurate picture that, for them, should have been told earlier.

The interview no doubt reflects many others general experiences in the music 'industry', many of whom will have had a rougher ride than me (and many of my associates) back then.

I've said it before, but it needs saying again... the support you guys afford me is very humbly and gratefully received.

With warmest regards : Ron

silky
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by silky » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:50 pm

RonWellsJS wrote:Morning chaps,

All I have done is answer some questions honestly and accurately (I didn't seek the publicity, it came asking).

I was truthful but I was actually quite reserved given the detail I could have gone into, which would have been considerably more unpleasant for the people in question and some others avoided exposure.

If after 20 years if someone comes asking for the truth about what went on all those years ago, I'm not obligated to lie to protect people that I have little or no respect for due to their inappropriate behaviour. The truth is the facts and I'm not in a position, or remotely willing, to change history to save the egos of a few chancers.

I have since been congratulated by some of those who were there (including some artists) for painting an accurate picture that, for them, should have been told earlier.

The interview no doubt reflects many others general experiences in the music 'industry', many of whom will have had a rougher ride than me (and many of my associates) back then.

I've said it before, but it needs saying again... the support you guys afford me is very humbly and gratefully received.

Fantastic read Ian, great job on the interview.

Ron I really do hope you stick around here for the foreseeable future. No need to thank us for the support, Your music and your professionalism has earned that right.

dial1
Regular
Regular

Post by dial1 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:36 am

silky wrote:
RonWellsJS wrote:Morning chaps,

Fantastic read Ian, great job on the interview.

Ron I really do hope you stick around here for the foreseeable future. No need to thank us for the support, Your music and your professionalism has earned that right.
Hello. Don't really post on forums but I thought I'd ask a few because I've always been more techno than hardcore.

Did you ever want to branch into the ambient/idm/intelligent techno scene? Autechre, Black Dog, Bedouin Ascent etc.

What did you think of early trance records on rising high, harthouse etc. Isn't a bit of an irony that a lot of liquid dnb now imitates crappy trance records when the original sound was quite techno and krautrock/ebm influenced?

Did you eventually feel that the jazzy jungle thing was becoming genteel coffee table music? I can't listen to much dnb after 97. this is one of the last ones I enjoyed. definitely loved techstep until 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjCnQv955K4

What do you think of producers like Lee Gamble, ASC, Shapednoise, Logos, Mumdance Imaginary Forces? What's been impressing you in electronic music these days? What are your views on modern techno? Are you liking the resurgence of analogue, modulars and more groovier, rawer sounds?

Following on from that, why do you think drum and bass hasn't had much longevity, whereas genres like techno and ambient have? A lot of darkcore was very techno influenced as well as the better end of the jazz jungle stuff. It could have been a credible thing underground, like modern techno, but I can't really think of any modern dnb djs I'd love to see. Have a raft of techno gigs planned for the next few months.

Did the early grime records impress you at the time? Did any of them remind you of Drexciya/aux88? Thoughts on dubstep. Were these genres sonically progressive for you or haven't we evolved since jungle and techno?

:)

Sorry, just good to chat to one of the producers I look up to because of the strong strong techno influences. Everything begins with a T!

vigilante
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by vigilante » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:36 am

very interesting interview, had those links to the tunes playing in the background while i read it, good stuff

Elusive9T2
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Elusive9T2 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:41 am

Ruthless, I loved it, interesting too, nice work =D>