Tunes that still smash it.....

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
Fizza
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver
Posts: 822
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 2:37 am

Re: Tunes that still smash it.....

Post by Fizza » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:08 pm

rage wrote: I'd love to hear it through the ears of a youngster now who would have grown up with much more advanced production, and whether it sounds like it's from a bygone era, like 60s and 70s sounded like to me when I was a kid.
That thought has gone through my mind too, someone who's 20 would listen to this like how we listen to Herman's Hermits.. It has to! 8bit what??

MJS57
Regular
Regular
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:54 am
Location: West Berkshire

Re: Tunes that still smash it.....

Post by MJS57 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:41 pm

My 4 year old son loves a Sy Obsession 93 tape I have, always wants it on in the car. It's pretty cute actually, hearing him try and copy the samples, hearing him singing 'go with the flow' and melodies on the way to school. But I wondered if he'll hate it when he's gets to be a teenager, just like I hated my parents music. Maybe not because of the music itself, but doesn't every teenager start to despise their parents music just because it is their parents music? And who knows what he'll be listening to in 15 years time. The mind boggles.

Fizza
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver
Posts: 822
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 2:37 am

Re: Tunes that still smash it.....

Post by Fizza » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:38 am

MJS57 wrote:My 4 year old son loves a Sy Obsession 93 tape I have, always wants it on in the car. It's pretty cute actually, hearing him try and copy the samples, hearing him singing 'go with the flow' and melodies on the way to school. But I wondered if he'll hate it when he's gets to be a teenager, just like I hated my parents music. Maybe not because of the music itself, but doesn't every teenager start to despise their parents music just because it is their parents music? And who knows what he'll be listening to in 15 years time. The mind boggles.
I don't know, there was always the cooler side of the 60s/70s that was ok for teenagers to listen to I suppose, I think it's stuff like Rozalla and the chart fodder of the 90s that they'll rebel against mainly, I think the underground hardcore will possibly retain its counter-cultural cool like punk has (someone confirm that punk actually has done that please!). But that's if they develop a real taste for music aside from just liking what's in the top 40 or whatever, if that will still even exist fifteen years down the line.

But it is true to say that hardcore is old enough at present to be, to most club going age groups, music that their parent's listen(ed) to..

User avatar
silky
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver
Posts: 596
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:47 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Tunes that still smash it.....

Post by silky » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:39 am

For me I am going back to 91.

Just upped this to the TUBE!

Cracking piano house vocal track on Debut (Which is an excellent label)

This track sounds more like an early to mid 92 house/techno.

Proper rushy driving tune! SMASH IT!


User avatar
The_Ruffneck
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 6:06 am
Location: Australia

Re: Tunes that still smash it.....

Post by The_Ruffneck » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:52 am

I never rated the e5 mix of this sound, much prefer the original.



rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy
Posts: 3037
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2002 2:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Tunes that still smash it.....

Post by rage » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:38 am

The_Ruffneck wrote:I never rated the e5 mix of this sound, much prefer the original.
Funny you should say that, I always thought the same but dug out the E5 version for a radio show recently and enjoyed it, those pianos on the intro are fun for chopping. If I had to choose one record though the original 12 is the one though because of Manic Stampede which I love to bits!

Krome n Time performed in Bournemouth last year and I asked if they could play it when I bumped into them before their set, they started with it which made my day hehe.

Equilibrium is such a brilliant track too, only discovered it recently.

User avatar
renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons
Posts: 20208
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2002 5:53 am
Location: Bat Beat Vol 2 - It's Still Here!!!! (as are a few copies of Vol 1)

Re: Tunes that still smash it.....

Post by renegadegenius » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:55 am

Few 91 faves that still get blasted in the car :)

Nebula II - Atheama


Prodigy - Your Love


The Hypnotist - Hardcore You Know The Score


Zero Zero - Xeroed


Channel X - Rave The Rhythm

User avatar
lien
B2VOS VIP 2011
B2VOS VIP 2011
Posts: 9017
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:29 pm

Re: Tunes that still smash it.....

Post by lien » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:56 am

The_Ruffneck wrote:I never rated the e5 mix of this sound, much prefer the original.
Why do I still get shocked when I find out something is full of samples of another tune. That tune is amazing :)

Also RG, is Your Love original the best Prodigy track ever?

ian saunders remix
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver
Posts: 318
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:35 am

Re: Tunes that still smash it.....

Post by ian saunders remix » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:10 am

Fizza wrote: I think the underground hardcore will possibly retain its counter-cultural cool like punk has (someone confirm that punk actually has done that please!)
I can confirm that punk has done this.

User avatar
pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy
Posts: 4498
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:23 am
Location: West Sussex

Re: Tunes that still smash it.....

Post by pineappletribe » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:50 am

MJS57 wrote:And pineappletribe - were you anything to do with the pineapple tribe back in the day? Went to a couple of Ridgeway parties in the mid 90's that had the pineapple truck up there. Great nights.
yeah that's us lot! :wink:

MJS57
Regular
Regular
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:54 am
Location: West Berkshire

Re: Tunes that still smash it.....

Post by MJS57 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:10 pm

pineappletribe wrote:
MJS57 wrote:And pineappletribe - were you anything to do with the pineapple tribe back in the day? Went to a couple of Ridgeway parties in the mid 90's that had the pineapple truck up there. Great nights.
yeah that's us lot! :wink:
Insane! Respect due, they were great nights, that big old army truck with the soundsystem in it. I remember a small 'wall of tv's' like 3x3 of them at one night, with cool visuals. Near Wantage. All that in a field on a hill in summer, some guy was doing tea and chocolate out the back of a escort van. Brilliant.

User avatar
renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons
Posts: 20208
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2002 5:53 am
Location: Bat Beat Vol 2 - It's Still Here!!!! (as are a few copies of Vol 1)

Re: Tunes that still smash it.....

Post by renegadegenius » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:51 pm

lien wrote:
Also RG, is Your Love original the best Prodigy track ever?
It's not bad is it ;)
That EP & the Everybody In The Place EP are the 2 best (for me anyway) - every tune is quality.

User avatar
lien
B2VOS VIP 2011
B2VOS VIP 2011
Posts: 9017
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:29 pm

Re: Tunes that still smash it.....

Post by lien » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:58 pm



or


Fizza
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver
Posts: 822
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 2:37 am

Re: Tunes that still smash it.....

Post by Fizza » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:36 pm

ian saunders remix wrote:
Fizza wrote: I think the underground hardcore will possibly retain its counter-cultural cool like punk has (someone confirm that punk actually has done that please!)
I can confirm that punk has done this.
Thanks! :)

User avatar
cozza
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver
Posts: 744
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Always about

Re: Tunes that still smash it.....

Post by cozza » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:08 pm

Eat Life - Bach to Basics

Locked